Lower Your graphics card latency

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by germanjulian, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Chilljf

Chilljf New Member

You will not gain fps from this. Setting the agp latency lower will sometimes help fix stuttering in games & movies. I found movies always had a jerkyness for me & setting agp latency lower solved it for me. Setting agp latency low can actually cause display & graphical problems as thats why ATI overrides it to 244/255. PCI clk settings are not universal for everyone so depending on your hardware/rig, certain settings work better/worse for others. Default is 32 clks & is what most people use, but some users perfer 64 & have solved problems with using 64 clks.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  2. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

erm dude its not ATI that puts overrides it its plain ol jain windows lol its works fine for me aswell on 32 agp latency from 255 agp latency and all is fine but i need to find out what the best setting woudl be its a bit like trying to find what your best AGP 64/128 or 256 lol is :p

3. phongtruong12

phongtruong12 New Member

wow thanks man. i never knew WHY my speakers were crackling. i always thought it was something with the drivers or maybe my speakers were blown. now i know!!

4. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

did this acctually fix your issue???

5. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

there is one game and only 1 game that makes my speaker crackle and pop and even with 32 agp latency it does not fix the problem and thats FARCRY :( all other game si play are fine wonder why Farcry goes tits up with my Audigy 2 ZS card :/

6. germanjulian

switch of eax. with eax my machine crashed in farcry constantly. oh and use a usb keyboard not ps2. ahh what else...

7. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Very nice post germanjulian - I used the PCI latency patch years ago for hard drive improvement but didn't notice a difference and just didn't keep up.

I'm gonna try the registry thing from here and see if it doesn't fix the stuttering problem I've had in DX games on the home unit below. It'll be a while before I get to post back on this but I'll let you know...

Thanks!

8. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

should of asked.... alot of chipsets have latency patch for that very issue

some one does.... i'm not saying who

also the key

DisableProgPCILatency

does not exist in my windows xp corp SP2 registry

were are you finding the key?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  9. Chilljf

Chilljf New Member

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\]

I am also using sp2 rc2 (2162). DisableProgPCILatency location did not change from sp1 for me. I did notice that under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM , there is now ControlSet003. In Win XP sp1 there is ControlSet001, ControlSet002 & CurrentControlSet. Seems they changed ControlSet002 to ControlSet003 in sp2. If Im not mistaking, CurrentControlSet is same as ControlSet001 & ControlSet002(3 in sp2) is just a backup

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{6C7C2024-52C4-441B-B1BB-EC3F72B39C0B}\0000]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{AB16D567-48CE-455B-A3C8-61A15CBEE3FF}\0000]

The numbers might not be the same for u & u should have a couple dif entries in the registry. You have to find the ATI strings not VGA. I changed it in both ATI strings, but I think it might only be neccassry in one. I did this after a clean install, so I didnt have numerious entries in there. U might wanna run driver cleaner to clean up the reg here if its messy. Find "DisableProgPCILatency"= 0 & set it to 1, this will set agp pci latency to bios setting. Changing all of the DisableProgPCILatency entries will not cause harm as most entries are from previous drivers

10. The_Neon_Cowboy

but they key is added by ? Ati drivers? ATI CP? Or is this an xp added key?

trying to track this down and clarify

becouse when i did a search of the registry i didn't get any hits for that key

11. Chilljf

Chilljf New Member

Its added by ATI driver.. same place temporallAA located http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=4533&head=1&comments=1
    Here is reg key if u wanna add it yourself "DisableProgPCILatency"=dword:00000001

You really dont even need to change DisableProPCI key unless u want agp latency to run same as bios pci setting. If u want to run dif agp lat, then you can use WPCREDIT to change the setting. WPCRSET does not work. It seems that WPCRSET loads 1st (setting value), then windows loads ATI drivers & checks DisableProPCI, then resets its value (1 = bios setting, 0 = 244/255).

Dont wanna take credit away from patch maker.. someone's work to better the community is always appreciated on my end.;) WPCREDIT works fine for me, I use it change agp latency b4 I play a game or watch a movie. I had no problems with agp latency 32/64/128/255 & lower lats work better for me.
    Changes reset on reboot if u should encounter any problems.

btw.. Neon, check pm ... still have hl2 coupon for sale?

12. The_Neon_Cowboy

Ok here is an easy way to set it with your driver install

open you ati driver .inf's

look for

[ati2mtag_SoftwareDeviceSettings]

Add the line:

HKR,, DisableProgPCILatency, %REG_DWORD%, 1

but anywhere before the lines start to read
    HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\

then install your drivers and walla you done....

verified it works properly!

before 255 now 32 by default

13. germanjulian

nice one Neon. Weird that it took 4 days for this thread to take off :)

14. The_Neon_Cowboy

not really the key don't exist in alot of setups and it's a hassle the driver way is the easy way
    people don't like mokeying with thier registry

15. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

i do....:rofl:

16. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

do we have some benchmarks to show the diff between regular latency and modded latency?

17. apoch003

apoch003 New Member

It's not really a benching tweak. It's just for stuttering conflicts between pci and agp.

18. Geminiwave

okay.

well I had hoped it would fix the blasted audio problem with some DX games but it did not. All of the patches and fixes for this seem not to work which discourages me greatly *sigh*

19. The_Neon_Cowboy

what is that? Whats up?

20. Geminiwave

oh...the usual popping and crackeling. Funny thing is that it is REALLY bad in Halo(I swear that game gives me more trouble every day) and pretty bad in some other games. I have a Live! 5.1 very new. It happens when hardware acceleration is on with EAX 1. When I use EAX2 though, the sound is WONDERFUL! But only one of my games really supports EAX2 (call of duty)

btw I've done the registry edit to turn off the turbo thing and it didnt work.