Microsoft to Make MSN Messenger Fixes Mandatory

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by TwistedMetal, Feb 11, 2005.

1. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal MC John-117

Microsoft Corp. on Friday lashed out at two security research firms for publishing proof-of-concept exploit code for MSN Messenger hours after Microsoft released security patches for the product.

In one instance, the software giant said malicious hackers have modified the proof-of-concept code into an exploit that puts millions of users at risk of code execution attacks that require no user interaction.

Moving swiftly to blunt an attack, Microsoft has decided to push out patched versions of MSN Messenger as a mandatory update. As of Thursday evening, users of the popular instant messaging client must update to MSN Messenger version 6.2.0205 or the MSN Messenger 7.0 beta before they are allowed to log on.

"When the vulnerability was announced this week we initially introduced an optional upgrade and had plans to make the upgrade mandatory," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "But when we learned that detailed exploit code had been published on the Internet we felt the need to take decisive action."

Full Article: Microsoft to Make MSN Messenger Fixes Mandatory

2. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

do they mean yesterday's thursday or next week's ? cuz it didn't update anything .... I'm still running the 0137 version and not the 0205

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

The article is dated today,so i would presume next thursday.

also the updates are here for 6.1 & 6.2.

4. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

ah yup you can just click on "download and install later" or whatever .... cool cool .... I feel secure now ! (lol....)

5. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

Sounds like bad news for us Trillian users...