Mineral oil....

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by The_Neon_Cowboy, Nov 14, 2003.

1. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

why has no one tried any Mineral Oil.... setups? have you ever seen these? they build the pc in a container of mineral oil ... and use a modified airconditioner core to cool the liqud to freezing temps!
    i have seen anyone toteing these in forever... there silent and cold....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

.......neato idea......

3. The_Neon_Cowboy

its been around since the days of p1's but it seems the ball was dropped somewere ... i wonder why? it would cool every chip.. and make insane o/c's possable

4. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

But probably was a complete pain in the ass to clean off.

5. Nuke209

Nuke209 New Member

:) :)

6. The_Neon_Cowboy

Couldn’t be … a little science ....just some rubbing alcohol … it'd float to the top and youd drain it off....

The cooling effects are much better than anything out there you’d pay a ton of $$$ for …
    …..and it doesn’t just cool one or two chips it cools every single chip in the system and to freezing temps …

but i wonder what killed the effort from all i've read in the past this was a kick arse way of o/cing stuff way higher then on water or air quite possable the best in existance...

i wonder i it had a corrosive effect?

7. scobywhru

scobywhru DriverHeaven Senile Member

I think its just the fact people don't want to build that kind of setup and if theymake it for a LAN then its a real pain to move around

P.S. Besides you still need to use a heatsink with the current gen of CPU's the mineral oil just can't take away the heat fast enough

8. The_Neon_Cowboy

ture it does em a pain but youd figure thered be at lest one guy out there running this way....

9. TuEKiD

TuEKiD New Member

is that realy what i think it is?, a motherboard thats being submerged in Mineral Oil???, WTF?, can som-1 explain to me what is happening in that picture exacly, i dont understand whats happening..

10. The_Neon_Cowboy

yes it submerged in minral oil .. wich is usally cooled useing a modfied air conditer coil to give freezeing temps 2 the entire motherbroad video card everything..... exept the power supply and drives

mineral oil is not conductive

11. TuEKiD

TuEKiD New Member

sorry if i sound like such a n00b but what do u mean "usaully cooled using a modifed air condtioner", in my mind i see a AC unit blowing cold air right on the "setup", may-b u can be a bit more clear...

12. TuEKiD

TuEKiD New Member

another question, why would u pour the oil on ur Mobo if u planned on "cleaning it off"

13. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

If I understand correctly, an air conditioner has a compressor unit that goes to two heat exchangers - one gives off heat to the outside, and one cools air. If you remove the one that cools air, and replace it with something that circulates the mineral oil through it for cooling, it would cool the mineral oil and probably more efficiently than simply having cold air blowing on the oil.

14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i so want to try this with my little old rig...... just wondering... were can i find a couple gallons of high quality mineral oil... (btw, wouldn't just a tad bit of condensation screw it all up.. as i think water is heavier then the oil..so it would gradually fill up....

15. TuEKiD

TuEKiD New Member

thats pretty wild, i'd love to see what kinda temps u could pull with this, if u were to put Mineral Oil in a water cooling Kit does anyone think it would be more effective?

16. The_Neon_Cowboy

thats true water us a no no! i dont know that have to be an afull wet place to worry about it... unless your outside lol

its thicker than watter it might burn the motor up! but some peopl used pumps in the past... i have no clue what though

17. Nuke209

Nuke209 New Member

Mineral Oil is sold at stores, I would just grab a bottle and try it on an 486 and see what happen, pictures please :D

18. scobywhru

scobywhru DriverHeaven Senile Member

Mineral Oil doesn't have the same thermal capacity as waster so it wouldn't be able to hold as much heat so the cooling wouldn't be as good as the standard watercooling set up

P.S. What mineral oil does though is that it can transfer heat alot better then air and its none conductive... although technically so is pure H2O its just the minerals and salts in the water that make it conductive... actually pure water was used as an insulator on the older tranformers

19. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

Contaminants from the PCBs would likely make pure water on a circuit board a difficult proposition. Autoionization of water also makes it conductive to a very mild degree - I wouldn't submerge the PSU in water, though the mobo and all would probably be ok.

20. The_Neon_Cowboy

Yea, but the slightest impurity it would conduct would it not? Also, even pure is slightly corrosive.