Merkel wants to avoid U.S. servers.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by NotMyType, Feb 19, 2014.

1. NotMyType

NotMyType New Member

So the Germans doesn't want NSA spying on them. I was wondering if this kind of stuff is technically possible? I mean, is it possible to restric traffic only on routers and networks in Europe?

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It is possible. Internet isn't so much a single network as it is a bunch of connected networks that meet at certain exchange points. I think that changes to configuration will be needed only on a very high level, above ordinary ISPs.

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

It's definately possible, it's just not very practical since the net is built as it is. In the long run it will make traffic more vulnerable since you have to limit the routes it is allowed to take. It's a lot safer to do today than it was ten years ago though.

This is a bit like the so called "FRA law" here in Sweden. It says that they will only monitor traffic that goes to and from the country but since the Internet is constructed the way it is it means that they can pretty much monitor everything anyway. Even if I send an email to a friend that lives on the other side of town it can jump around the entire world to get there. Most people aren't aware of this, they think it will travel like they do themselves in more or less a straight line.

Everyone that hasn't yet should try and do a Traceroute (in windows, open a dos window and type "tracert" followed by an url or an IP) to see how many jumps a packet takes to reach a chosen destination. It's just insane how many it takes sometimes.

To avoid having data travel across the world like this static routing tables have to be created and that's not a small thing to do. It's not very practical at all in the short or long term but it's definately doable.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Great, give more control to the Germans. It's not like they ever abused power before.

5. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Problem is, I doubt it'll make much of a difference. They will always find ways to monitor anyway. I see dangers with closing the internet like this as well and I really don't think it's a good thing. It's the opposite of what internet and openness stands for. If we want a free world this is not the way to go. Try to do something about the real problem instead, a government who believes they have the right to monitor everyone in the entire world.