Max Payne mouse freezes for half second sometime during gameplay

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by hunod34, Oct 27, 2006.

1. hunod34

hunod34 New Member

Hey all

When I play max payne, every time it seems to load something new, or just randomly, the mouse will freeze for about a half second unabling me to be able to aim or move the mouse. It is very annoying and am wondering if there is any way to fix it? seems like it might be a video problem because different drivers have different effects with it. Is there any perfect driver that will fix this?

my specs are
    P4 1.8 ghz
    512 mb ram
    Radeon 9800 Pro

thanks

2. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Member

i remember i had that problem too, but it's been years since i last played the max payne games and i couldn't figure out what was causing this. maybe i'll give it a try again.

-andy-

3. Shuflie

Shuflie Active Member

If you've got ATI tool installed make sure it isn't measuring the temperature, that can cause problems.

4. petertr2000

petertr2000 New Member

Im getting this problem now in Counter Strike

The mouse stops reacting, but I keep running in the same direction.

Ive noticed it sometimes happens when Im trying a message - the letters are about 2 seconds behind my typing.

Seems to happen for 3 seconds every few minutes.

I put it down to overclocking at first, so Ive turned that off pending testing.

5. petertr2000

petertr2000 New Member

It wasn't the overclocking - anyone have any better ideas?

6. Shuflie

Shuflie Active Member

Did you look at the post I made? Counterstrike (and basically any Halflife based game) gave me this problem. Either uninstall ATI Tool or stop it from measuring your temperatures.

7. petertr2000

petertr2000 New Member

Thanks - As far as I know I dont have it measuring temperature - But Ill certainly re-try with it turned off completely.

8. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

This doesnt mean it's related to mouse. I cant seem to recall the possible fix for this problem; i only jus read about it the other day.
    Can u be more specific?
    If it's stuttering/mouse lag only when u see the hard disc having some activity; then u can try defrag the pagefile.
    But i do think it is an issue with the pagefile, seeing u only have 512mb ram; the game might utilise the pagefile allot more often. The way u can test this is to basically give urself 1gb ram and see if it goes away.

I'll also suggest u make the pagefile size big (initial size=max size) so windows doesnt have to slowly incrwease the pagefile when it needs more space. 4GB is the max amount of physical or virtual ram windows can use, so basically what u want (if u have the hard disc space spare) is to give urself (4GB - RAM) as ur virtual memory intial and max size jus to be sure windows doesnt increase the size itself.

9. hunod34

hunod34 New Member

i tried the pagefile thing..didnt work thanks for the help tho, I guess I could upgrade my ram but im most definetly tryin to avoid fixing it without spending any money.

10. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I had to re-read that twice because I don't think it came out the way you didn't want it to. ;)

Anyway, how long since you defragged the hard drive? Also, are the CD drive and HD on the same IDE cable? If so, separate them. The reason being that IDE is limited in how it can handle data flow.

If you have a second HD, I'd suggest instead that you install the game on the second one and make sure it's on the Secondary IDE channel. Again, it's a limitation of IDE that makes this a better option.

I remember playing Max Payne with a very similar system as your current one. I don't recall having the problem you mentioned.

11. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Member

i just tried out max payne on my current rig and it doesn't have this problem anymore.
    i don't know why i had it back then, but i know it was not because of the page file or any other HDD activity. sorry, can't help you.

-andy-

12. petertr2000

petertr2000 New Member

I have the same problem, but I have a Gig of Ram, and a very empty SATA HDD which is nicely defragged.

Different game too. Its very odd, the game seems to continue, but my inputs are locked out (Mouse and Keyboard). I also notice it happening when I try to type messages in Counter Strike - sometimes, the text on the screen will lag about a second behind me.

I get an average of 80fps in that game, so its not that there is a bottle neck anywhere. It used to work fine for me before, no idea what is going on :-(

13. petertr2000

petertr2000 New Member

I fixed my CS issue with a workaround given by someone else who had the same issue.

Trick is to record a demo every time you play the game. (in console, type "record 1").

not a great fix, but proves its not a ATI driver or SW issue.

14. driver2

driver2 New Member

:sigh: I know this is an old thread.. but just wanted to add that I had the exact same problem in Max Payne 2 and the above suggestion fixed it for me.

Problem: No reaction to mouse or keyboard input every 5 seconds or so.
    If i was pressing any buttons, they stayed on until the game responded again. And my PC specs are off the chart even for max payne 2..

I have a NVIDIA 8800GT based card (XPertVision), so for "ATI tool" I read "Piece of software that might check videocard temperature". Of course my card also has some software to control overclocking and the fan.
    So I switched the Fan Control from "Dynamic speed" (temp based) to "Fixed speed" and voila! no more hiccups.

Now I can actually shoot someone in bullettime again!:drool:
    Thanks for the suggestion and happy gaming!