Major Radeon Problems. Any help appreciated

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Urbanmonk, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Urbanmonk

Urbanmonk New Member

Hello all

First some general system information.

p3 800mhz
    384 megs Ram
    Syncmaster 750s monitor
    SBLive sound card
    Xelo Powered by ATI Radeon 7500
    ASUS motherboard.

Allright down to bussiness..
    I have been having two major Video card problems. I am pretty sure that it is just a driver problem and NOT a hardware problem. Depending on which driver I use, sometimes one problem corrects itself while the other remains, I have not found a solid solution yet.

The first problem I have is when I try and view DIVX files on TV out the screen goes blank, even when the TV is the primary display. Now this didnt always happen to me, it used to work great, now that Ive changed the driver it has this problem.

The Second Problem is I will be playing a game that requires 3d and all of a sudden it will freeze, and I will have to reset. Sometimes upon returning to windows a message appears saying " Radeon 7500 driver was responsible for system instability"

Now like I said, these problems vary with drivers so Ill start at the beginging and give the timeline...

I had my system upgraded and had a XELO 64 mg Radeon 7500 card put in (powered by). I formatted my computer to give all the new hardware a clean install. When windows started for the first time I installed the drivers that came withthe card. Everything semed to work great, and I noticed a really awesome TV out option. Whenever I would view a video file with TV out enabled (the monitor was the primary display NOT the TV) the card would take any video playing and strech it to full screen, even if it was in windowed mode. I could view DIVX files in any TV out, with the monitor or the TV as the primary display. But I noticed when I played 3d games sometimes , completely randomly games would freeze and I would get that error message.

I then decided to upgrade the driver to see if that would help the porblem. I did a clean unintall to the current driver (all registry entries and files, all programs in add remove programs etc) I then installed the Powered by reference drivers for XP 7.72. I got these off the ATI website under the powered by section. After installation when I tried to biew divx files on TV out with my monitor as primary display, the DIVX picture stayed in windowed mode and was completely blank. When I changed the TV the primary display I could view DIVX files fine. The freezing problem remained.

I uninstalled cleanly and installed the omega/plutonium drivers xk_1071b. Now I can't view any DIVX files on TV out at all, in any mode!! the 3d freezing seems to have disapeared or at least decreased.

Im willing to try anything.
    Please help.

Thanx Chris.

2. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

Need some more specific information like what happens with which drivers, what version of drivers are you using (motherboard, sound etc...), which Asus motherboard, are you overclocking your CPU, which slots your cards are in, which BIOS version are you using, which operating system? Don't have enough information.

Might also want to put your problem on Rage3D.com if you haven't already.

3. Urbanmonk

Urbanmonk New Member

Well I said what happened with each driver

With the Factory disk ( dont know which driver version) I can View DIVX in TV out great but games lock up.

With the 7.72 Reference drivers for xp off of the ATI powered by driver dowloads, The DIVX works with TV out only when the TV is the primary display. The Games still lock up.

With the OMega/plutonium driver xk_1071_b, I can't view DIVX files in TV out at all, it doesnt matter which is the primary display, it doesnt work. The 3d doesnt freeze, or freeze as often, and it seems choppy.

I am not over clocking my CPU.
    Its in the AGP graphics slot.
    The BIOS is set for 64 megs
    Don;t know which version of the bios, or how to update it. Dont think there are any XP updates for my bios.
    Its an ASUS CUV4X
    Win XP pro.

New info also. When I run DXdiag I dont pass the direct 3d test it says Direct3D test results: Failure at step 33 (User verification of Direct3D 8 rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

Thanx for the reply.

4. Urbanmonk

Urbanmonk New Member

Ok
    I did some research

At first I thought you meant my motherboard BIOS, then i realized video cards have bios too. ok anyways I am running version 7.008

I have never upgraded my mother board driver (dont even know if they have one)
    or my Mother board bios (the thing I can enter by hitting del when I first startup (again.. dont know how or why etc)

Id like to find out which drivers I need to download, for all components, and how to get my card workinf, both the divx and the 3d. Then id like to format the computer and reinstall everything cleanly.

5. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

The other reason why I ask about PCI slots is due to your SBLive. There are some issues with the sound card and the motherboard chipset. In many cases it causes lockups, BSODs etc... Make sure you have the latest drivers for it. If you have a version of the the SBLive other than the generic one (MP3, 5.1 etc...) head to Creatives website to select the correct driver. Otherwise this should be the right driver.
    http://www.americas.creative.com/support/files/download.asp?Centric=107&OS=13

Only install Creative drivers... don't install any of their bloatware (Audio HQ/control panel, media player etc...) those have also been found to cause problems on people's systems... also it's poorly written software.

Nice thing about Asus boards is you can assign it a specific IRQ (essentially a channel) so it doesn't conflict with anything else. When you hit delete, you can get into the BIOS and change it. See manual for further instructions. Don't have it handy you can dowload it from the page below. Set an IRQ for the sound card only i.e. make sure it's the only thing that has a specific number.

Here's the link for your motherboard, if you hit delete, you should be able to go in and see what version of BIOS you have... if its the same as the latest on the download page, don't install it:
    http://download.asus.com.tw/mb_dl_menu.asp?l1=1&l2=4&l3=1&mid=7
    Format a floppy as a MSDOS disk, copy the BIOS file and the BIOS flash on it. Smack it in and reboot. Follow the instructions included with the flash utility.

You will need to do a few things to your BIOS. You might not be able to run @ AGP4X. If it becomes unstable, try reducing it to 2X, there is very little change in performance between the two settings. But some Via based motherboards didn't implement AGP 4X well. Disable any kind of video or BIOS shadowing you see in the BIOS. Turn off fastwrites, they do nothing and generally cause system instabilities. Set your AGP aperature to 128MB... if it won't go that high, select 64MB... also if things become unstable @ 128MB, drop it to 64MB.

Your motherboard has a Via chipset, downloads can be found here, latest version is 4.40:
    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2
    I'd suggest you install the AGP and INF driver. The WinXP IDE driver is better than the Via ones. Just uncheck the one you don't want to install. My comp always bombs if I install it after a bit.

Video Card drivers:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/drivers/downloads.php
    Might want to wait until tomorrow or Wednesday. Cyborg is releasing some new drivers based on the Catalyst driver set. If you're going to do a fresh install, it might be worth it to wait. Otherwise the 71b's are solid.

Your DirectX might be screwed up as well. WinXP Pro comes with DX8.1 included, some games try to install directX over what you already have... don't let them do it. You have the latest version and if you install from the game, it could mess things up a bit. The other thing to consider is that sometimes you just have a bad install of WinXP and a few things get messed up. Could be the case.

That should get you started in the right direction if you are moving there already.

What's the power rating on your PSU and how many other things do you have hooked up? HD, CD, CDRW, DVD, fans, etc...

I'd so a search on google regarding that error code or hit the MS Knowledge base. You should at least find out why it happened.

Be sure you have all your data backed up in a safe place.

Any more questions and you have to name your first born "tazdevl" :D

6. Urbanmonk

Urbanmonk New Member

Thank you so much for all you time.

I suppose Im naming my first born Tazdevil ;-)

anyways I am going to get all my driver updates, then format and reinstall win xp. I will then follow your instuctions completely.

My only question is which driver should I install on my clean system?

The Driver that came with it

The Catalyst Reference driver 7.72 for powered by ATI products

or the New Omega/Plutonium driver?

Thanx
    you are a lifesaver.

7. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

I'd wait a day or so if you can and download Cyborg & Omega's new driver which should be out tomorrow or Wednesday. The ones that come with your card are generally outdated and not worth it.

You can always just go to windows update and download the latest WHQL driver as well.

Just kind of an FYI, generally the Powered by ATI products aren't as well manufactured as the Built by ATI products. Could be the other source of your problems.

The powersupply question is important though. Generally random lockups can be cause by driver conflicts, IRQ conflicts (2 devices on the same channel that don't like to share) or a weak/poor quality Power Supply.

Your other option with the sound card is to look in your motherboard manual and see which PCI slot doesn't share any IRQs... or if it does... put it in a slot that shares an IRQ with an empty slot... e.g. Slot 3 and 4 share IRQ's... you could put the card in either one and leave the other empty. All would be good.

Does your have onboard sound and SCSI/RAID? If you aren't using them, be sure to disable it in the BIOS as well.

Now I'm done. Make me proud... little Taz is counting on you.

8. merry

merry gargouille

I am probably wrong, but just in case, check the fans, CPU & 7500. You didn't say anything about HDD/CD drives, especially if you have many HDDs and a MicroATX - change the powersupply, try at least 300W.

Good luck

9. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

Some folks should be slapped with a trout for being redundant and not reading other people's posts. *Taz slaps merry a couple of times.

Generally the smart thing to do is ask a question to find out how many drives (CD, HD, CDRW etc...) before offering a solution... so you have the facts.

10. merry

merry gargouille

Right. Sorry.

Send me that trout, I'll slap myself a couple of times

11. Urbanmonk

Urbanmonk New Member

Just another qucik question

I niticed the link for the mother board you provied was for a CUV4X-LE and My mother Board is only a CUV4X should I still install the software on that link?

http://download.asus.com.tw/mb_dl_menu.asp

is the downloads for the CUV4X.
    should I download any of these files?

sorry for allthe questions Ive never done anything like this before. Until yesterday i didnt even know about BIOS or Chipset updates

12. Urbanmonk

Urbanmonk New Member

Nevermind :)

I figured it out.

Thanx for all the help

Cheers!

13. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

Cheekymonkey... download the BIOS, not the drivers. Get the drivers from Via. Asus motherboard drivers are always a step or two behind in terms of revision.

I wasn't able to find just a straight CUV4X. I'd assume it's the same board, you just might have bought the same one without SCSI/RAID, onboard sound and ethernet.

14. Urbanmonk

Urbanmonk New Member

What about Windows Updates? should I install them at all?
    and If so before or after I install my new drivers?

15. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

I'd install all your drivers (hold off on video card unless you have the 0.94's from Cyborg, might as well get it right the first time). Be sure to restart when it tells you to. Install the Via 4.40s and restart before you install the video card driver.

Then hit WU. The only drivers it will probably give you is Intel, video card, SBLive, NIC, onboard sound. Don't install onboard sound if you have it (probably be called CMedia or something of the like) and be sure to disable it in the BIOS if you do. That could be causing a conflict with the SBLive.

16. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

Go to windows update and download every single update. It may fix something. (note: only download those that are in the "critical updates" section).

17. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

Actually you need to install some of the others, otherwise you might be faced with a BSOD. One addresses a reboot issues that yields a BSOD... unmountable boot volume is the specific error.

Critical updates are security related and obviously important, the other Windows updates are compatibility fixes, feature updates and new features. There are several there that are rather important.