Mobility x700 Radeon on x64

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by BaxBunny, Apr 18, 2006.

1. BaxBunny

BaxBunny New Member

Ok. I'm running on my acer ferrari 4000, and it has a x700 mobility radeon in it. I went to upgrade my drivers today, and it "crashes" my computer. What i mean by "crashes" is... i use the mobility modder, i dl the x64 6.4 catalyst version, i do the whole install, inf error, exit, run mobility modder, mod the recently dled/installed x64 6.4 cat driver. The driver installs, the CCC installs, i go to reboot the computer, and BAM!, right after the load screen where its like: Windows XP x64 Edition with the little blue bar that goes left to right left to right.. Right after that screen, the screen turns black, and nothing happens... I left it on for more than an hour just to see if it was just being "slow" nothing....

i tried lots things i've read around on forums including:

Driver cleaner: UNinstalled all the ati stuff, ran driver cleaner in safe mode etc... tried installing the driver again.. same thing

Updated my .NET, this MIGHT be the problem... i currently have 2 .NET's installed... one is... microsoft .NET 1.1 framework, which is updated to service pack 1, then i also have.. microsoft .NET framework 2.0 (x64), which i need for microsoft visual studio.

I tried the supershell, delete the "ATI Technologies" registry folder and reinstall drivers

none of the above worked.

All i want to do is upgrade my catalyst drivers to improve gaming. (just got oblivion)

Previously, i had ATI catalyst 5.12 drivers on my machine working pretty well. But after trying to install 6.4 i lost it all, so i'm back with the original drivers that come standard with the Acer, from the acer site. Theres no version they're just called like the "acer version of the drivers"

Thanks for your help!

2. SuperCoolAl

SuperCoolAl New Member

Try booting into Safe Mode then disabling Powerplay

3. BaxBunny

BaxBunny New Member

how does one go about disabling powerplay in safe mode ??? u cant open ccc, and display properties doesnt have powerplay....., i go into safe mode, then i restart, and i get the blank screen.. so i have to reboot and go "use most recent settings that worked" and i roll back, like drivers were never installed...

4. SuperCoolAl

SuperCoolAl New Member

If you're plugged into the mains and it still doesn't work then it's not a PowerPlay problem. If you aren't then try being plugged into the mains then disabling PowerPlay.

5. BaxBunny

BaxBunny New Member

plugged into mains? i dont know what that means but im guessing, plugged in to the power adaptor? Yes, when im at home, im always plugged into the power adaptor. I disabled power play, before i installed the new drivers and reboot, stil doesnt work :(

6. Blackboost

Blackboost -=[DHzer0point Author]=-

One funny thing I found the other day when I updated the ATi driver on my best friends laptop (which is the same one as yours) is that you don't really need the mobility modder to get the driver to work. You just have to force the driver via the device manager and bingo, the driver works perfectly. Even PowerPlay works nicely. It seems to me like ATi just "forgot" to have it identified natively on the driver pack. However it does work when forced thru the device manager.

7. BaxBunny

BaxBunny New Member

the 6.3 or 6.4 one? cuz im pretty sure i tried the 6.4 one it installed properly, but then hung at start up

8. SuperCoolAl

SuperCoolAl New Member

They didn't forget, they just don't officially support it so they don't allow it.

All the Mobility Modder does is add mobile chips to the list of allowed hardware for that driver.