McCain picks Palin as running mate

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Iria, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, campaign officials told NBC News on Friday.

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

the coming days will be very very interesting indeed.

3. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I'm conflicted about this.

On the one hand I feel this was a brilliant and necessary move on McCain's part. Firstly, his timing stole Obama's thunder and now people are talking about his female VP and not Obama's speech. Second, having a younger female is sure to draw in many female voters who are upset Clinton was ignored or were turned off by her; at the very least Palin is more of a draw than Biden is.

That said, this can also backfire stupendously for McCain. He appears very weak by taking a totally unknown and inexperienced female running mate simply because she is female. It says a lot about Obama's confidence that he felt he didn't need Clinton to bring in the female voters. Also, this could give him a hypocritical label for bashing Obama and his inexperience. Finally, Sarah Palin could be a weak running mate not able to go toe to toe with Biden or Obama...we just don't know how smart she really is.

I just hope McCain doesn't win and die leaving this inexperienced women to run the country.

4. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

That "inexperienced woman" has more Executive experience than the man you evidently want to win. The 'experience' argument will bite the dems in the butt. Obam-bam has the least of all four. Hell, with her having to deal with the Russians, and Canadians, she even has more foreign policy experience than Obam-bam. She has ran a city, and ran a state. All Obam-bam has ever ran is his mouth.

You need to do a bit of homework on her. She's the REAL DEAL, and after a stint as Veep, she just may well become the first woman to run for and WIN the presidency.

5. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

Please provide information to back up your claim. She has no real experience, and she doesn't deal with Russia, The feds do, on Federal Military Bases, that she has no say in. Executive? What her husband? the fisherman? I support her outdoor enthusiasm, but that's hardly executive anything. As far as Executive "Vetoing" things, how the hell is hard to say no to stupid ideas or bad budgeting? She's never really had to give an executive order, Other then answering the call to send some troops to iraq, which every governor republican and democrat has done from their states, it's called the NATIONAL guard.
    She's also Pro-life, and pro-death, I always loved that about the Republicans.

As far as Obama, he's experienced enough, articulate, and has passed bills through senate, simply because one doesn't vote on every issue does not mean he's not being a part of legislature, as far as I can tell, he only went through with things he actually believed in. With how much bullshit they stuff bills with, I wouldn't know what to vote on either.
    And sorry being a vietnam vet doesn't qualify you for commander and chief, especially since it was 5 years in prison, I can respect him, but we're not at war with Vietnam.

6. SeraphicSorcerer

Here's Obama's Record
    Daily Kos: State of the Nation

Btw you should take a look at Mccain's record, He's almost a liberal. When he's not flip flopping of course:
    The Western Right: McCain's Legislative Record

The republicans are by far, some of the best shoe shinging flim flam artist when it comes to campaigning, but they really suck at governing, the reason being simple of course, they forgot what conservative means. The democrats, have largely been unchanged in how they have governed since 1776 :p They've always been about goverment for providing for the people. Which of course makes the goverment larger, which is funny because the largest expansions were in years republicans were in office.

7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Oh please, you wish. :rolleyes: She's a nobody and if Obama had chosen Clinton as his running mate there isn't a chance in Hell McCain would have chosen her. He took her in simply to get the female vote and not one minute was wasted in making this clear as she immediately pandered to women voters during her speech.

You're out of your mind if you think Palin could run for President and win. If she becomes President it'll only be due to McCain kicking the bucket.

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

can we move this banter to the political forum moderators please?

9. OldBuzzard

SeraphicSorcerer, a link to Daily Kos????? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

There's no reason to debate you further, you are beyond help.

But, please, just keep on thinking like you do. Because just like it happened with President Bush, you are "misunderestimating" Mrs. Palin, and it's going to put her in the The Whitehouse

10. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

I can't really say much about Palin as I don't know much about her.

However, all I know is that this will be a very interesting election. History is in the making!

11. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

If the election were a movie it would be #1 at the Box office for 4 months that's how exciting it is! ;)

12. OldBuzzard

QFT!!!!!!!

Two days ago I was "Ho Hum"...but now?? I'm pumped! I've known about Gov. Palin for quite some time now, and the more I read about her the more I liked her.

She's a hell of a lot more than 'just a pretty face', and I think that a lot of the dems/libs are going to find that out the hard way. They didn't call her "Sarah the Baraccuda" for nothing :D She's a fighter, and will open a can of whoop-ass on people of BOTH sides of the aisle if they deserve it. She did it in Alaska, and she'll do it in Washington.

13. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Does she also wrestle Alaskan Grizzly bears with her bare hands and tow stranded fishing boats back to shore with her teeth? :cool:

14. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

The talk of experience by both sides is much overdone. Experience is only useful in getting votes, there's absolutely no correlation between the experience previous presidents have had before taking office, and their success while in office.

15. SeraphicSorcerer

I'm beyond help because I posted a link with information related to the political character of these two presidents and all you can do is post your mouth? Awesome.

America isn't stupid enough to fall for Palin, if it votes for Mccain it's because its too scared to change.

16. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I didn't even think about a female VP let alone Palin. Thats probably one of the smartest choices I've seen yet from Obama or McCain.

Also with Palin, you get a governor. Which is a hell of a lot more down to earth than another senator.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  17. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Change what?

What has Obama actually changed already or even created a plan to change?

Honestly all I hear from him is promises but nothing on how or when. He does not have a charismatic voice (sounds like he is reading from a script) and from the way both McCain and Palin speak they genuinely believe in what they say.

It feels like obama is riding the "Black" or "Anything different than Bush" Vote while reading the democratic manuscript.

But hey, thats just my opinion.

The things are now and how the American people are Its most likely goin to be McCain and Palin in the white house and this is why.

Someone personally committed to woman's rights in the white house
    Obviously a different and open minded change without having to settle for less experience overall
    McCain's Prior Military experience
    McCain's Political experience

When it comes down to it I believe most American's go the polls with these two thoughts subconscious or not.

Who is the most familiar
    Who will best represent me
    -(or if lazy and not open minded) Who looks the most like me.

As it stands anything different than Bush is out the window. And that was what the Obama campaign was really riding on.
    I think you will start seeing Experience come more into play when it gets really heated.

18. Sandok

Sandok New Member

What a surprise to hear that from you OldBuzzard!!! :eek:

/sarcasm

Apart from that, I was wondering, has there ever been a good Republican President? I mean, from history's point of view, I know of quite a few "famous" Democrate Presidents but Republicans, only bad things come to mind...

Bush = Lowest President approval ratings ever recorded
    Nixon = WaterGate scandal
    Reagan = Worst Foreign approval ratings ever (well maybe not worse than Bush now... And it is important, America's economy doesn't run in America but the world, grow up)

I know Lincoln was a Rep and he is a great man, no doubt, but still... Well interestingly, I found a great graph (from the US goverment so no cheatsies) that show that every Republican President ruins the economy while every Democrate fixes it. It's not a secret but... tax cuts don't help ;)

19. SeraphicSorcerer

Obama has actually been helping reform government since he took office, and there are now several accountability websites/parts of goverment for the things he sponsered.

He's not just full of "empty" rhetoric, and as far as rhetoric goes, exactly where does Mccain lie, He flip flops more then Kerry, and that's saying a lot, So what if he's riuding the black gravy train, It's not like he's advertising it, He's smart enough to make tough choices, and he's got the charisma to actually move people, If he doesn't do jack, I'll vote him out in 4 years, but if you honestly want Mccain economics just read about his homestate, and what hes done for that, as well as the rest of us.

Mccain is pushing more rhetoric then Obama any day of the weak, Obama has been in office longer then 143 days, he's cosponsered, or sponsered about 700 bills, and He won't vote for something if he thinks its full of BS. Where as Mccain was AGAINST Bush Tax cuts, now hes for, He's flip flopped on the war, and his poor wife can't stand that hes getting bashed for being a 'tard. Turn about is fair play, maybe if people weren't trying to paint him as a muslim terroist, and an idiot, etc. Not to mention the fact that our consitution boldly says freedom of religion and I'm sick of these christians thinking they have some powers that the rest of us don't have. Sorry Bush, you can't see Putin's Soul, It's on loan to the Hell's smithsonian. I love how they just test fired a new nuke btw.

As for executive experience, I lovee that crap, she has very little say in what troops go to war, I know, I'm a Vet. the governor pretty much okays a goverment request. It's not hard. I balance my budget on a fixed income every month, So what if her state has a larger amount, It's half the mass of the continental united states, and yet only about 1/5th the population of Texas (the next biggest state) So yeah. If you've ever been to alaska it's basically a gigantic natural poark with cities and highways in between, it's as rural as rural gets.

not to mention that I don't particuallry trust Any Technology oriented laws in Mccain's hands. While it was Bill clinton who signed the DMCA into law, you should see the garbage thats in the "Patriot act" which is another BS label our republican "friends" love to throw on shit so it stinks less.

I was for the republican party when it meant "conservative" aka yes the party of Lincoln, There are some bone headed Democrats, but I find the entire republican party is starting to act like their symbol.

I am quite open minded, and I honestly don't think experience is going to take a factor more then quick-wit, and good answers in the debates to come.
    As for voting for your interest, That's about all I can agree with, I wish people would stop voting for people simply because they think one issue is the ultimate decider.

20. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

It isnt about Republican or Democrat here, its about the truth, and I'd wager that both Presidential hopefuls will be hard pressed to remain focused on it and stay in the white house if either are elected.

Instead of bashing either side of the arguments for or against the Obama or McCain futures they are both very predictable in spite of the running mates they both chose.

It will be a very intesesting movie indeed.

As during the Gore Bush race, we are confronted with the Evil of Two Lessers, so bash away all of you at either side of the argument because until I hear and see some meaningful dialogue on either side the choice for the next president will be decided not by who votes, but by who does not vote.

Even if Americans do not choose to vote, they have still made a choice.