Microsoft announces Windows 11, with a new design, Start menu, and more

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Jun 24, 2021.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Microsoft is officially confirming the name for the next release of Windows today: Windows 11. After months of teases, hints of the number 11, and a giant Windows 11 leak, Microsoft’s new operating system is official. The big focus for Windows 11 is a simplification of the Windows user interface, a new Windows store, and improvements to performance and multitasking. Windows 11 will also include support for running Android apps for the first time.

The first thing you’ll notice about Windows 11 is that it includes a new Start menu and updated Start button that are both centered on the taskbar. This UI is very similar to what we first saw in Windows 10X, a project originally planned for dual-screen devices that Microsoft eventually canceled. A lot of the UI work that went into Windows 10X is appearing in Windows 11.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

I like what they've done with Xbox gaming in this new Windows.

3. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

I ran the official "can my pc run win 11 tool" and had a flat out NOPE you cant

quick bit of Google suggested enabling TPM 2.0 in the BIOS

did that and now apparently I can run Win 11 :)

4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

They've basically decided to call the Fall update Windows 11 so it's not something that I am gonna lie awake at night looking forward to. Some nice minor improvements but also some concerns. They had rounded glass corners in Vista but running on 1080p displays they never looked good, just not enough ppi to render them properly. Firefox has done something similar recently and again even on my 4K they don't render properly. Rounded corners work fine on a smartphone display with 4 times the resolution per inch but not on PCs.

Another worry for me is the creep of subsciption based OSs and intrusive adverts baked into the OS itself. For example, if you run OneDrive in the PC now you will always have a 'Go Premium' button slap in the middle of the interface. I hate shit like that! Too early to tell how much of that is going to find its way into Windows 11.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

the tmp thing can be avoided... it's not a requirement... also considering the history of windows, the bare minimum is often not the bare minimum. I mean windows 10 states it requires specific cpus to even install while i've ran windows 10 on system that predate such systems by 2 or more complete socket generations for amd.

6. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Figured I could install 11 on my PC as outstrips the minimum soft requirements but im just that guy I want all the boxes checked :)