Microsoft: No browserless Windows 7 after all

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Mac Daddy, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

It looks like there won't be a browserless version of Windows 7, after all.

Microsoft said late Friday that it won't ship the Windows 7 "E" version of Windows even though Europe has yet to sign off on its revised plan, which calls for the company to ship Windows 7 with Internet Explorer, but present a ballot screen in which users in Europe can decide whether they want Internet Explorer or another browser.

2. mike2h

mike2h New Member

lol i hope those fools dont sign of on that vers of win7 then have to deal with john q public

3. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Well, if I was in charge of MS, I'd ship the browserless OS version ONLY to the EU.

It would still have the IE shortcut on the desktop, but all that short cut would do is open a text file that would tell the user to contact his EU Minister for browser support, and include a list of all of the EU Minister's phone numbers. Let THEM deal with people that buy an OS with no way to get on the net :evil:

4. mike2h

mike2h New Member

lol. great idea!

5. Alistair

Alistair Spoos

Honestly I don't see the big deal. If you want an alternate browser download and install it then delete your IE shortcuts.

Also, if I am new to computers and buy a computer how do I magically access the internet if Internet Explorer isn't there? I can't get a browser at all short of going to work or a friend's home to download a browser to put on a thumbdrive so I can install it on my computer. Not many browsers charge users these days so I don't see the big deal with any of this. Yes competition is nice for driving new features and I love my Firefox, but you need something installed by default so you can get an alternative. Microsoft certainly isn't going to bundle the software of another company with their installs.

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Exactly, it is a very very stupid thing. I am glad MS will ship with browser. I wish MS was in charge of the EU instead of the idiots now.

7. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

I'm sure the EU Minister will be happy to provide Linux CD's to everyone who phones, so everyone will win.

You mean, the US already has no personal freedom, so why not extend this to Europe?

8. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I somehow doubt that. The elderly lady that's in charge of this case, Mrs Neelie Kroes, got her Master of Science in economics in 1965, 44 years ago. How much she knows about computers in general and Linux in particular is anyone's guess. And the fact that she's in charge of this instead of enjoying deserved retirement implies that most other EU officials would hardly be of greater help to struggling users.

[​IMG]

Also, while the remark sounds fun, I doubt that many users would be too thrilled with it. Remember, it's home users we're talking about, if they wanted linux, they would have gotten it themselves in the first place.

9. Trusteft

You are dreaming.

10. OldBuzzard

That's the whole idea behind my suggestion.

When the mobs carrying torches and pitch forks start gathering outside the EU Ministers offices and/or homes, it just might convience them to quit making silly demands of Microsoft.

11. IvanV

I was referring to ET3D's thought that the ministers could just give every caller a Linux CD. Though that would be interesting if the ministers were then in turn forced to handle those people's Linux related support calls for about a year (talk about cruel and unusual punishment :D).

12. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

My comments were sarcastic, so didn't do much good. Sorry. My opinion is that the EU's request to allow browser choice is reasonable, and IMO Microsoft's first response, to remove the browser, was done in spite. Why people are jumping to Microsoft's defense is not clear to me, and why someone can suggest that Microsoft could rule the EU better is even stranger.

Technically, providing a choice is not too complicated. Microsoft provides a choice of search engine in IE. Do you think that tying IE to Bing would be a good choice? Then why tie Windows to IE? I agree that there's nothing wrong with letting IE stay there, as a part of the OS, but offering a choice to download another browser sounds reasonable to me.

13. mike2h

mike2h New Member

having a choice is very reasonable. forcing a company to include another competitors product within theirs isnt.
    not sure why it is on ms show people what their other options are as far as a browser goes & to lead them to it while holding their hands.

14. IvanV

Exactly, that doesn't sound like fair or free trade at all.

For obvious and sensible reasons, every "manufacturer" equips their desktop OS with a web browser. MS puts their own IE, Apple uses Safari, and the organizations behind various Linux distributions do not make their own web-browsers, but they are still free to bundle their flavours of Linux with whatever open source web browser they deem fit. And on all of these OSes, you can download, install and make default any browser you like without any hitch or penalty within minutes. And now this economically perverse measure is being forced on only one of the players. Sounds wrong to me.

I've got a question for anyone better acquainted with these issues, though. Doesn't GPL license forbid people from distributing GPL licensed products as part of other, non GPL software? If so, how is MS supposed to provide Firefox as a choice to their users as part of the installation process?

15. Trusteft

I know, I know! They will be asked to also provide a linux distro with included mozilla/etc so that they can download any Windows browser!!! :rolleyes:

16. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Yeah. You know, I use IE once when I run a fresh install of an OS. I mean its just long enough to download chrome but I still would like it to be there so I can :)

17. OldBuzzard

I''m just the opposite Porky. IE is the only browser I use. It does everytihng that I want and/or need, and I don't see the need to use anything else.

In fact IE has beenthe only browser that I've used siice it came out. Before that I used :oops:AOL:oops: for one month, and then Netscape until MS released IE. That was back in '95. Man... AOL on a 9600 Dial-up connection...those were "The good old days" :D:D

18. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

ooo i remember those days.... that was when i was playing N64 and spending all the bandwidth on cheat codes and things.....

19. mike2h

mike2h New Member

im prety much the same as buzzard. ie does evrything i want & does it well.
    i think there are some peeps out there that dont like ie just because it is a ms product...

20. IvanV

I switched away from IE when the version 5.5 started having problems rendering certain pages. Maybe it was a cache related problem, maybe it was because I should have upgraded to 6, but one day I decided that I'd had enough of it and when I found out that Netscape was actually still alive and that version 7 had just been released I switched to it, found out that it worked great and got hooked on tabs.

Then I learned about Mozilla and that Netscape I had was actually a rebranded version of it and when I heard about it's new, ultralight version called Firefox, which was yet to reach version 1.0, I decided to try it. I was still on dial-up and while Mozilla suite was over 30MB big, Firefox was only around 5MB, if not slightly less at the time. Since then, I've mostly been faithful to it, even though I occasionally "flirted" with Opera and tried Safari. As for IE, I'm occasionally more or less forced to use it, but even though it's miles away from what it used to be and may be called decent, compared to any other relevant browser it's a step behind in almost every way so I was never tempted to switch back (especially since I had to code for IE7 which was a nightmare! IE8 should be better but I can't swear on that as I haven't got the experience).

Still, while it hasn't been my browser of choice for a long time, I have no complaints about it's being there. A desktop OS should come with a browser and it makes sense that MS should include the one which they make themselves. I have never found it's presence an obstacle for using any other browser. It was only a matter of finding out that there was a viable alternative. Nowadays, there are more good browsers than there used to be and with Firefox banners on many websites and the Guinness record and 1,000,000,000th download campaigns, with Google promoting Chrome on it's website and YouTube and even some coverage of the matter in mainstream media (as in daily papers) people are also much more aware of the possibilities, making a dubious decision like this completely unnecessary.