Me and My Mandriva Linux 2007

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by ViP3RH3LL, Oct 11, 2006.

1. ViP3RH3LL

ViP3RH3LL New Member

I installed it tonight and it's beautiful. The system feels very smooth, just having a internet problem though, seems to stop then start again after a couple minutes. I am running mandriva off my second blank HD. It has 67 GB's free but when I decided to copy a CD option to HD and go to the next page it says I only have 3 GB's when I have a whole HD to play with, I'm confused about that, I wanted to put everything on the HD. I'm using Amarok for my mp3's and it's very cool. I just need to find: libdvdcss for my dvd movies cause it says it cant play encrypted files without it.
    Shouldnt it be included with the OS, I mean if you want to watch movies, then you have to download a file to watch them?. Anyways I like this OS alot. I also need to find a program for my winrar files so I can open them in linux. I am dual booting atm. I have windows xp on my c: drive and this one on another, I guess I could leave it like that for my gaming. One thing I messed up on I think is I but the boot files on the C: drive with my windows OS, it will be a major fubar if i reformat my windows and wont be able to boot linux right? Now that I have 2 OS's to play with, its going to get alot more trickier to switch between programs and get use to it. :w00t: :w00t:

2. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

libdvdcss is technically illegal to redistribute in america
    legal everywhere else, mostly

Easiest solution is for the distros to tell you where to download it from.

3. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

BTW, Welcome to the Real World :)

4. ViP3RH3LL

ViP3RH3LL New Member

Thanks, I was trying to watch resident evil in linux and I got that message, and yes the real world indeed. I will have to get use to it more, I need to learn how to install packages and rebuild files etc. I tried to open .doc files and had to download a 3rd party app called antiword. Firefox doesnt seem to work that great in linux, still having a internet issue I have to fix, but konquerer seems to work better. I like it better then firefox for linux.

5. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

ViP3RH3LL,
    I'm curious if your still using using Mandriva. I'm running 2007.0 powerpack and it's been great for me. Very stable & fast alot of bugs got fixed over the last 2 months.

I can't wait to see the 2007.1 spring release. It will have another 3D desktop Metisse. I've tested the live cd and I really liked it more than compiz/beryl even though it was Gnome :p KDE support will be included in the spring release.

6. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I just downloaded this. I intend to install it in a Virtual Machine under Parallels on my OS X Mac system.

I used to mess with Mandrake all the time - it was one of the few distros that didn't trash my FAT 32 formatted drives when it installed.

Though I much prefer KDE over Gnome, I'm still looking forward to giving it a shot.

This Virtual Machine stuff is starting to really impress the heck out of me. An isolated install that doesn't affect the system because it's contained within the VM sessions. Freakin' amazing.

I do hope they still include Midnight Commander in the distro... :)

7. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

MC is included as an rpm and on the dvd's I think.. I don't think it's on the live Metisse cd due to size constraints.

8. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I finally got it working under Parallels - gosh what a pain. Parallels seems to have some issues providing the OS with a simulated display configuration. I couldn't get to the GUI unless I did a FAIL SAFE install. Then STARTX worked in 800x600 at 16 bit. Somehow I got it to go up to 1280x1024 from within the GUI but all the fonts were screwed up. I figured out I had to set the Aspect setting to 5:4 instead of 4:3 - you figure they would do that automatically. Oh man.

Back in the day, I used to fudge at the command line and start up Midnight Commander so I could navigate around folders and files, and the built-in Midnight Commander Text Editor to change configuration files like xorg.conf. But the only text editors I can seem to start up from the command line is VI or ED, which I just don't know how to use.

It's driving me nuts. Midnight Commander made it so easy to navigate around and do things, just like Norton Commander did in DOS.

Is there an MSDOS "Edit" like text editor that is installed by Suse that might have a character based menu system or anything?

Thanks.

9. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

I gave you a quick rundown on vi in your other post along with some links and such.
    Hopefully it will be useful.

10. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Much appreciated.