Lower Your graphics card latency

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by germanjulian, Jul 21, 2004.

1. gkajaia

gkajaia New Member

Geminiwave
    What do You thing I'm noob? Of cource I use Drivercleaner whenever it's neccesary.

2. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

Hey...I was just checking. thats usually the problem and it fixes most peoples problems. I was just trying to help. I didnt say anyone was a n00b. Besides sometimes even the most experienced people forget some little detail and then that fixes the whole thing.

On a different note. I changed the latency on everything and at first saw no difference...THEN I noticed that the textures in Halo arent messed up anymore! It shadows properly!!! AND it doesnt glitch up so bad! IM PSYCHED!

3. gkajaia

gkajaia New Member

Geminiwave ok forget it :) Anyways thanks for help. Today I'll try 6800GT and see if it has the same issue.

4. classic_leon

classic_leon Well-Known Member

nice ,man

5. lanwarrior

lanwarrior New Member

Gjakala, how much memorhy you have in your system? If I play BF1942 Vietnam or Americas Army, the game was stuttering with 512 Mb of RAM. With 1Gb, no more stuttering. I ran AA and then switch to Windows (Alt-tab) and noticed in Task Manager that the game was using 612 Mb. No wonder with 512 Mb the game was stuttering because of all the HDD activity.

6. gkajaia

gkajaia New Member

I have 1 GB of ram (2 sticks of 512MB each) and HDD is not active when playing.

7. Gurm

Gurm Hail to the King, Baby!

Ok normally I hate to dredge up old threads, but...

1. For those who are seeing multiple entries in their VIDEO section... the only one that matters is CURRENT CONTROL SET. The other ones are prior drivers. Everyone who runs XP SP2 has at least a couple of these - the stock VGA drivers and then the first set of Windows' inbuilt generic Radeon drivers. They're irrelevant. No need to change their settings.

2. This entire PCI Latency thing simply relates to this:

- How long can a device hog the bus when another device wants it?

Most devices get 32 cycles, or none at all (zero means they must immediately release the bus if another device wants it).

Now, sometimes this needs tweaking. My SoundStorm chip gets 0 by default... but when it's doing 5.1 upmixing it really needs some bus time especially when the rest of the system gets busy. So I give it 32. My Radeon is set to 255 (the maximum, although 248 is the same since only multiples of 8 count) but does it really NEED all that time? Will it be edging out other devices such as the hard drive and the sound card? Maybe, maybe not.

If you have no problems, leave this alone. You can TRY reducing it, though, and see if that gives your sound card more breathing room - and if that HELPS the sound card. ;)