Lower Your graphics card latency

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by germanjulian, Jul 21, 2004.

1. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

UPDATE:
    OK, the latency for the AGP bus for ATI cards is indeed 255! even when you select 32 in your BIOS.
    if you search your registry for DisableProgPCILatency and change the value from 0 to 1 this will be changed on the next restart to 32!!!!
    You can check your latency of all buses with this program:
    http://www.transformerman1.plus.com/LtcyCfg.zip

What the author or the article below claims is that this fixes some stuttering in games but moreover get rids of audio popping and cracking issues, due to some devices taking up to much CPU time (high latency).
    with the program you can also change the latency from 32 to another you desire (remeber it has to something which can be devided by 8).

Anyway I tested it only with Colin McRae 4 which I found stuttered very much for me (very little stutters) even though I had 50FPS. WIth this tweak the stutters are gone!

Never experienced stutters with other games before but hey it does not hurt graphics performance! (tested with 3dmark03).

anyway try it if you want:

http://www.transformerman1.plus.com/LtcyCfg.zip

Get the tool and see if your graphiccard is running at 248ms latency. Is it?

Decrease latency of it (or any other device with a latency, '000' means: has none) to 64 or below (below may not be faster, depends on system) and go into your favorite 3D game!

Any difference? I say YES and put my hands in fire for that.

Note that you can save the config it to a file (click 'add to list first' or it won't work) and load it via batch file (read me) when windows starts because otherwise windows will overwrite your settings with the next boot (JUST LIKE IT DOES WITH YOUR BIOS SETTINGS! GRMMF!)

Ok, to clear some things up.

1. The changes apply for AGP also!
    2. You do not have to do it after every boot.

a) Start program and make the changes you want (enter number and click 'set now' for the device you want to change) - make sure you don't touch the devices that don't have 000 (no) latency at all
    B) mark ALL entries and click on 'add to list', you will see a new column called 'new' on the right (means it's added)
    C) press 'save as' and save the table to a config file with a name you like into the program folder I suggest
    d) Go into the program folder, create a txt file and write into it:

C:\LtcyCfg\LtcyCfg.exe -f:C:\LtcyCfg\config.cfg <- Replace with your path and name of config file of course. (I think you could leave the folders away as the file resides in the same directory of the program, but I never trust windows in such cases)

Then save the txt-file and replace it's extension with BAT (if you can't see the extension you'll have to go to your windows-explorer->extras->folder options->somewhere...Google if you don't know and disable the 'hide extensions from known file types' or whatever it's called in the English version of XP)

e) Drag a shortcut of that BAT-file into your auto start folder

f) Done, if you want to make changes repeat step a-c. Happy gaming and more overall power (even on desktop)

3. Possible heat problem: I WOULD say no. Me and my friends (one doesn't even have a fan on his ATI!!!) didn't encounter any problems but only improvement of performance.

Let me try to explain why (simple words, I'm no technician):

Decreasing the latency does NOT mean INCREASING the response time of your hardware!

The BUS latency stands for: How much time does a component of your PC (graphic card, network card, and sound card) have to perform an operation before another component can! Note that only one component can use the BUS at one time, then the next, then the next. In other words: instead of letting your graphic card do 100 operations in 248ms you set it to a lower number of operations in 32, 64, 128ms. (32 is minimum and must be a number that

can be divided by 8)

So the problem is while leaving the graphic card latency at 248ms - which it is mostly set to - that the component has TOO MUCH time and other important operations (soundcard for example) can not be performed in time, so the queue list is getting bigger and bigger-> CPU overload.

Experiment a little with the settings and see what gets you best performance. In my opinion it's mostly the graphic card latency that hogs the CPU but you may tweak a little more out of it. Depends on hardware I guess. I have all my components set to 32ms now.

For more info go here: http://www.mark-knutson.com/technique_to_target_inc/ (Note that at this URL you'll find another program called PCIDAWG. It does exactly the same but has no possibility of loading it with windows, anyway the information you'll find there is pretty good. It's written by the programmer of PCIDAWG)

- - - - -
    ADDED SOME MORE INFO:

Some of you might wonder why you have the "PCI Latency time" option in your BIOS if the PCI latency is messed up if you don't use a program like this one here.

1. Windows overwrites this setting. *Duh*
    2. Some manufacturers of graphic cards and (possibly other hardware) set the latency of their cards to 248ms internally on the card itself (the programmer of PCIDAWG says that they do it to boost performance and that they are obviously wrong with that in most cases)

Who knows why they didn't play out THAT joker by now. ; )
    - - - - -

One more thing: Don't blame me for a blown up card. I do not expect this to happen as I made only (and many) good experiences by tweaking these settings on many different PC systems. I tried to explain why hardware damage is probably never going to happen above BUT AT LAST: I'm no technician and no graphic card manufacturer.

also worth checking out is: http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/vie...er=asc&start=15

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  2. germanjulian

3. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Nice links, I'm going to go read them now, and experiment a bit with my system...

4. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

Possible sticky? Looks awesome :)

5. SchwarzeFeen

SchwarzeFeen New Member

Cannot wait to test this out!!! Can't believe i haven't seen this before?!

6. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Nice find man :)

7. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Ahh yes..

Popping audio.. I stumbled across this before. It didn't do anything for me though.

8. Chilljf

Chilljf New Member

Here is alot of info on agp latency & ways to change it. Most info discussed here is in this thread & solved. http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=326158 I found pci latency 32/agp latency 64 works best for me(dif clks work better for others, so try yourself). I do not suggest using powerstrip as I noticed it took 50% CPU when I clicked 3dmark & then proceeded to stay at 100% while the 3dmark window was open. You can use wpcredit to change the agp latency.
    ATI Users -
    All u have to do is Find "DisableProgPCILatency"= 0 & set it to 1 in registry. This will stop the ATI drivers from overiding your agp latency. Then use wpcredit to change
    BUS#2 DEV#0 FUN#0

Offset: 0D
    Default data: FF (248clk)

Change to:
    32clk: 20
    64clk: 40
    128clk: 80
    160clk : A0
    192clk : C0
    224clk : E0
    255clk : FF

btw.. I dont know if nvidia card drivers override the agp latency.. if someone can test nvidia card & confirm

Here is a nice database of settings that can be changed from wpcredit. Thx tictac
    * nVidia nForce2 Data Base *

1) AGP Controller Latency
    PCI Bus#0 Dev#30 Func#0 Offset#0D

0D
    - 16 clock : 10
    - 32 clock : 20
    - 64 clock : 40
    - 96 clock : 60
    - 128 clock : 80
    - 160 clock : A0
    - 192 clock : C0
    - 224 clock : E0
    - 255 clock : FF

2) AGP Bus Latency
    PCI Bus#0 Dev#30 Func#0 Offset#1B

1B

3) PCI Latency
    PCI Bus#0 Dev#8 Func#0 Offset#1B

1B

here are some more threads on it.. I posted it over month+ ago.. I thought I did here too, musta missed it..
    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50182&start=15
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33764542

9. Chilljf

Chilljf New Member

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=337721
    Here is a Windows Program from tictac (Abit Bios King) & CodeRed @ XtremeSystems.org allowing tweaking to all nForce2 base board on:

- Memory Alpha Timing
    - AGP Controller Latency
    - AGP Bus Latency
    - PCI Latency

Here is some info on what Memory Alpha Timing is.. http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=335978

Alot of good things have been goin on wit Abit's NF7 because of alot of great guys & hard work/time modding bioses.. alot of peeps breaking 250 fsb with 2-2-2-11 1T .. Its a great mobo & will hold me over to nforce 4 chipset this winter

10. Chilljf

Chilljf New Member

Re: Ahh yes..

Not sure what mobo your using or soundcard, but a common cause of audio cracking/popping is from the south bridge overheating. Most southbridges dont come with heatsinks but it is a good idea to throw one on there. Abit had commented bout sound cracking problem w/southbridge heat & is now adding heatsinks to their new nf7

11. germanjulian

yeah that was more back in the kt333 days.. the popping sounds and sound card issues but some people still suffere from this

12. Chilljf

Chilljf New Member

I see alot of people w/nforce2 mobo's that have sound cracking. Some users have been able to find fixes depending upon their case, but some none. http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthrea...62&perpage=15&highlight=cracking&pagenumber=1

yea alot of kt333 users had problems with sound blaster cards. George Breeze made a couple custom patches that change latency & other settings. I used to have sound cracking w/ audigy 2 runing raid 0 o my old kt400 rig, then I tweaked Greorge Brezze patches best to my system & they solved my problem. I still have them on an old cd if someone needs them or they are not available on web anymore.

13. Pman

Pman New Member

were is the auto start folder that you put the .bat into?

14. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

OMG why hasnt more people posted in here this is a godlike app ! changed my AGP x800 Pro from 255 to 032 and now i have noticed Windows XP Pro behaveing a little faster and also FARCRY i have noticed a boost :D going to have to mess about with this little thing a little longer to get the correct settings though lol dont want to blow anything up but i did notice my X800`s Temps where the same as they have always been no change there so no heat ishues ect. motherboard temps from the northbridge seem the same aswell no changed there ! i dont know why this isnt stickyed and that hardly no one has posted its crazy heh

15. apoch003

apoch003 New Member

"e) Drag a shortcut of that BAT-file into your auto start folder"

What does this mean?

I dragged it into my windows startup folder but that didn't work.
    I looked for a folder named "autostart" and "auto start", that didn't work.

What do you mean by auto start folder?

16. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

That key looks famular i'm 99.9% sure thats in the *** drivers :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  17. germanjulian

yes that key is part of the ATI drives. when you disable it (set it to 1) the agp latency becomes the latency used in the BIOS! not 248 any more. atitool will have a tweak for this now. the guy who developed this told me. that key exists like 10 times in my registry. changed them all to 1 no problems. benchmarks are all the same. I tested with different latencies. and the auto startup folder is the when you press the start button, programs and whatever you put in the folder start will start every time windows boots up. make a shortcut to the bat file and dont acctually but the bat file in there. If I where you I would not bother using the porgram though! just do the registry tweak. easier and same effect.

18. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

interesting, so if this comes in the drivers, unian and omega should be using this no? i mean they use this? :p

19. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

nope they dont use this wich is weird :p

btw Avril Lavigne i like her music aswell and just bought here new album :p
    she never smiles though does she hehe :)

20. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

i put it in here and it works fine:

C:\Documents and Settings\***USER NAME HERE***\Start Menu\Programs\Startup