Microsoft launches home energy monitoring tool

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Mac Daddy, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Microsoft Hohm, available as a beta, or test, version in the United States at microsoft-hohm.com, lets users "better understand their energy usage, get recommendations and start saving money," Microsoft said.

"We believe technology will play a pivotal role in tackling the global energy issues we currently face," Craig Mundie, chief research and strategy officer at Microsoft, said in a statement.

"Microsoft Hohm demonstrates how a combination of advanced software and Internet-based services can help people track, understand and manage their personal energy usage," he said.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

we've had this "kind" of options from out power provider for years

3. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Isn't the growth of technology one of the major causes of the problem in the first place? LOL.
    Now you'll be able to fire up your 1500w psu computer with dual quadcore processors and triple SLI 295GTX graphics cards and see on a 30" monitor how turning off lightbulbs and reducing the heating by 1c will save you £10 a year.

Our provider gave us a free meter 2 years ago that shows your current energy usage and cost. It's erm.......:hmm:.....actually I really don't know where it is:sigh:.

4. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

See, the problem with this type of thing is simple.

1. People who that would appeal don't care AT ALL
    2. That type of system has been tried and like Lelisevis said it hasn't worked before.

That's about the end to their efforts.....DONE! lol

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Wasn't my quote was the article but do agree Levi especially on green hard drives. What percentage of the overall system power consumption does a HD take?

6. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

My apologies Mac, didnt mean to imply that was your view, I was just to lazy to quote the article. I was far to busy trying to create the worlds first hemp lightbulb but whenever I switch it on I get a fizz-pop and spend the next 5 minutes beating flames from my beard:sigh:.

7. Jejking

Jejking New Member

Should be a very common tool then. There is no way you can estimate power usage accurately without any hardware attached to the system.

8. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Hee hee no apologizes needed Levi you made the best post on this thread ;)

Unless they can convert this too AC in the summer I think it is useless. On the hemp lightbulb sounds cool .. with the exception of the beard :wtf: