Master Mixer issues in Windows 7 and Vista - driver 3550

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

guys, please share your results when using Master Mixer in Windows 7 and Windows Vista (kX driver version 3550 only!)

let me know if audio is OK, if you need any special tweaks, change buffer sizes and so on in order to make it work, etc...

report if you are able to get multichannel output

report if there are any issues with FXBus assignment, too

E.

2. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

when outputting to Master Mixer using Media Player Classic

FxBus 2/3 Front Left/Right
    FxBus 4/5 Rear Left/Right
    Fxbus 6/7 Centre/Sub
    FxBus 2/3 Side Left/Right

Windows 7 (32bit), Audigy2 (SB0350), kx 3550

Audio Quality is good ... did notice crackling on Side Left/Right channels once, but couldn't repeat it

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

@jaramonda
    What about stereo audio with Master Mixer? Which FxBus does it use for you?

4. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

FxBus 2/3 for stereo

to be clear: the channels used above also applies to all media players, not just media player classic

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Regarding your side outputs (shown above as using FxBus 2/3 (IIRC, should be 8/9)), is that with kX's 8 point surround enabled (assuming that is still necessary in Vista/7). In XP, Surrounder+ must be set to 7.1 to enable 8 point surround (or it must be done manually in kX Console: kxctrl -shw 20 1 (IIRC)).

6. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

I haven't tried with the "normal" DSP loaded ... I run my own all the time

just tried now with "normal" DSP ... Settings in surrounder do not effect which FXbus the signals come IN on

so .. no difference

7. Kermet

Kermet New Member

8. christopherw

christopherw New Member

I usually have 2/3 set as my primary output (with front/rear toggle enabled when I'm using my speakers; headphones are plugged into Audigy's Front output).

For the first time, I chose "Master Mixer" in Win7 x64 Sound options - then noticed constant rhythmic clicking / popping during audio playback which became noticeably worse when loading a game (e.g. DiRT 2) to the point where it was driving me crazy.

Also, using the Rapture3D sound engine (as required by some Codemasters games like DiRT2 and F1 2010) it detects the speaker setup as 7.1 and the Rapture3D Speaker Layout app is unable to modify its own output settings from 7.1 unless you set Wave Out 2/3 in Windows options. Then, it works perfectly.

DPC Latency Checker reports latency around 200us (which is about half of the lowest 'recommended' latency, so that's excellent) - it doesn't spike or go into the red at all when I load games or other audio-related apps. The popping and clicking seems to correlate with CPU utilisation or memory usage (making me think about interrupt problems), but I just can't pin it down.

My setup:
    Intel Q6600 2.4GHz
    Asus P5Q-E with 4GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce 9800GTX+
    Win7 x64 & WinXP SP3 (problems only occur using Win7)
    KX drivers Version: 5, 10, 00, 3550 - debug

Choosing Wave Out 2/3 solves all of these problems for me. Very odd! (and have no kind of similar problems in XP SP3, which I usually use)

9. dtman

dtman New Member

I can report almost exactly the same problems - clicking/popping using master mixer, sound is ok using waveout 2/3. I am using audigy2 ex with an asus m4a87td mb and 6-core am3 cpu, nvidia 8800gt.

10. totya

totya New Member

Hi, for me equally. With master mixer, I get clicking/popping sound, with wave out 2/3 all right. Win7 X64, Audigy2 Value (SB0400), 4GB RAM. Stereo 2.0 mode, I uses front output (green jack), swap front and rear disabled. Driver is 5.10.0.3550 x64.

Interest I see in windows audio icon/player devices/(kx) master mixer/properties/special/default format: 8(!) channel, 32(!)bit, 48000hz.

Edit: With 3551 alpha, and use rear jack (black), symtomps are equally.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  11. DjHemmo

DjHemmo New Member

No mic-in or ac97 to use with VoiceSwitch as "microphone". Windows 7 x64 & Audigy 4 (0610).

12. insink71

insink71 New Member

kX Mixer Results:

Well I am using this on Win7 [Professional 32 bit] mainly because SB can't even support their own product(s) correctly. That being said, you do a fine job it seems with this product.

audio working for SB0060 with your drivers:
    SPDIF/AC3 Output - not at all
    Master Mixer - seems to play the sounds on the 3rd set
    Wave Out 2/3 - not at all
    Wave Out 4/5 - nice :)
    Wave Out 6/7 - very very quietly

Couldn't get the microphone working

I should also mention the only means I have to test is a microphone'd headset, but it has worked just fine in the past.

Probably not as technical as you would like, but let me learn for a little bit, and I'll give you all the technical info you'd ever want.

Rob

PS Oh yeah forgot to mention... in the speaker test [off the kX menu], it says failed to create sound, but I hear the sound just fine.

EDIT: I downloaded the following profile and boom! the microphone started working :)
    http://my.kxproject.com/uploads.php?search=135&by=id&type=kx&details=true

Also, the sound only seems to want to work with the SPDIF/AC3 Output Now... but hey both sound and mic working in under 30 mins... nice.

Rob

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  13. alexb85

alexb85 New Member

Îòâåò: Master Mixer issues in Windows 7 and Vista - driver 3550

i have a question. maybe not the best topic for it, but this one seems alive :)

I have SB Live!.

i've plugged in my Headphones to REAR(black) output. Master Mixer gives choppy sound as i use Win 7. i was using Wave Out 2/3.

everything was fine until i've start playing Battlefield 3, which has heavy sounds ingame. noticed some sound lags and artifacts.

accroding to FAQ i choose Wave 4/5 as Default and switched off Channel Swap to make it work thru REAR Output.

So question is - do i still get sound using I2S with such connection/settings?

because if not, then its no sense in using REAR Output. Front will be better for Headphones as it has AMP

14. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

quick answer ... black socket is always I2S

15. alexb85

alexb85 New Member

Îòâåò: Re: Master Mixer issues in Windows 7 and Vista - driver 3550

thanks a lot. thought maybe chipset can choose which DAC-ADC to use, but seems its just physically different and thats it, ty :)

16. aspectus

aspectus New Member

clean install win7entx86 and 3550, noticed horrific crackling, came here, this sticky suggested to try routing to 2/3, seems solved now, ty all!

EDIT: sb0060

EDIT2: oh and now the win7 volume control works by making that change