Microsoft: XP SP3 is still on the schedule for Q1 2008

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: All About Microsoft Blog (ZDNet)

I asked Microsoft for an official comment on Thurrott's XP SP3 post and received the following response:

"SP3 for Windows XP Home Edition [and Professional] is currently plannedfor 1H CY2008. This date is preliminary," said a Microsoft spokeswoman.

2. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

It still totally sucks. I think Thurrott nailed it. MS is abandoning XP in all the important ways, and purposefully undermining confidence in it in terms of being an up-to-date, continually secure OS.

A full run of Security patches until 2014 like they promised? Don't look that likely if they are going to pull this kind of stuff. :(

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

They just said they will release a SP3, even 7 years after the release of the OS, and they will continue to support it till 2014 and you bitch about lack of support? Till when would you like the OS to be supported? 2080?

Alistair likes this.
  4. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I would like lifetime XP support...even after I die MS should continue making service packs so my cryogenically frozen head doesn't thaw out when the Xp pro machine keeping it on ice crashes due to lack of patches.

5. technonerd

technonerd New Member

What ya bickery about. Would you rather Microsoft keep supportting Dos and Windows 3.1......NO, because nobody is using it. Same thing as Windows 95 and 98se, as I fix computer 25 computer week and I only see THREE windows 98se or ME for one whole year, so what's the point on keep supporting it?

In 2020 there maybe a better OS then Vista, nobody wouldn't want to use Xp anymore.

6. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Nope. In full with regular service packs till 2014 as the PROMISED.

The support effort should not be de-emphasized or deprived of resources during that time.

7. Trusteft

So basicaly you want to pay something once 100-300 US$ and expect them to keep working on improving/fixing it regularly 13 years after you bought it. Wow.
    They said they will release patches, so what if they don't release a SP4? Who cares?
    If someone (not you) can't afford a new OS every decade or so then perhaps he/she should focus on other things than PCs. Like getting a job or food on the table.

8. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Don't worry BlueMak, that's just how dude DudeBoyz is...

Anyways, glad MS is still holding onto XP just enough for SP3, though personally, I want Vista soon!

9. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Hardware no. Software? Why not.

10. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Meh I dont hope SP3 is going to be a big update like SP2, but more of a "lets-collect-security-updats and bug-fixes" update, maybe add WMP11 as standard update :p

11. Sonata

Sonata New Member

It's not that surprising that MS are predicting that XP SP3 will be ready by next year, lately it seems they have been slow to do anything much. With the exceptions to things like suing people and releasing DRM patches.

12. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Microsoft is the one who committed to extend support out to 2014. Since they did, they should support it properly. If they had no intention of doing so, they should not have committed to it.

13. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

for the patches, there is nothing to be worried about, not having any more update to the OS or anything like that, not in the next 2-3 years from now yet.
    and as for the new service pack itself, as some might be alarmed about it at this point, my guess is that, it is quite obvious that there is still a lot of work that need to be done by Microsoft and whomever involved in the releasing of this new service pack, so when they are ready, it will be released.
    we should not make it likes someone have broke a promise or cannot keep the promise with you, and now they should be hated and must be destroyed, or something, well, it's not quite like that, but this's how i get the idea sometimes from reading some of forum or message board posts.

for people who do not understand the different of service packs and patches this below Microsoft TechNet Security's article may help explain it...
    Why Service Packs Are Better Than Patches - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/essays/srvpatch.mspx?mfr=true

14. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Got a PM saying that the extended XP support is to appease the government in regards to their Anti-Trust "settlement". I had not thought of that.

Guess that explains why they are so reluctant to put their full weight behind the effort. Nobody likes to be forced into supporting a product they would rather discontinue.

I just hope consumers don't get caught in the middle and end up getting the shaft on this.

15. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

The delay in Vista, already pushed XP into what would have been close to an EOL phase, with the first offering being 2 years full support from the release of Vista - I guess beyond that, it's "critical" bugs only, though by that time, hopefully most of the holes will already have been discovered and filled.

I can see Microsoft having greater and greater difficulty in keeping users obediently running on their upgrade treadmill, unless they seriously discount upgrade licencing to the point where it is a no-brainer.

The 3 issues most users have with upgrading an OS are:
    1. Will my old hardware / software work with it
    2. What improvement will it give me
    3. What will it cost me
    Not neccessarily in that order.

And for Vista, IMHO, those results are:
    1. Maybe and maybe
    2. It depends, the basic edition is "under the hood" improvements only
    3. Retail & upgrade Windows is such abysmal value compared to hardware bundling, that I really wouldn't consider it

16. Trusteft

Out of curiosity, what is going on on the Apple front? For how many years does Apple provide full support for an OS of theirs for free?

17. Paradox Enigma

Paradox Enigma Lurker

Not surprising the government would drive the support issue. We're just starting to get XP on machines here within my branch of DoD. I'm running W2000 as I type this. We may see Vista by 2014 or so.

18. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Windows 2000 Pro is still an awesome corporate OS, imo.

Microsoft is in a unique position in that it is totally dominant in terms of market share, particularly in the US. Because of that Monopoly and the way that got there, the government put the smack down and is forcing them to continue support well beyond what the capitalist system would normally dictate.

Basically, it's like "Fine - you wanted to eliminate virtually all your competition - you did that and have a defacto monopoly. Be careful what you wish for - you just may get it. Accordingly, because of the way you did it, we're going to put requirements upon you that fit your station as a monopoly, just like we did with AT&T and the old Railroad monopolies."

So Microsoft is like all defiant and saying "Fine - we'll play it your way. If you are going to treat us like a monopoly, we'll keep on taking steps to make sure we stay one."

That Novell deal is a prime example of how they intend to keep doing that.

Self fulfilling prophecy or something. :(

I would think that under traditional circumstances, the standard software support life should be between 3 and 5 years max.

Guess you reap what you sow.

If Microsoft only had say 40% of the OS market, and Apple had 30% and Linux had 30%, they probably wouldn't be in this situation and could get away with dropping support for the previous OS just a bit after the newer version comes out.