Microsoft unveils Windows 365 -- ushering in a new category of computing

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Calliers, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft Corp. on Wednesday announced Windows 365, a cloud service that introduces a new way to experience Windows 10 or Windows 11 (when it becomes available) to businesses of all sizes. Windows 365 takes the operating system to the Microsoft cloud, streaming the full Windows experience — apps, data and settings — to personal or corporate devices. Secure by design and built with the principles of Zero Trust, Windows 365 secures and stores information in the cloud, not on the device, providing a secure, productive experience for workers from interns and contractors to software developers and industrial designers. Windows 365 also creates a new hybrid personal computing category called Cloud PC, which uses both the power of the cloud and the capabilities of the device to provide a full, personalized Windows experience. The announcement represents a groundbreaking development as organizations around the world grapple with the best ways to facilitate hybrid work models where employees are both on-site and distributed across the globe.

"With Windows 365, we're creating a new category: the Cloud PC," said Satya Nadella, chairman and CEO, Microsoft. "Just like applications were brought to the cloud with SaaS, we are now bringing the operating system to the cloud, providing organizations with greater flexibility and a secure way to empower their workforce to be more productive and connected, regardless of location."

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yeah.... cloud can go fuck itself

Trusteft and Mr Cairo like this.
  3. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

100%

Trusteft likes this.
  4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

We implement certain business solutions. As much as the vendor touts the cloud, "On premise variant available" is what gets people excited most of the time.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've ZERO customers that are excited about cloud... in fact they have hired me to get them the fuck off it in any way possible.

Cloud "services" are nothing more than "indefinite fixed costs with the promises, often lacking, of making it more reliable".

People seem to neglect the fact that internet services break down, that data can be stolen, that employees at said cloud companies can fuck you around and you're basically screwed with any way of dealing with it directly.

A local business that last year i had fixed up to move them off cloud services (after they had been convinced to try and were utilizing it and then moving to 2 other cloud services after getting screwed with). Basically the companies ended up holding their data ransom because the customer was disapointed with the services since it was so damn unreliable, and expensive for what they were getting. Suffice it to say, it ventured into the legal matter and involved lawyers, they got their data back because the company had no legal ground, but it still had to go through wasting 1000's of dollars just to jump through the hoops, and the company didn't give a shit, that was their goal.

As nice and dreamy as having services accessible world wide, with all your data and the ability to process transactions or whatever, it's incredible to me how often people willfully without any thinking at all, just hand over so much information nonchalantly to often massive companies that honestly couldn't give a shit if you lived or died the next day. Sure they may lose a customer, but if they got even just one payment out of you, they already won.

Going back to the local company, they operate as an insurance broker with a few other variants of work. Suffice it to say, every tech company they were dealing with were, to put it probably lightly, screwing them over in any way possible. As i said the cloud services they were being sold and what they were being told were often complete lies or riddled with enough truth to seem like a good deal. But once they got into it, they found that the monthly fees and other unmentioned ones made it counter productive. The services they were often being sold were for companies that have multiple locations (i'm talking like dozens if not hundreds). In addition, when they were looking for a self managed solution, they were being sold a dedicated server off site and then 10's of thousands of dollars per year for the hardware and licenses and tech support.

Then they looked at just running their own dedicated server in house, but the price tag didn't really shift at all.

in the end the business owners came to me, and asked "is this something you can do, all we want to do is run our 3 locations, with our typically single employee maybe 2 employee staff at each location throughout the day that need to access these simply programs".

My solution was to slap a NAS in the office, a dedicated tiny computer worth about $900 bucks, then they only had to pay for one license for the programs they needed rather than multiple. And then in order for other locations to access the same network without fucking around with wildly unpredictable VPNs and colourful routing and networking, i just suggested that it might be easier just drop 2 computers of low cost in the same building, connected to the network and set them up with remote login, so the 2 other locations can access it from their computers over said network. That way they have full control over a low cost simple dedicated computer that still functions as a usable work machine, as well as have control over the backup storage media (NAS) that does daily backups, and then be able to plug in a USB external hardrive to backup the backups to take home.

No monthly bills aside from the low low cost of i think $10 dollars or whatever "logmein" charges for 2 machines. (they chose log me in).

Their prior bill for the LOWEST cost solution for a cloud service, was about $3800/m

6. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Cloud computing the terminals PC computing before the IBM PC existed, only for the 21st century.
    MS and other providers so called cloud computing have a wet dream thinking of having even more control over their customers, having their customers depending on them and not being able to stop paying them.
    Nothing new, MS has been trying this for ages.
    You can also thank all the....people who support cloud gaming for years now or those who willingly paying subscription to never own a copy of a game/software.

I am glad I won't be around for ever. Too much stupidity in the world.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

"With Windows 365, we're creating a new category: the Cloud PC."

Oh really? What's the difference between this, and "Desktop As A Service" from companies like Citrix MD, Cloudalize DaaS, VMWare Horizon, or Amazon Workspaces and the like?

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  9. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Probably the same as the one between Software as a Service and Cloud. I remember, back before cloud actually took off, that people were saying things like "But nooo, it's not the same, this is the next level, with redundancy provided by servers on different continents to ensure 100% availability and data security and blah blah blah" - a) things that don't really differentiate cloud as a new concept and b) things that 99% of the time aren't actually provided by cloud service vendors.

Calliers likes this.