Mixy 8x2 is out

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by townkat, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The only thing I could determine is that it has something to do with the number (87) of parameters you are saving in the presets.

I took an otherwise fully working plugin, and increased the number of parameters from 4 to 100 and ended up with the same problem.

It is not a saving problem because all the values are saved correctly to the registry. There must be a limit somewhere on the number of parameters (when it is populating the list) that is causing the problem.

Maybe Max or Eugene can shed some light on this.

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

In the mean time you might consider a workaround, as I think it would take another driver release (SDK update) to fix the problem. One thing you might consider is to consolidate all those switches to use 2 parameters total. Since thier value can only be 0 or 1, you only need a single bit to store the value, and each parameter has 32 bits for you to use for saving. It could be tricky and I am not sure what would be the best way to do it. Maybe catch the event yourself for the checkboxes in on_command (or make the control ID's sequential and use ON_CONTROL_RANGE, etc), and then retrieve all the values for each group of checkboxes, and then call set_param yourself, passing to it an integer containing the bit values for all the checkboxes in that group. I would have to try it out myself to work out all the details, but something like this should be possible to workaround this issue. (this would eliminate something like 45 parameters).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  3. townkat

townkat New Member

ok,

this should be pretty hard to do because those parameters appear in almost all the code sometimes with names, sometimes with number, sometimes as "i" value....

i dont know....

but thnx again, u have no ideea how stuck i was concerning finding what was causing this bug...

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yeah, it would be fairly difficult and it would make the kX Automation interesting. hehe

I am not sure it would be worth it. You might be better off just adding your own Preset functionality (including strings?).

In any case, I would wait to see if Max replies, and see what he has to say, or maybe contact Eugene. If nothing else, it would be good to know what the max number of parameters is due to this issue.

5. townkat

townkat New Member

i contacted eugene this morning via email,
    i am curious about max parameter number too,

cya

6. townkat

townkat New Member

seems like max number of parameters is 65
    i opened mixy 4x2 project and tried diferent values for #define MIXY_PARAMS_COUNT

#define MIXY_PARAMS_COUNT 65 preset workin fine

#define MIXY_PARAMS_COUNT 66 preset problem apear

cya

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, well that is good to know.

BTW: Just for the heck of it (to see what is involved, etc), I made a small plugin to test out using less parameters for multiple switches. It does work. Of course your situation would be much more complicated than what I did with that plugin, but if you want to take a look at it, I added the source code to my downloads page (it has 20 checkboxes, using 2 parameters, and uses ON_CONTROL_RANGE). It is at the very bottom of the page. It is fairly basic as it does not use any other controls, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

8. townkat

townkat New Member

ok thnx, i am away from home till monday so ill take a look when ill arive home

9. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

There seems to be another bug with the kX Preset's functionality. It seems that if you save a preset without modifying the default settings, it causes the presets to act up as well, until you delete that preset . This bug is what was making me thing that the mixy 4x2 plugin was having problems as well, but it was not the mixy plugin but rather a general bug.

i.e.
    In any plugin:
    Reset Defaults.
    Save a Preset without changing any settings.
    Now if you choose <Default> preset, or Reset Defaults, it uses the name of that preset instead of <Default>. It is like it overwrites the default preset, but does not remove the <Default> menu item.

10. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

so, concerning presets: how exactly does the bug manifest itself? what happens and what should happen? are there any debugging logs available (go to the kxdev.narod.ru site for debugging monitor utility) -- pls do not answer on the forums, send me an e-mail instead!
    --
    as for the second issue, yes, any newer presets are always parsed before 'built-in' presets, that's why 'default' is not shown if there's a custom preset with the same parameters

E.

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

townkat, are you going to send Eugene the info?

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

BTW: I do not know if you are going to send the info to Eugene or what, but here is what I noticed:

I do not think it effects the whole kX preset system like I had thought previously. I think that what I was noticing was the the issue with overwriting the <Default> preset (it only seemed to be having a problem when mixy was loaded, that is why I thought it had something to do with mixy, but I guess it was just coincendental, and I was overwriting the default preset only when mixy was loaded or something. I cannot completely explain it, but I just tried it again, and didn't have problems with presets in other plugins. Did you notice it effecting other plugins at all?).

That would leave the issue as being that it will not add saved presets to your plugins list of presets. It does save them to the registry, they just do not show up in the preset list at any time (neither right after saving them, nor when you first load the plugin). It has to do with the number of parameters that are being saved (and from your testing, it appears that the number is anything greater than 65 parameters). Also, I noticed no debug messages in debugview related to this issue.

13. townkat

townkat New Member

thnx Eugene,

Russ i just sended the info that i know about params limit to Eugene,
    i didnt send him debugging logs because i dont really know how to use that debug monitor
    (i am also some lazy about that)

cya

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Well, I did not see anything in the debug monitor anyway.

BTW: You did not answer my question as to whether or not you had noticed any issues with the presets in other plugins related to this issue. Again, I think what I noticed was related to the other issue, but because the circumstances were strange, I was wondering if you had noticed anything?

15. townkat

townkat New Member

pls be more explicit,

if u need to see whether the bug is caused by mixy u can reset kx settings and try to produce the bug (right click on kx icon, settings, reset global settings)

cya

16. MiTkO

MiTkO New Member

Mixy 12x2 (24-channel mono)

It will be nice to make Mixy 12x2 or 24-channel mono version!!! I do not know about other users but (8x2) 16 channels covering ONLY the external inputs for me.

Plea or request to townkat to make a bit more effort to make a version that will cover all the inputs?

Thanks in advance!

17. MiTkO

MiTkO New Member

Matrix audio router ?

Whot about functional matrix audio router for an example 24x12 or something like that?! Thus greatly simplify things, will not run 5 plugins ... I like RME Totalmix but you have to buy their hardware and I want that part to avoid, I'm not a PRO musician or so.

Imagine Mixy 24 channels input and 12 channels output ...how goods will look:duh:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013