Mineral oil....

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by The_Neon_Cowboy, Nov 14, 2003.

1. SaberZ

SaberZ -Android Fanatic-

I never knew that was an option to cooling. A bit on the messy side, but damn, mineral oil, who woulda thought.

2. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

no the modfied coil, the cold side is partally submerged, some use pumps for added oil flow, say acoss the cpu or gpu....

as for hot spots? can't be that hot of a spot when most the liquid is 32 deg F or much less, it would be much better then any air cooled heat sink i'd think ... mabe up there with promethia

but think of the feaking mess?

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

...well my buddy has his machine submerdged... and has been able to get high OC's... he has nothing at all that moves the oil around... just slapped the parts in the oil and powered up... his 2 voodoo 2's in SLI mode are 105mhz now (15mhz high... and 10mhz higher then with extra air cooling..)... he's now looking for a cheap solution to getting some extra cooling applied to the oil..

4. nuG

nuG is having a sexy party

this is simply the most radical solution ive seen that actually works. pictures anyone?

5. Judas

... i'm trying to get a camera to head over to the guys place and take a few shots..... i'm right now looking to sell a few dozen parts i got here... and get a p2 or p3 mobo and cpu.... and put my AIW card in with 512mb of ram and a solid 40gb hardrive.... and submerge it.... the other guy i mentioned and i were talking about way to keep condensation and moisture from building up... using a TAP kind of idea at the bottom so whenever it start to fill up... just crank it on and let some of the water out... also he was going to pick up a little fridge... not sure if he decided to shove the whole thing in there or what.... ( i recommended he not do that..)

6. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

awesome....keep us updated!!!

7. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Submerge a HD? I wouldn't do that...:uhoh:

8. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

unless the HDD is totally sealed, which i think they may be, it will be totally screwed once the oil seeps in

9. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah, plus theres' just no need to cool a HD like that- air works good enough I would think.

10. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

:rofl:

11. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

lol are u laughing at the age of this anceint powerhouse, when compared to you 4ghz machine?

12. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

no im not laughing at it. I just find it amusing people go to these extreme lengths to gain such a little overclock on old hardware. Those voodoo2s in sli mode where fantastic in their day, to go slopping oil on them is just insane to me. collectors items.

didnt mean to sound patronising, its been an interesting thread !

13. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I think for the price of the oil you could buy a faster video card-- But I think it was more of an experiment really. I'd have a really hard time putting anything PC hardware worth any money at all into a vat of oil..

14. Judas

he pretty well got the oil free.. and he's not interested in overclocks.. he's interested in a very much silent machine and the effects of what you can do with oil..... it's just to play around with.... i told him that the voodoo's were relics and that he shouldn't cover em with oil....but....

15. BWX

BWX get out and ride

If it does really work, it would be an interesting mod for an acrylic case (sealed)-- You could light it all up with blue LEDs. You would definitely have to get the oil moving and get it cooled- I was thinking there would probably be a way to filter it at the same time- then you wouldn't have to worry about replacing it all the time or contamination and moisture building up in it. I bet if it was done right you could get some crazy overclocks with some late model hardware too.

16. Judas

he's got some green led lighting in it i think... but yet.... if it's done right.. and some actual time put into the thought and design.. i'm pretty sure you could take on the promethia cooling.... 200-300% overclocking

17. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah, if you start thinking about it- you could install pumps to blast the oil around in there- and you could could not only cool the oil, but you could split up the output lines from the cooler to hit the CPU heatsink, the video card (the heatsink, the ram, and the whole card), and the memory so they get the coldest air first. You could do it all with clear tubing so you could see right though it. If someone ever did it like that, I'm sure it would be cool. And it really would be pretty quiet, except for the oil pump and cooler, but you could make those run pretty quietly, or have them far enough away so you couldn't hear it and just run longer tubes..

18. Judas

with the pump working rather slowly (don't need much).. and being submerged as well most likely.... i doubt you'd here the pump even......

19. G@MeBoY

G@MeBoY makes your mouse tremmble!

what about submerging the computer into liquid nitrogen :D :D :D
    I am guessing, after doing that you could say that you are the only person who freezed the computer to death :D :D LOL I find this whole oil thing very amusing :) Are there any "agenens" (add-ons) that could be added to oil to produce chemicall reaction and make oil cool itself ?! You could try to add "diessel" add-on for making oil more flexiblle and less dense, that should make oil better for heat absobation and easier to cool on top ?! You could also pump it to radiator and cool it there. Just as watter cooling, but you would need a LARGE AND POWERFULL pump !

20. Judas

well..... the guy went out and is now modding up a full sized fridge..... he's been running his machine in the oil without and additional cooling with everything overclocked about 10-15%... (he removed all the fans as they wouldn't turn to well)..... as for diessel.... er. no...it has inpurities.. a no no...