Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault - Singleplayer Demo

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by TwistedMetal, Sep 3, 2004.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Tasty is nearer you, I was chatting he will get the CD to you virus, you will love it man, its a very nice demo level indeed.

2. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

I've sent you a pm virus... lemme have your address and you'll have it on monday :)

3. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

thanks a lot guys

Cheers allan., :)

TastyWeat you have been replyed to via pm

and MIG-31 thanks for the offer im getting it now by tasty cant wait to play it
    Zardon seems to know what i like in a game and if he says its great then i know im going to enjoy it emensly :D

4. rudedog

rudedog New Member

If you guys think the SP demo rocks wait to you play MP. EA has changed and has started listening to the community.

Support for game server admins, mappers and modders will be out of this world. MOH:pA is about the take the FPS community by storm.

5. HardwareHeaven

That does sound impressive, and with a 25 level single player game with it, seems this should be on everyones get list, ive mine preordered.

6. BWX

BWX get out and ride

7. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

1am at my place right now.....d/ling it from fileshack...... 1 1/2hrs. wait time @ capped 100kb/sec. d/l speeds. Can't wait to play it :D.

Imna drag ass tomorrow at work, but it'll be worth it :).

8. CDsDontBurn

checked out your mirror, thing was mighty slow......10-15kb

9. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Weird, still going at between 90 and 125 KB/sec... Still about 1 hour left.

edit-- 38 more minutes! :drool:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

There is a quick save key you can assign-

OMG, the graphics are awesome on this game and it runs great on my system @ 1200 x 900 2xAA, 8xAF (75hz refresh w/o vsync) - runs very smooth and looks great.

Right before I died with 3 health- everything turned all weird and almost black and white- very cool.. I even have the "after affects" (or whatever it's called) turned on and it still runs fast, pretty amazing since I'm only running an old 9700pro OC'd...

I don't like the way the stand/kneel/prone buttons operate, but then again I have never liked the way any MOH games handle those keys.. Oh well. I'll have to try and get used to it. The game is tight and looks like it will be a lot of fun. Can't wait for this one to come out.

11. HardwareHeaven

could you get the quick save key assign thing to work?

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Oh, no I haven't, I just saw it there-

I haven't tried it out yet, maybe it doesn't even work? I'm going to go try it now and play the demo a little more, I died pretty quick and didn't even have all the keys assigned... (or my mouse speed adjusted right)

This is a DX game right? I assumed it was but I guess it could be OGL...

13. HardwareHeaven

Yeah its D3D. I saw this game in ATI headquarters with a few guys from EA at the start of the year and they were working closely together on this. It shows, I cant see any graphical abnormalities. I love how polished this game looks, from the Hyperthreading support to the Hardware shader 2 support which works wonderfully on the ATI boards ive tested it with.

I cant get the save key bind to work, I think its disabled in the demo.

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah I just finished the demo- Very short actually. Kill a few soldiers, shoot a few planes and it's over.. They have disabled the save feature, it doesn't work here either.

I cannot get AA to work at all. Not sure why, maybe the game disables it automatically after a certain framerate?? Not sure but it DOES NOT work, and I am getting very playable framerate, so not sure what the problem is.
    I'm using the OMEGA's based on 4.8 cat. AA works with all the other games I play though, hmmm.

I'm also disappointed at the sluggish controls, it's like there is some kind of 0.2 second delay to every input control..

To test this out- fire your gun only once, notice the delay? It's in the mouse control too.. Load up Soldier of Fortune II, Quake3, or any Unreal game and they are all much more responsive to input controls..

It's almost like there is a weird lag, then acceleration in the mouse control whether mouse smoothing is on or off.. I noticed this in almost all of the MOH games though, so it's probably something they think "adds realism" or something. There will probably be a console command to help when the game comes out, hopefully..

EDIT
    Hmmm, I opened up the pak0.pk3 with winrar and there are a few .cfg files in there, but when I try to change the settings and save them, I get an error:

! C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Medal of Honor Pacific Assault(tm) Demo\demo\pak0.pk3: Cannot create C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Medal of Honor Pacific Assault(tm) Demo\demo\pak0.pk3
    Access is denied.

So I guess I would have to unzip the entire thing and then change the files if I could even do that- maybe it would reduce load times like in Doom3 too... Maybe I'll try it- if I knew the correct lines to *add*, maybe I could get the save function to work, and maybe even change the FOV (which is too narrow for me) 90 would be nice..

edit2-

Wow, I unzipped it and it is:
    size: 960 MB (1,007,534,958 bytes)
    size on disk: 1.00 GB (1,079,181,312 bytes)

Now I'm going to try to remove the original .pk3 file and see if the game even runs, how much if any the load times change, and if I can modify the .cfg files.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  15. CDsDontBurn

i fell asleep during the d/l :sleep:, and woke up at 8am to install it. Installed the demo, and was able to play it once until i died at the gun.

what happened was that after i died the first time, i went into the options to increase mouse sensitivity and after that, all commands just froze up on me. the only thing i was able to do was just look around.

16. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Did antialiasing work for you? If so, what drivers are you using?

17. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Great demo!!! When is it coming out?

18. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

i think the uk release is around 12 nov this is going by a site i sometimes use,but our release dates seem to be about a week after the us releases.

19. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Great Demo! Graphics are amazing despite the fact I'm forced to run at 1024 x 768.. But that's ok I guess. You really do need higher end graphic cards to enjoy these new games coming out. :lol:

Anyways, my comments about this game:

Attention to detail is great! I love being patched up by the medic! It's so much more realistic. Being revived is even better! The whole effect of black and white back to real color just makes me smile with delight :)

The blurred vision when firing the gun at the planes made me grin as well! It's just so realistic!

Well it's not all good though..I hope the game controls feel less sluggish. The AI is horrid. Either the game was set on very easy, or it was to simulate the Kamikaze style of the Japanese.. either way it was a breeze to mow down the enemy. :lol: I also hope the controls can be tweaked so I'm not stuck in duck mode when I press duck. I want to be able to release duck and pop back up without having to press jump. It's also nice to see the collision detection actually work a lil better between the airplanes and the people... I'm pretty sure when a plane's wing slices through a person's head... they die. Well .. I dunno.. maybe people back then were a lot tougher than us now :)

Overall: 8/10 for the demo! :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  20. BWX

BWX get out and ride

That's why I quit playing MOH MP, the controls suck, and are unresponsive and sluggish.. Also you cannot change them even with console commands or .cfg file changes...

When you hit the "duck/kneel/prone" key and then when you are already down on the ground, you should be able to hit it again to stand back up right?? NOT- you can't, all the key are more like toggle switches than control keys.. Pretty lame, and it ruins the entire experience..

Also I could not get AA to work- no idea why.. I think it was a great idea and great looking demo, but if those guys who make the game can't learn from their mistakes, it will be a flop.