Microsoft plans antipiracy update for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Feb 11, 2010.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Microsoft said on Thursday that it is planning an update to Windows 7 that will close a number of loopholes that counterfeiters had used to thwart the operating system's built-in antipiracy measures.

The Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7, which will be released later this month, closes more than 70 "activation hacks," according to Joe Williams, general manager of Microsoft's Genuine Windows unit, responsible for anti-counterfeiting measures. The update will also check with a server periodically to see if there are further hacks that need to be addressed, though Williams said no personally identifiable information about the user will be sent to the server.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

This will probably keep anyone from activating their legit copy......

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

does this mean

SLMGR -REARM

is going bye bye?

I hope not.... i haven't had to purchase my own copy of windows for years now :p

(then again i don't have my own computer for more then a month or so...)

4. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

Another pointless move. Go figure.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

So... what happens if I don't download this? I'm a little obsessive about anything running in the background. :lol:

6. MythicaL

What makes Microsoft so damn sure that that they'll stop pirates by doing this? Do they really think they can protect such an important and well-known piece of software such as Windows from getting cracked again? I think not. So if anything, Microsoft is just wasting their time if you ask me.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Wasting their time and making it harder on legit owners. The hackers just see a new challenge

8. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

wait.... so you make an anti piracy update fully optional? what in the hell is the point of even releasing this then?

the hacked copies will just opt to not install this, and continue to run as a genuine copy.

the legit users see no reason to install it, as they know their copies are legit.

9. MythicaL

Another important aspect that companies don't realize is that the empowerment a customer feels from actually purchasing software is diminished once those customers find out that they are getting screwed for no real reason. Counterfeiters are having a shindig over how absurd this scenario is.

So, if anything, what Microsoft is doing is more or less providing a false sense of value to Windows with their "solution".

10. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

they really need to start thinking of their customers and not only their bottom line ... but then again i wonder just how many people will actually install this ??

11. IvanV

Even with the bottom line in thought, does this really help? In my country, it's still probably easier to find an illegal copy than a legal one, so is yet another attempt like this going to turn that around? And if the situation has improved over the last ten years, is it really because of this sort of activity on the part of MS? In my opinion, no, because, whatever they did, it did not reduce the availability of pirated software. On the other hand the people have become less poor and now you can actually find a legal copy of Windows in a store and the country has started to tackle piracy more seriously and those are the primary reasons why we have much more people with legal OSes than we used to - people choose legal software.

So, from the financial stand point, MS is probably best off firing the entire "Genuine Windows unit", because it's not really making any effect, and letting the law enforcement do their job (and they should turn on cracker teams if they really mean to make a significant change).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  12. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I'm not panicking...I'm not panicking...I'm not panicking :x

13. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

good, u shouldn't. just set a few restore point the next few days, especially right before any windows update. or just wait until the word is out on the new updates, see what does what.

14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i gauddamn hate system restore so much

15. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

Hah, now every time a pirate wants to run windows update it will be like walking on egg shells.

16. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

lol, sytem restore = get in and figure WTF and prep for reinstall!

srsly tho, have to wait and see whats up, but i bet this is gonna be for things that actually remove the protection and product activation out of the OS, could be wrong tho, depends how far MS wanna go and how much they want to hear from legit users about it.

lol, funny one. ya maybe for the day, but dont you converse with others on the interwebs?

17. IvanV

As recent surveys have shown, users generally don't update all that much and don't give much of a damn. My guess is that the pirates do that even less, so it will be pretty much business as usual for them. And if it does further reduce the number of people using Windows Update, it will create even more fertile grounds for botnets and that creates issues for everyone online, including honest, paying users. But that seems to be one of some people's last concerns.

18. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Hmph, not even. Just uncheck install updates automatically and wait for a fix. You'd make a lousy pirate with that kind of attitude! Where's your sense of adventure, updates become an exciting event when you're a pirate :cool:

19. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

How many pirates have you met that actually give a damn about windows updates? My family don't care and they all bought theirs legitimately. If you aren't cruising all manner of sites for Pr0n and Warez you're fine as long as you're careful.

20. YnHDaRkMaN

YnHDaRkMaN Image of the invisible...

QFT
    in other words, that statement FAILS