Memory Problem in Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Jitter, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Jitter

Jitter Active Member

I am having some sort of memory issue in Windows 7. I have 8 GB of RAM and after 2 hours of running I have only 470 MB Available. 3717 is shown up as cached....In my resource monitor nothing is sticking out as abnormal mem usage. I just dont know where the memory is going. I have been having this issue for a few weeks, but normally the memory drains after a few days, not a few hours.....

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Two things....

1. Right click on Computer and select Properties. How much shows up as "Usable"?

2. In Resource Monitor, what percent is showing at Used Physical Memory?

You're saying that nothing unusual shows up. But, have you totally opened up that window to see all of the processes in use? And, if you click on the Working option, which of those show up near the top?

One additional thing: Have you checked Sony for updated motherboard drivers recently?

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've a 16gb machine at work, although i'm not doing much on it.. it caches a little over 9GB, uses about 3-5gb and the remaining isn't all accountable for what it shows as free.

This is how Windows 7 handles memory, considered the free + cache = Total free memory

The rest is consumed as being in use, page pool/virtual memory consumed or currently being set aside from on demand Vram.

4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Have a second look at the Performance tab of the Windows Task Manager. Normally the amount of "Cached" memory should fit within the "Available" memory, since memory used for file caching will automatically be made available for any programs that might need it. The last field below the two previously mentioned named "Free" is the one showing RAM that has so far not been put to any use, but that amount is not the only RAM that is available for programs as need arise. They could have named that field "Unused" instead of "Free".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013