Microsoft: Office Format War Over

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: BetaNews
    ________
    Microsoft Office program manager Brian Jones, whose work has centered around the Open XML document format, now says the so-called format war with OpenDocument is officially over. The winner, he says, is both.

Jones made the statement in a blog post over the weekend following the release by Novell of an Open XML translator for OpenOffice. The plug-in enables the free, open source productivity suite to open documents created in the Microsoft format, as well as saving OpenDocument (ODF) files into Open XML.

2. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I hope this does something to stem the tide of Microsoft dominance. If the public could basically pressure them into sticking with one primary, totally open standard like Open XML, I would be quite pleased. I've had quite enough of Microsoft getting away with changing the file format arbitrarily with the intent of forcing upgrades to their new product, and excluding other suite vendors in the process.

3. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

Small victory for open-source - but thats probably not the end.

Something tells me that rabbit hole goes deeper than we know.

4. bug77

bug77 New Member

As I see it, Microsoft's format will still be the only one supported by M$ Office.
    And since they can be translated from one format to the other, it just shows that there was no need for OpenXML in the first place: both formats have the same abilities.

5. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Microsoft, by natively and fully supporting OpenXML, is for the first time ensuring that if someone wants to, they can save the document in a format that retains all of the formatting and special features, but does not require reverse-engineering the proprietary Office file formats.

You want to slow down the entire industries ability to respond to your new product? Change the file format and don't share that format with others.

Hopefully this will prevent that from having any sort of negative impact on the competition.

I dislike having to actually own a copy of Microsoft Office just so I can properly open client files for printing, etc. With this change, it will no longer be necessary. I can simply ask the clients to save all the files in OpenXML and I can read it with any application capable of opening those documents. All color information, font information, format information, etc. should be 100% preserved, meaning no compromises. It is a fantastic development, should it be properly implemented. I'm hoping that in order to get OpenXML certification, Microsoft must show that the OpenXML files saved by their apps are 100% compliant with the spec.