Mods Tread Dangerous Legal Territory

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Danhill, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Intellectual Property disputes are a common cause of problems for developers in the entertainment industry in general, but usually the only concern is where money is involved. The odd situation with this particular Half-Life 2 mod is that the team was not creating it based on anything anybody paid for.

Read more: Filefront

2. kelston

kelston Active Member

Sad.

3DRealms trying to keep intellectual property rights on a franchise they haven't released anything on in over 8 years.

Looks like people will be waiting for Duke Nukem Forever... forever. And it also looks like we won't care when it comes out.

Wonder what keeps 3DRealms afloat when good game studios get disbanded (Black Isle, Interplay).

3. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Kronos, Father of Zeus

4. Danhill

Danhill New Member

It is sad indeed.

5. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

I have just lost any respect I ever had for John Carmack....(which was a good bit, until now)

6. XSwiftX

XSwiftX New Member

Just goes to show you how special Gabe Newell and Valve is to the gaming community.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i think john did miss most of the question. There hasn't been any legal issues with people either REbuilding or building from scratch a new engine, textures/models/sounds, you name it. Quake 1/doom 1 and 2..... man, their are alot of things out thier being rebult as we speak.

8. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

I know this is going against the thread, but I really don't blame these companies for using the code in their favor. They all paid a lot of money and time to create their property and get the intelectual property rights. Why should someone be able to copy them and give it away. The fact is, its theirs, a concept the 'digital community' has trouble grasping in the first place. Whether its a week, a month, or ten years old, its still their creation.
    It's kind of like if someone were to go and take a novel like, oh... Slaughter House Five.. retype it and change the font, and give it away. Or another example would be to take the album Revolver, remaster it, and give it to everyone. That would be wrong, wouldn't it? I think so. I think the community has to realize that just because its on the internet and someone else remade it, that doesn't make it right, or legal.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be able to play Duke Nukem on the HL2 engine or Doom 1 and 2 on the Doom 3 engine, I just think these companies and individuals have rights and they should be protected and respected.

9. blown503

blown503 New Member

Forget John Carmack. I would make it anyways. We are all rebels anyhow right? How would they stop you anyhow? Put it on p2p and the jobs done!

10. Dawnrazor

Dawnrazor New Member

They just don't want anyone getting a Duke 3D product out when they can't in over 8 years

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

well imo, as soon as a company makes thier SOURCE CODE available publically.... i think they pretty much made it free and that anyone could do anything they wanted with it.