Mineral oil....

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by The_Neon_Cowboy, Nov 14, 2003.

1. scobywhru

scobywhru DriverHeaven Senile Member

actually pure water is very corrosive if I remeber right, it is the best cleaner it will pick up anything that it touches but I may be confused

2. Trunks0

Trunks0 Keeping an open mind

Then would it not just pick up metals off the mother board it's self and become conductive? Since it would be in direct contact with metals that Iam betting could leach alittle into the water? Since there where never designed to be in contact with somthing like water in the first place?

Oh and I could see some vary sweet plastic cases with mineral oil cooling.....And just think how cool it look the setup would look glowing in whatever colour you choose :drool:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  3. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

lol even IF THE WATTE WAS 100% OK YOUR Fogetting YOUR Chemistry !!!!!

what does led do in watter? is desolves!!!! so not only would it remove the solder from the board the water would become conductive over time!!!

4. @/2ct!<

@/2ct!< New Member

You need high quality pure mineral oil as well, stuff in stores can be diluted with water, etc, making conductive, or at very least have some contaminants inside.

5. scobywhru

But can you say lacquer its been used to keep condensation off boards since people started cooling there computers to subzero temps but we could use it to keep the water off most of the board and should still conduct heat well if placed llightly enough on the board....

AND yes I am thinking of trying something of the sorts on an old PC I have laying around....

6. The_Neon_Cowboy

thats what of people use cheap stuff from the store..

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

er.. this topic is going to rise very very quickly to the top again...

8. scobywhru

What for, my interest is peaked

9. Judas

i got a buddy currently .... actually is putting a rig of his in oil tonight... and i plan on doing it soon with a rig i got for $5

10. scobywhru

oooh interesting

11. Judas

tiss.... but i don't know how far he'll get with just the oil... and no additional cooling like cooling the oil itself.. or moving the oil...

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well thats' dumb, the oil will just get hot. If it's not getting cooled, it's not even worth trying. I guess you could make some chicken wings in it after a few hours, cause it would get really hot.

13. Judas

well considering... that all the parts he's using.... don't even need a heatsink really... slow ...SLOW rig....

14. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Isn't it just a bit silly to have a plastic tub or styrofoam container as your case? And have your PS and drives just lying about? :lol:

15. The_Neon_Cowboy

most people use modified, aircondtioner coils to keep the oils at freezein temps sub 32deg

but then alot of people who lest thier systems on and didn't watch for condensationbuild up to the point it started melting ended up with dead systems... watter goes stright down to the mobo

I've herd of people useing a sealed enclouse and put it in like a freezer this was a big fad while it laster it wen't boom, then wen't away just as fast....

16. Judas

an air conditioner would be best.... it spits out dry air... if you keep the air completely dry. it'll be good

17. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

The container would have to be perfectly sealed, and the oil circulated through a radiator at least, the system would have to be a pressurized system in a closed circuit, much like water cooling. The main problem I see is generating enough flow in the case, without ended up with "hot spots". Only way I can think of to over come this would be to use a round sealed case, with the oil being circulated in one direction, and the oil being extracted through the center, this would keep the hot spots to a minium, but PCI cards would still cause a problem. Other wise you could use a rectangle case with multiple pumps and radiators, as well as multiple lines in and out, flowing across the mother board.

The oil sounds good in theory and could work with specially made components. Also I am sure that some of you know that the coil on a car used to be filled with mineral oil, and would transmit as much as 43,000 volts to the spark plugs!!

18. Judas

.....welll i'm thinking if i went out can got a cheaper "cooler" (for food) with a drain valve on the bottom....made mostly of styro foam.... along with a few low RPM fans that i could stick in that would be tough enough to move the oil around.... a peltlier ... i think it all work good.... what i do is mount the mobo and whatnot a good 4 maybe 5 inches from the bottom.... and see if i can put some kind of window in the side so that i can see the condensation drop to the bottom... and simply drain it...(me wonders if mounting it semi virtically would be best... with the pci cards and mobo vitical and the ports on the mobo and cards just about sticking out)

19. Judas

i actually just have a thought of just submerging the entire case

20. G@MeBoY

G@MeBoY makes your mouse tremmble!

interesting idea, but I think that moving to Russia and keeping your PC case open and outdoors on -30 would be easier than all this :) Also, you wouldn't like to change your graphic card offten with that "oil rig" setup :) Also I think that mineral oil will get spoiled over time and start to stink awfull, then I see a "oil change" problem...Also you would have to tighten the CPU pretty hard, you dont wont oil (non conductive) to get between CPU's pins and contacts on mobo because you will lose CPU signal. This goes for every component that has contacts...