Lower Noise Floor Peaking EQ?

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Chester01, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

Is there a way to reduce the noise floor of the peaking EQ? Im getting aound -75.5 db (however I like to have it be -Inf when im not playing ANY sound through the card) Any ideas? I did notice that if i play something through the card and pause it, sometimes it goes to -Inf and sometimes its -75.5 is it really going to -Inf but Peak is reporting otherwize? Thanks!

-Matt

2. Soeren_B

Soeren_B kX Project DSP Engineer

Hi,

I am sorry, but I can not reproduce this. Do you have any plugins before the Peaking EQ?

/Soeren

3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

imo, this is just the AC97 input noise floor

mute the ac97 fader and see if it is still there

4. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

well its wierd, sometimes it goes to -76 db, sometimes that in one channel and -Inf in the other channel and sometiems it goes to -Inf in both, the order that audio is going into the plugin is p16v->stereo mix ->gain Hq (im adding negative gain with this, not positive) ->Peaking EQ, I can play something into the Peaking EQ and then disconnect the gain HQ plugin (so it has no input) and still Peak shows a -76 db noisefloor. Could this just be a peak plugin problem?

5. Soeren_B

Soeren_B kX Project DSP Engineer

It has been ages since I wrote the EQ plugins, but IIRC the plugins will end up outputting zeroes after a while (few samples) if the input becomes zeroes. The only way it can keep outputting samples is if:

1) There is input

2) It is giong into self-occilation (which is unlikely because then the signal would increase unless you are pretty damn precise with your input - which has to present for this to happen, so I guess this rules out this one).

The plugin is an implementation of a Direct Form 1 biquad filter in which the incomming samples are multiplied in each section of the formulae. So, if the input is zero the output is zero (after some samples).

/Soeren

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  6. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

yea i cant actually HEAR the noise but Peak says its there

7. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

you have to really crank your speakers to hear it