Microphone and Vista

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by totally_tonedef, Oct 16, 2007.

1. totally_tonedef

totally_tonedef New Member

Okay, I have searched but found no remedy that works.

I have an Audigy Live! card and windows vista. kx drivers are the only ones I can get to work so far but I cannot use my microphone. Is there any fix to this that anyone is aware of?

Thanks for any help

P.S.~ Sorry if this is hard to understand, my wife is naggin me while I type :rolleyes::D

2. totally_tonedef

Okay, soooo. I finally got the mic to work (through uninstalling and reinstalling the latest beta several times.)

The only problem now is that I have no real control over the darn thing. In the AC97 options I cannot mute the mic, control the volume or much of anything but apply the boost. Otherwise it is always on. That is not much a problem aside from the fact that it is blaring out the speakers and I can't shut it up. I have muted every option (including master volume!!) and still, everything is blasting out the speakers.

I really have no clue how to work the DSP...so if anyone has the patients, please help.

Thanks a ton :)

3. peate

peate Active Member

Mute the AC97 slider on the ins and outs page of the mixer. You could also select a different source from the drop-down menu on the AC97 page, like line-in for example.

4. totally_tonedef

I have muted the AC97 slot, does nothing.

I have reset the AC97, used the line-in and mic...nothing.

I can't even mute the master volume through the kx panel. The only control I have is the mute the mic in the AC97 line-in menu, not even the mic menu, and turn on the boost. Other than those options, nothing else has any effect.

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Mute the "MIC In" slider on the AC97 page of kxmixer.

6. totally_tonedef

I have done that as well. Nothing happens.

Plus, I want my mic to work, I just don't want to hear it.

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The above is not needed for the MIC to work, and is the only thing that would cause the MIC to be heard in the speakers, where Master Volume has no effect (unless you are using some alternate DSP config and have not told us).

Verify the following:

The MIC is connected to the correct input on the rear of the card.

The "AC97 In" slider on the Ins and Outs page is muted (all sliders at bottom of page should be muted).

The "AC97 Rec Level" on the Recording page is not muted and volume is set to 0 dB (all other sliders on page should be muted, with the exception of the "Master Recording Level" (should be set to 100%)).

The "AC97 source" on the AC97 page is set to MIC, and "Analog Recording Gain" is not muted (all other sliders on page should be muted).

The above should allow you to record using the MIC, without hearing it in the speakers.

If you are using a DSP config other than the default, then you need to let us know (and if so, a screen shot would be helpful). If you are using the default DSP config, then it would probably be a good idea to Reinitialize the DSP, and Reset AC97, and then setup kX Mixer as described above.

8. totally_tonedef

I will give all of that a try, thanks!

As for the DSP, I have the default as I really don't understand it...are there any custom setups that you may suggest, unrelated to my problem of course, would like to get the best out of this as possible seeing as Creative no-longer supports my card :(

9. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Most custom setups are designed for a specific purpose (and saved/loaded as necessary), so the best thing to do is to read the tutorials/guides (see the kX Resources and Support Documentation sticky thread in this forum) in order to understand how the DSP works, so that you may customize it to suit your needs.

Additionally, I am not completely sure what issues still exist with Vista (I am using XP), so it is hard for me to recommend anything (and general questions are are harder to answer, especially knowing that you do not understand the DSP).