Microsoft Nags U.S. Users Of Fake Windows

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by niceguyrichy, Apr 26, 2006.

1. EcPercy

EcPercy Well-Known Member

Microsoft changed the volume key algorithm with the release of SP1. So every company was issued a new volume key. This could be another reason that the key is not valid anymore.

Technically, if your friend is not working for the company any longer, he is not entitled to use that companies volume license. As far as I know, no one is entitled to use their companies volume license software for home use. Of course, this would also depend on the type of license that the company purchased.

As it stands, the company went out of business and they are no longer paying for the volume license and the key became invalid. Makes sense to me. Part of the volume license is paying for software assurance.

Looks like WGA has done what it was designed for if you ask me. Time for this "friend" to go and buy XP.

2. Dawnrazor

Dawnrazor New Member

First off you can lose the quotation marks. If it was me I'd say so. Hell, it wouldn't bother me to admit if I outright pirated XP. Take your insinuations and your attitude and shove them

So, despite the fact the copies were paid for, when the company went under they all revert back to MS? And that's a good thing and the way it should be according to you?
    All I can say is it must have been hard typing that with Bill Gates's wang in your mouth

3. EcPercy

EcPercy Well-Known Member

First, Save your disrespectful comments for the flame warzone.

Second, only a pirate would get offended by what I said.

Third, that is how Microsoft licensing works. You are not buying the software for ever and ever when you get a volume license. You are licensing the software for the length of the contract you paid for and usually that includes software assurance. When the license runs out you are no longer authorized to use the software. The joys of Microsoft product licensing.:duh:

More than likely. One of the scenarios I mentioned above did in fact happen. I wasn't aiming to offend you either way.

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  4. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

And in vista they go one step further, disabling the aero GUI and other "cool" features in vista when using a pirated version, which is fair enough.

But I guess it's easy from my point of view, since all the software from MS (and other also) I want to use is payed by my work.

5. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

I have one of the ver 1st copies of XP corrate , the wones with out thier RETARDED activations crap. I have a ligit copy. I will not install this update regardless.....
    Of cours i'm luckyand can get 101% legit copies of windows for $10 but not like
    i could resell them.

I hate activation I almost never want to update due to thier activation crap becouse
    i will be calling them every moth going, ok b**** reset my # of activations... it will
    be a pain for both of us...

6. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

lame lame lame. I can't update anymore. Thanks for not installing a legit windows, computer hardward store that'll burn down soon !!!

Any way around this new WGA ?

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

as far as i can tell... the only effect it has is a little bubble poppup that says something.. and then you can go on with life without worring about it

all programs work fine..

additional updates are downloading and installing fine...

8. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

updateing what I said before....

Na my copy's legit what i say is true thier is already a hack for
    it the day it ws released. So thos who legally own windows will
    see a nag. such as my legal copy would see a nag due to the kind
    that it is. I could go another $10 copy that wouldn't but why bother.
    it a "specail edition" . I have one of the very fist copy's of XP.
    WITHOUT ANY ACTIVATIN CRAP.!!!!! the way it was ment to be!

also, Be advised it being called "SPYWARE" by many becouse it "phones
    home" to microsoft every time you boot your PC.

Also b advised the many contracts with the US govment and law
    enforcement that MS won to hep witg cyber crime and intelligance.
    for all you know bush is spying on you :D

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  9. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

You pirates have to worry about so much. Is this download safe to install? Where can I get the latest crack for this genuine thing? How will I get my pirated copies of IE7 and WMP11?

I enjoy hearing about the pirates phoning home to microsoft, spending their precious time googling for the latest workaround, coming up with moral justifications for theft. In that same time I'm spending time with my friends, playing video games, or working on my hobbies.

Take it from someone who used to do what you do; it's just easier to play by the rules. If you can't live without windows, what's 150 bucks for something you spend HOURS on a day? You'd drop more than that on a video card without blinking.

10. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I doubt any one is spending that much time on looking up cracks, or patches to make stuff work.

Besides for some it's the fact of getting some thing for free when they shouldn't.

11. YAYitsAndrew

In that case you'd be better off using the time to repeatedly steal pc games and cd keys from best buy or something.

If you're gonna steal software might as well get all the benefits of being a thief; new car, new handheld device, new candy bars. There's no fine line on this stuff you either steal or you don't. Why stop at an operating system?

The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out. ~Thomas Babington Macaulay

12. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

akkk..... too...much....self.....righteousness... :dead:

all well and good andrew if it was as simple as coughing for $150us to buy a legit copy of windows(I have a proper copy btw, I'm not a fanboi)

but when M$ sell oem versions that require telephone registration so you can only install it legit on one comp I think is taking the piss :(

do the math, and for a low income house like mine which has 4 older comps and a work lappy you're talking £800+ sterling just to line the richest man on the planet's pockets that bit more..

bottom line, Windows is over priced for the average person.

13. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Because just for an OS, it's damn overpriced for many people as Richy stated so well. A video card is hardware that nobody else can make for free but OSes can be for free (Linux anyone?) and honestly, for the heap of junk that M$ XP is, it's way to expensive.

Secondly, for many people who know a thing or two about PCs, pirating takes two millionths of a second. You love the rules and I don't critize that as I do too but not everyone has the same values or point of views as you.

Anyways, I'm convinced XP was made EASY on purpose to pirate for market domination. And now with Vista coming out soon, they've started to crack down on piracy ;) It's a clever marketing ploy.

Then I'm a complete low life :p :rofl:

14. Judas

Actually, i was very happy purchasing one copy of windows... and i did.... one copy of x64 and one copy of xp pro (orginal).

I'm technically running legit copy, but it states that i'm not. Why? Because i've enabled workarounds the avoid having to reactivate every bloody second i change a devices IRQ or format and reinstall, or just about every conceiveable thing that make XP "red alert" every day or so.

When i purchased a copy of windows, i plan on using it on every machine i've got in the house, there is NO WAY IN HELL, that someone should be stuck with a old achient version of windows. IMO, microsoft made the stupid decision to make it only load on one machine, and then trying to figure out why the various viruses or why people are still using previous versions.

I'm content with not going to the update site and downloading every conceiveable update, as long as i get the critical updates.. which are auto downloaded.

15. YAYitsAndrew

Here I have a challenge for you. Linux is free for a reason. If you honestly think that windows xp is a pile of buggy garbage and not worth your money, then try and live without it for one week.

If you can do it, then you don't need to steal windows anymore. You can continue living on linux.
    If you can't do it, then windows may be worth the money.

Do you think linux being free means windows is overpriced? Maybe you forgot about that other OS out there (http://www.apple.com/macosx/) which costs around the same as windows xp.

I'm just here to make you think about what you're doing. There really isn't any justification for it. None at all. Any justification you can come up with, replace the software with a car and all of a sudden you're a car thief. It's theft. Of course if you stop stealing cars for your family now you'll have to pay a lot of money to get them all cars legitimately. Of course you still have to pay the car's cost even if the people selling it are filthy rich.

Stealing. All stealing.

16. Judas

no actuallly your "to Scale" comparison is NOT to scale.

replace the OS with a car... no... perhaps if i replaced the OS with a modified chip on the car i currently own.

I own the car, i own the chip i've currently got, i prefer to get a bit more out of the vehicle i paid for. (Would be at this point, to mention that i don't like goveners... so the chip i'm replaceing will remove it as an example, same as the activation of the current legal copy of xp vs the "modified" version that has it disabled)..

I'm not stealing a car here, i'm trying to make full use of something i've purchased, i'm not going to be limited by some other laws that don't apply to the area i live in.

I've paid for the software, i plan on using it to it's full extent.

also, you can't compare anything to the MAC OS, first, it's stuck to it's own limitations of being only available on macs...and secondly, it costs so bloody much due to being a MAC name.... which should actually make windows cheaper yet.

lastly, your car comparison also brings up another flaw, if one person uses the car, wouldn't your comparison then dictate that if another person uses it also that they just stole it, even though they reside in the same family?

17. YAYitsAndrew

I'm trying to make full use of my apartment, so I'm stealing cable, electricity, gas, and heat.

I'm trying to make full use of my bed, so I'm stealing sheets, pillows, and pillow covers.

Nice try. When you circumvent the purchasing method of a product that the distributor has every right to charge for, you're stealing. Your computer wouldn't work without a fan on the cpu, but you still have to pay for a good fan.

It goes on and on. You can't justify theft.

Um what else, macs run on intel chipset now (so go build your own computer and put osx on it). Aaand, your family can use your computer and your copy of windows the same way they can use your car. You don't sell windows. You don't make the rules. It sucks that I have to pay money every month for my cable modem, but that's the rules set forth by the service provider. By using their service I agree to follow their rules.

18. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Using Yay's logic if you by pass your factory installed security system for your car, you're in fact stealing it.

Also isn't it illegal to run OSX on a non-Apple approved system? You condone then tell some one to do some thing illegal. Tsk tsk

19. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

nobody uses my comp or my car except me and me alone, so that argument doesn't apply to me :lol:

I posted this thread almost 2 months ago already, and it's turning into a bit of a bitch fest, think it should be locked.

20. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

Staying on topic...

I have my IE blocked from my firewall anyways and I am not saying I have a legal or not legal version so nothing new from MS can be put on my computer!