Modded Cars

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by Transk53, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Before I start, I mean no offence by this. In the UK, there seems to be a fascination with putting those oversized exhausts on cars that have an average size of 1.3Liter engine. Now the question is, what difference does a hooj exhaust have on a small engined car. To me it just makes a lot of noise, can someone please enlighten me [​IMG] I don't drive at all.

2. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

You are no making any offense at all.... But i know where you are coming from...

As far as i know a Big Bore Exhaust may only add one or two BHP...As i see they only make the car sound like something with a bit of Grunt....But i guess some may forget about the air intakes also...

Then when the car comes into view its something like a Peugeot 106...You Hear it before you see it comes to mind.

I don't have any issues on modding cars at all,But in many ways it makes you wonder why..

MSN has a good Link for modded cars Here.

Some of these make you wonder why ?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Mostly it's done for the "noise" factor....... If modifications also include intake, fuel delivery improvements and internal engine changes, camshafts, larger valves, higher compression pistons, bore and stroke (larger engine size) then the free flowing exhaust would be necessary for the package. By itself loud exhaust really only adds the noise.....

4. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

It's just as pointless as "sticker tuning". Adding a TURBO sticker on the back or replacing the emblems with Ferrari ones doesn't make the car any cooler, it just makes it silly.

It's like people driving around in Porsche 924's. Some get impressed, those who know it's just an Audi with Porsche emblems doesn't.

Still, modding is quite big in most countries. I really don't understand why. I have no problem with tuning cars, not at all.. but for me it makes more sense to make a car hotter without making it look that different. But that's just me I guess! :)

5. Tyrsonswood

Looks and noise are two different topics, but while we are there....... I agree putting a turbo sticker on something that doesn't have a turbo is stupid or adding Porsche emblems to an Audi (do people actually do that ?) certainly doesn't make your car faster, adding a well placed decal of a product that you do have in your car would be a different story...... I get the impression that you don't think that is proper.....

6. Liqourice

Basically I'm a non-modification type of person but whatever people does it's of course their choise. I just think they're only fooling themselves.

I don't agree that it's different topics. Adding an exhaust that makes the car sound more without adding anything else is the same thing as adding a Turbo sticker on a non-turbo car. It's just for show and nothing else.

I'm not talking about making your car look nice. Repainting, adding stripes and such can actually make a dull car look nice. That's a different story though.

And no, people aren't adding Porsche emblems to Audis, at least not that I'm aware. My point was, the Porsche 924 IS/was an Audi in every aspect underneath.. Chassis, driveline, engine, gearbox... all of it. The body is a Porsche design and all emblems are Porsche.. but it's still an Audi.

7. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

was that the one with the van engine then ?? :confused:

8. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I read that earlier today. Freaking hysterical, some of them, especially the yellow car (you know which one I mean).

I agree with the OP - they make noise. I'd wager about 90% of people that have a big exhaust with no other mods did it to make it sound better. However, when you hear the lack of modifications (ie: squealing or the car sounds like it's doing a long, deep fart) you can't help but smirk (or point and laugh, depending on your preference).

9. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

The Scooby and the Cooper looked nice, but that yellow one, OMG. Why you would want to spend a few grand on some of those is beyond me. I guess though having an aftermarket pipe like I did on my LC, in this case two pipes, and even the single RD 125 on a mates bike. Atleast those had flowed Mikuni's. I know this has gone slightly oft, but the Fizzy boys put Microns and such like on a 50CC. Same difference really, but with the car, not having to wait 10 minutes before you saw them :D

10. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

it's just silly to me, all modding which makes the car noisier or look 'cooler', always makes the driver look silly imo.
    Even decals of parts that you got in the car, the only use it has is to let the outside world know how big your car-peen is. Except for racing or rally cars.. but then it's a whole different story as it actually does have a use.

I guess it's a bottomless pit uncountable number of people throw money into. You could as well burn it, at least it gives some warmth..

11. Tyrsonswood

Yet it's perfectly fine to dump ones money into a "killer gaming system" or the latest iGadget every year or so? :hmm:

12. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

I don't mind modifying cars, people do it because they don't have enough money to get a Porsche or a Ferrari, that's the whole point of modifying your car, if I had enough money and a nice car I wouldn't mind souping it up as long as it looked good to me at the end of it all. It makes sense though that not everyone is into modifying cars.

13. Neshi

no? Don't know where you got that idea. I think that's stupid as well, although it is understandable as more demanding games require more powerfull hardware.

With a car, you put on a wing (totally unnecesary as the car doesn't need the drag to keep to the road)
    air intake on bonnet (totally unnecesary as it won't go faster, unless you modify the engine as well)
    Noisy exhaust... wtf does this do other than annoy the other road-users?!
    I just think it's silly to do all these modifications just for visual appearances.

14. Tyrsonswood

Your first post reads as if any modification is a waste of money, your second post clarifies it a little bit. Wings, hood scoops (different than an intake BTW, an intake is an engine mod) and fart can mufflers are certainly useless. But not all "visual" modifications are only visual and modding a car with intent and forethought is not a useless waste of money and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with "car-peen" ......... Although many of the 4 wheel drive trucks around here have me thinking the guy is lacking elsewhere......

15. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Yeah, that would pretty much be the case over here, however some of the modded car owners are not peeing through a pube. I guess the same modding ethos could be applied to some peeps who have to have the latest and greatest GPU etc., just for the sake of it and for a couple of extra FPS's

16. Liqourice

This is how I think of it myself. Why add things that makes the car look faster when they actually rather makes it slower. It's one thing if they actually add to the performance of the car, then I can understand it.

Like adding lights underneath the car. I just don't get it. It's the same with light rods inside computer cases. I don't get that either, does people actually sit and look at their computer cases all the time?

Modding no, tuning yes.

To be honest, I get annoyed with people that remove decals as well. So what that you got the cheapest version, removing the decal so noone can see that won't make it the more expensive one! :p

17. Tyrsonswood

Actually I removed all of the factory emblems from my HHR and it's not because I got the cheap one, I didn't, short of the SS it's the top model..... it's cleaner looking that way, less clutter.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  18. Neshi

same, I removed the letters and stuff, because I like the clean look.

19. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

i too like the clean look
    that's why i picked a girlfriend who looks quite a lot like Odo from DS9 :)

[​IMG]

20. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

1. A wing is purely aesthetic and it indeed serves no purpose. even a factory wing is purely aesthetic. a wing will only prove a purpose if the car is designed to be a sports car, such as a Subaru WRX, Mazda RX8, Mitsubishi EVO XIII/IX/X, Mustang GT, Corvette, etc. Otherwise yes, I do agree that a wing is totally pointless.

2. An air intake, cold air or short ram, is considered an engine modification as they do add some HP numbers - typically between 5 to 15 depending on type and design.

3. A "noisy exhaust" is typically just the fart can purchased from eBay for under $100 to make the car look "cool". A cat-back system, which can go anywhere from $500 - $1,500, is a true performance exhaust system that directly bolts onto the existing hardware from the catalytic converter back - aka "cat-back". These do not give a car a "noisy exhaust" but rather a pleasant tune and an HP gain of 2HP - 8HP.

4. Some modifications are strictly for visual appearances. Some visual appearance modifications do have performance in mind as well. Such as getting a car lowered which improves handling performance and front spoiler which increases down-force on a vehicle which also increases handling performance due to increased traction.

+1 and :lol:

Same here! I removed the "Accord v6" emblem from the rear of my car only keeping the Honda "H" in the middle of the trunk.

pix or it ain't true! LMAO!!! :rofl: