Microsoft Nags U.S. Users Of Fake Windows

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by niceguyrichy, Apr 26, 2006.

1. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

Read more / source: TechWeb

The “Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications” tool displays a message when users of counterfeit Windows log on. “It appears that you could be a victim of software piracy. The copy of Windows installed on this computer is not considered to be genuine by Microsoft,” the initial dialog box message reads. “The notification will continue to display until your computer is running genuine Microsoft Windows.”
    A similar message pops up at random times from the system tray section of the Windows taskbar.
    If users choose to ignore the warning—a “Resolve me later” button is available from the log-on dialog—Windows plants a permanent banner at the bottom of the screen that reads “You might be the victim of software piracy. The copy of Windows installed on this computer is not considered to be genuine by Microsoft.”

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

"We have received feedback from customers that they appreciate the ability to determine whether or not their reseller sold them a genuine version of Windows. Providing WGA through AU will simplify the validation process for customers," said Microsoft. :lol:

I think nastier things are comming... Glad I'm in the legal boat.

3. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

I wonder how many employees up in redmond silently hate this new "feature"

:bleh:

4. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

letgot users will have 99% of the problems illegitamte users maby 1/10 of 1% might have an issue
    lol' gotta love Microflop!

5. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

"as it expands later in the year, it may become a requirement for the AU [Automatic Updates] service," Microsoft said in a FAQ on its Web site. "

As Of Right Now It Part Of Automatic Updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. _ə_

_ə_ New Member

I don't understand why they don't just lock the system out when a stolen key is detected. Like what happends when you don't activate in 30 days.

7. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

If they lock out on update, then people with dodgy copies won't update, and exploitable flaws will go unpatched, with Microsoft operating systems (even prated ones) being responsible for more and more malware and spam spreading.

It's a valuable service to everyone else, if they allow security updates to be made, even to pirate copies.

8. Dawnrazor

Dawnrazor New Member

Yes, but you can elect not to download this update, (unless you were set to automaticly dl and install updates).

I didn't download it, it can't screw up and falsley identify my copy as pirated if it isn't on my computer [​IMG]

9. _ə_

_ə_ New Member

which would only hurt other unpatched computers, ie. people with dodgy copies.

10. Dawnrazor

Dawnrazor New Member

No, it hurts anyone who gets spammed from a compromised computer, or any site that gets a DOS from an army of zombie machines.

11. _ə_

_ə_ New Member

OK, you have a point about zombie machines. I guess that's pretty generous of Microsoft to think about the well-being of the Internet in that way, instead of only looking after their own profits/losses.

Also, it looks like this is a decently balanced action on their part... letting the dedicated illegit user stay patched by putting up with it or finding a way around it... while probably bugging the casual illegit users (and the unknowing victims of piracy) enough to buy a legit copy.

12. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

You don't have to install it though, if you're choosing updates. They're planning on making no updates work unless it is installed.

MS seems to think Canada is part of the US. We definitely weren't on the list of countries that this was deployed to, but it still shows up in MSupdate and windowsupdate for all my computers.

13. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

I saw it too yesterday when I updated manually. For now, I haven't installed it even if I have a valid copy of Windows. I'm worried that it might make mistake in detection and display that messages even on genuine copies. It probably works correctly but I don't feel like testing it.

14. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

I bought Windows 95 and 98 and my last computer came with Windows 2000 ... why should I buy Windows XP if all they did was fix the past screw ups of overpriced operating systems? I built this computer myself and didn't bother spending hundreds on an OS that will be bugged and replaced eventually (Vista........) ... and people can simply ignore the latest update ....

15. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

I still don't see how anything people use as often as Windows is "overpriced" at $3-500.

I own every version of windows imaginable all the way back to 95 [95, 98, 98SE Upgrade, Me, 2000 Professional, 2000 Advanced Server, XP Home, XP Pro, and several versions of 2003 are around somewhere]....and 98SE, and XP Home were both bought full rice off the shelf...the others were acquired via buying new machines, or MSDN licensing...but still....I pay a few hundred bucks a year for MSDN.

ah well....i didnt update it either, cuz i hate running processes :p

16. Dawnrazor

Dawnrazor New Member

They're thinking oftheir own reputation as much as anyone's well being. What is one of the mostr common critisisms leveled against Windows? It's lack of security.

If they cut off security updates to thousands (maybe millions) of computers and they end up in botnets imagine how much more they'll get ripped on. And they would deserve it.

Cutting off updates like new versions of IE or Media Player to pirated copies is fine, only the pirates suffer, cutting off security patches comes back to hurt everyone.

17. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

people... you can choose NOT to install this update by just unchecking it at the windows update site (unless you have automatic updates enabled ... in which case, ouch.)

18. EcPercy

EcPercy Well-Known Member

You must have pirated windows. :lol:

I went to Microsoft Update, downloaded the WGA notification patch, and rebooted. I have not seen any warning that my stuff is not genuine.;)

19. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

*Microsoft Nags U.S. Users Of Fake Windows*

ermm not just U.S. users its also uk france germany etc ... you know .. the rest of the world :)

i have a genuine copy of window's but a few of my customers dont ....... some of them earn mega money but they are too cheap to buy a copy of windows , took about 35 seconds to get around the GenuineAdvantage thing though

arguments for and against are one thing but microsoft need t understand no matter how many time's they update the hackers will get around it

20. Dawnrazor

Dawnrazor New Member

I know somebody who got XP Corporate at a job he had a few years ago. Fully legit payed for copy for his laptop.

The company went out of business about a year ago and now WGA detects his copy as having an invalid VLK.

I'm not giving it the chance to misidentify my copy