Mandriva LE 2005

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by DarkFoss, Apr 17, 2005.

1. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

Mandriva LE 2005 (formerly Mandrake) has been out since the 15th for club members. I finally got around to installing it(86x64). The install went flawlessly in typical Mandrake fashion. The only "bug" so far has been with my Audigy2zs card is that you have to open kmix and turn on the digital/analog switch to enable sound for some quirky reason the default is off:rolleyes:

I also haven't figured out how to browse my Windows partitions yet, I think they've changed some permissions so I can't really say it's a bug. Overall seems to run very well. They even got Ati's latest drivers 8.12.10 included. I get around 7k in glxgears.
    Been awhile since I had a good stable linux 64 system to play with and learn. Haven't really had much success since my upgrade from my Athlon system.

Mandriva has not released the free version yet. Nor have they gotten they're mirrors up to date even for club members, they are notoriously slow in that department.

Still it's one of the few linux distributions I'm able to install and actually have things work out of the box, most seem to fail trivial things like grub. Nothing worse than seeing kernel panic upon reboot and no option to boot back into windows.

Ahh well time to have some fun;)

2. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Strange... that happens in Ubuntu as well. Must be something with lastest stable ALSA, I guess.
    Chech if they are mounted; open Konsole and type:
    Code:
    kwrite /etc/fstab
    or
    Code:
    kate /etc/fstab
    Now, you should see something like this:
    Code:
    /dev/hda1   /mnt/folder   ntfs   ro,auto   0  0
    If it's not, try running
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    from the Konsole; if it doesn't output anything that makes sense, run it from root account and post it's output.
    Glad you liked it :)