Making a 2D game with C++

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Gremmie, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Gremmie

Gremmie New Member

For my Software Development class, me and a couple of other guys have to make a game with C++. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction for some good Directx tutorials online, or some good books. In my past programming classes, all we've programed under is Unix, so this is my first true experience of Windows programming. Also, I'm pretty decent at C++, but I'm no master of the language or anything like that. Thanks for any info.

Edit: I heard the book "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre Lamothe was a good book, and I was thinking about picking it up. Has anyone had any experience with this book?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  2. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Why does it have to be graphical? Write a MUD using a server + client solution over TCP/IP. Or use the DirectPlay part of the DirectX suite.

This would demonstrate being able to program logic and a Human Interprator.

Graphics are nice and stuff, but then you need to be fairly artistic as well. I'm a programmer and can't do much artwork well.

3. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

I happen to have the Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (second edition), and its hard to say really how useful it is.. You see, it doesn't start out at a beginner level - it assumes some familiarity with a lot of stuff, including C++ and some STL... it starts off with the relevant Windows API information, and then ramps up pretty quickly from there - I don't know enough C++ ATM to really understand whats going on in the later chapters. Good book from what I've read though - I just don't know the language well enough. If you aren't pretty good with C++ (as in you could, say, make this same game but with a text interface, and have nice, neat code), then I would suggest Bruno Miguel Teixeira de Sousa's book "Game programming all in one" (I have a copy of this too) - the series editor is again, LAmothe, and it starts out at a much simpler level. It uses some API interfacing thing called Mirus so you don't need to deal with anywhere near as much nitty gritty DirectX and COM stuffs, it starts out assuming you have at most some familiarity with some programming concepts and maybe some C or C++, no more - it takes you (not very well though) through polymorphism and advanced class/object stuff... It takes you through some text-only games also... Chapter 10 in the Sousa is the first one that deals with Windows programming, and Chapter 2 (and some of one) deals with Windows programming in the Lamothe... both are really good books, but which one you should get depends fully on how much C++ and Win32 API you already know, and how well you can handle steep and quick learning curves...

ToshiroOC

Hope this helps!

4. Gremmie

Gremmie New Member

ToshiroOC, thanks for the info. I'm pretty familiar with C++. While I'm not even close to the best, I know the basics, and I'm pretty decent at working with Data Structures in C++, such as stacks, queues, and sorting algorithms. I've heard from a buddy of mine at school that the LaMothe book is great, but I'm going to check out the one you recommended.

5. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

Any time... if you can create any decent data processing program that is text only, then the Gurus book would be good for you.

6. Dalik

Dalik New Member

Why not use SDL for your programming API, on the windows platform it uses DX anyway but its all simple. The book on SDL is like $20 and covers everything you need. To get a basic game up like pacman without all the levels and other hard work, would take about 2 weeks for all of you guys to put together. You dont need a book on how to make a game, its very straight forward. goto www.gamedev.net and you can get more details from there.

The basic setup of your game is

main
    init()
    gameloop()
    cleanup()

init()
    setup SDL
    load graphics and sounds

gameloop()
    load level data
    create objects

while(done != TRUE)
    getInput()
    playMusic()
    Blit images

not very hard, with SDL it makes it a lot easier to use then DX
    I wouldnt bother with a "game programming book" all the information you need
    is on the internet at gamedev.net and if your lost ask.

7. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Good point Dalik - SDL is also cross platform. NWN Linux beta's use it :)