Microsoft Windows 7 Black Screen Of Death! Rev. 2.0

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Jan 28, 2010.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Amidst the many favourable reports of Windows 7 beta, many techies were eager to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. After all, those who tested it were enthusiastic enough to label it as "the operating system Windows Vista was meant to be".

However, it appears that even experienced techies can expect to hit some road bumps on their way to installing Windows 7. Let's see what some of our techies experienced.

2. ExitiosuS

ExitiosuS Simian Masterpiece!

I personally feel that this article is a load of crap. An ATi driver that survived the numerous beta processes involved... caused that many issues for this single tech site, and yet, was unknown until this article?

I have an ATi graphics card on two of my laptops, a lot of the members of my family use ATi (most of which aren't tech savvy), and no one has encountered any kind of issues from upgrading to Windows7.

Honestly, this sounds too much like a way to bring back bad Microsoft PR.
    It's kind of pathetic.

3. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

this is os was the SMOOTHEST install ever and the default settings are very well configured which i just keep it on

4. gascieus

gascieus Under the Crimson Air

While it's never happened to me, I recall there were quite a few users on the Internet having this issue. Googling windows 7 black screen of death returned enough results to back this notion up. But I thought this issue was fixed back in December/early January?

5. ExitiosuS

ExitiosuS Simian Masterpiece!

Googling "Windows 7 Black Screen of Death" and you end up with a security update that caused the glitch, for the most part. Within the first two pages of results, there is nothing about a BSOD that affects users when they try to install Windows 7 with an ATi adapter, with the default ATi drivers as the culprit.

While I never said that the BSOD was impossible, I felt the notion that the default ATi driver, and the alarmist news this article had about how those with ATi hardware should hold caution with a USB key at the ready with updated drivers because every editor on their site ran into some unknown issue about how Windows7 flubbed during their installs.
    (Yes, I'm exagerating)

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Is it really driver related, or is it more about improperly detected available screen resolutions (usually due to an improperly detected monitor) or refresh rate? Every time I encounter this black screen o death it's usually because of the latter 2, and I'm more inclined to think this way due to the solution of one of the editors mentioned in the article that had swapped out his monitors.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I was running into similar with my 5770 and 9.11 drivers, I was trying for 1280X1024 on an analog CRT monitor and it would black screen. ATi claimed one of the fixes in 9.12 was to fix a failure to switch modes/resolution because of an interference with MS Security Essentials on Win7....... Not actually a Windows issue at all if it was Security Essentials causing it..... Since 9.12 that has not reoccurred on my system........ When it was happening using an LCD as a second monitor would force that resolution on both monitors.

8. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Yeah....I'm pretty much a self-admitted ati fan boy and all of my computers in the house areon Win 7 now and non of them have had any problems

9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Sounds to me like they would have a whole lot less problems installing Win 7 if they would quit using incompetent boobs as forum admins, and editors.

10. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

Well boobs can make people pretty incompetent my friend.

But I have seen some sexy smart tech ladies.

11. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Although, Windows 7 can drive you nuts with it's insistence on installing drivers for a device, especially if you just uninstalled drivers for that device (oh.. say.. graphics drivers..) in order to install new ones. It can be really frustrating.

Anyways, Microsoft should never have included graphics drivers, and stuck with their old tried and true "default" driver. Default driver = no conflicts. Any conflicts that arise would then be AFTER the fact, and would be more easy to troubleshoot and recover from (such as a back step via system restore).

12. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I've gotten a the Windows 7 Black screen of death quite a few times, it seemed to be caused and remedied by switching on and off my HDTV which is set up as an extended desktop.

13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i've only experienced issues where the screen would go black and the system would not respond to shutdowns WHEN an nvidia display driver was present, i've replaced a number of peoples machines video adapters with ati equivilents or better after finding a number of them were having this issue.

I confirmed the problem when i decided to swap my ati card for 2 different nvidia models that would randomly during a single week, produce symptoms where the machine would for no apparent reason, give me a black screen on the monitor, like it went into monitor power savings mode, and wouldn't come out of it even though all the power savings features were disabled and the monitor was set to never shut off.

the keyboard lock fuctions would stop working, the sound would stop, everything would halt and a forced shutdown was required, when win7 starts up it knows there was an error, but doesn't know what it was and can't give me any information in the event viewer aside from an improper shutdown.

14. syobon999

syobon999 New Member

bizarre hardware failures + software bug = random errors