Microsoft Customers Irate over Daylight-Saving Time Woes

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Vikingod, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Source: eWEEK
    _________
    This year's daylight-saving time change is causing major frustration for IT administrators running Microsoft programs that need to be individually patched to reflect the change.

The extension of daylight-saving time by a month in the United States is causing enormous grief for some IT administrators running Microsoft software, as many of the software programs running on their users' systems need to be individually patched to reflect the change.

2. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Why don't they just adjust the time 1/2 hour and leave it the hell alone?

3. mike2h

mike2h New Member

cause it is mainly done in accord t othe times the sun rises & sets in winter & summer to make the best use of the available daylight. for farmers. or something along those lines.:)

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

wtf for farmers?

farmers don't work on a 8 hour schedule, to get up @ 8 or 9 and go home @ 5 or 6. lol.

I find that halarious that quite a few people beleive that the daylight savings will "help" farmers, even at all in the slightest bit... it doesn't.

It could say 3am or 5am on the clock, it doesn't matter, they will continue to get up and work reguardless of it being daylight available or pitch black... right from sunup to sundown.

Mike2h, don't take it personally or in any offense.... i didn't mean it that way.

Yes they "could" just adjust the clock, but unfortuneatly, some programs are tuned to the clock settings on teh computer. Frankly this is why i love living in a place that doesn't have the stupid DST.

5. Iria

Iria New Member

Interestingly, as well as starting early this year, they are ending late. Did you know that the candy companies have lobbied for YEARS for a later resumption of standard time? They figure it will mean an extra hour of trick-or-treating and thus more $$$. Heard this on NPR yesterday.

6. mike2h

mike2h New Member

no offense taken, but maybe instead of concentrating on someting that i obviously added as an afterthought( because i remember reading it somewhere- i agree with u bty) u could comment on the main part of my statement wich is the real reason it exists. & imo, though it can be a pain, it is a good idea. there is also some evididence that it conserves energy, at least according to the feds;)

7. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

IIRC - The reason wasn't farmers, it was oil lamps in town. In Saskatchawan, Canada, they don't use DST. They change time zones to maintain the time. The reason is simple - farmers (at least in the old days) get up with the sun. People sleep when it's dark, so less energy used by having people's wake time during the day.

Anyhoo... It's been a big pain for me. I thought everything was patched by Windows updates, then they (MS) dropped another patch. I ended up buying some software to scan the networks and apply patches - that was much easier. The bad part has been the Palm Treos - they require a manual patch. The ISP only texted the phone users yesterday to let them know. My Blackberry required a manual update as well. According to some Blackberry BIS people today, the patch borked the BIS. Fortunately I just forward to my BB.

I can't imagine how much this has cost business so far.

8. mike2h

mike2h New Member

9. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

My God, the change was announced in 2005 and it took IT Administrators 2 years to get it rolled out to thier systems.

First thing I'd do is fire my IT staff if they took 2 years to get a simple fix taken care of.

10. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

I wouldn't say its all the IT staff's fault. They can't patch something when there is no patch avaliable. I think its more MS, IBM, and other companies that waited so long to fix this very simple problem. I still think Y2K was exaggerated. I don't think there was any real proof that computers would crash and the world would come to a complete stop like they said.

11. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

Especially since the last patch came out on the 5th. In my case, I had the patches installed. Right until they changed it - again.

12. Iria

Iria New Member

Only on Family Guy, if you remember that episode! :rofl:

13. calidan

What episode was that one? I might have to watch that one tonight.

14. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

We had a few problems with Smart Phones. Also our MS Outlook Calendars got all screwed up for our scheduling. Other than that, it was a successful rollout.

15. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Crap happens. People need to suck it up and deal.

Congress is doing this because studies show it will help with energy conservation.

Frankly, I think it is stupid and we should not ever change the time. But what do I know? I'm just a voter...

16. calidan

So you think it is stupid to have more daylight at the end of the day versus having more in the morning? Maybe we should just leave our clocks at Daylight Savings year round.