More Than 1 Million Steam Users Now Have A VR Headset

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Calliers, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

That may not sound like a lot. But comparing it to other currently niche items on the Hardware Survey shows PC VR is off to a great start.

In April 2019, Valve reported Steam reaching 90 million monthly active users. If we assume that figure has now grown to roughly 100 million, we can estimate the number of Steam users with a VR headset as roughly 1.3 million.

More Steam users have a VR headset than an RTX 2080 Ti or than use Linux. At current growth, it shouldn’t be long before more Steam users use a VR headset than have a 4K primary monitor.

[​IMG]

2. Calliers

@MrCairo looks like people have indeed been using PSVR with PC.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've been using it.... simply get iVRy from steam.... plug in the psvr stuff, and you're good to go.

you can then mix in some vive or valve gear to get full body tracking.

the nice thing about psvr is it's 120hz...

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  4. Calliers

Yes, I do remember you mentioning that you use your PSVR headset with the PC sometime ago.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

In a few years when VR gets much better, I see myself never removing it .

6. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Ok just need to know if it will work with HL Alyx ...hitting the steam forums

7. Calliers

So what have you found out in your travels?

8. Mr Cairo

Not a lot TBH , I think I Just need to pick a day to pull it apart move it and try it all out ... Spend a while sorting all the cables behind my tv so its not pissing the wife off and now im reluctant to go messing with it all by pulling it apart :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Calliers likes this.
  9. Judas

all you need to hook up the PSVR is one hdmi cable, the power cable and the small box and headset.. you can leave the cable the runs to the "tv" alone since you don't need need that.

You cannot use a DP ~> HDMI adapter fyi, the psvr NEEDS to be plugged into an HDMI port on the graphics card otherwise in my experience, output information gets a little wonkey as the psvr itself seems to confuse the graphics output request and won't let you change it usually. It's immediately fixed when attached via hdmi. It also will only accept a RGB .. you cannot use Y chroma modes.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  10. Mr Cairo

Thats not so bad tbh I felt the back of the unit and just could not be arsed to move all the cables, just those 2 sounds ok

Ran steams VR test though and my GFX card failed it ... still nothing ventured.

11. Judas

i forgot the usb cable the runs from the box to the ps... that has to be plugged in sorry.

12. Mr Cairo

Not an issue I have plenty of spare USB ports ...not sure why I keep putting this off got nothing but time right now

13. Mr Cairo

So an update of this ... last week driving my son to work I mentioned this game and how much I have been waiting to play he asked what did I think would work and I mentioned that I had considering an Oculus Quest 2 in the future

Two parcels arrived this morning one for me and one for him .... he only went and bought me an oculus ...not sure what I did right bringing him up but im going to keep doing it :)

anyway spent the last couple of hours playing Alyx through Virtual desktop and steam VR and its blown away anything I have ever played on PSVR the screen door vision that the PSVR has is gone the immersion is just incredible and the Grabby Gloves are absolute genius , I also picked up Espire for the Oculus as I have played that on PSVR and it plays in a far superior way looks and control is immense

Battery life is poor though and the lack of inbuilt headphones is annoying but they are minor things so far I am well impressed

I didn't even mind the Facebook thing that much and hopefully tonight we play some game called Phasmaphobia that he wants to play in MP

Anyone that can though should play Alyx its amazing

IvanV likes this.
  14. clubrope

clubrope Active Member

Is it really that great? Cool

15. Mr Cairo

Yes it easily the best VR I have played and I ran through it 3 times back to back .. there are also dozes of Mods played a Bioshock and resident evil mod and they were extremely well done as well

IvanV likes this.
  16. Judas

I'm patiently waiting to replace my PSVR. The 120hz of PSVR is the one that drew me in initially, but at the time there wasn't much better options. Screen dooring is annoying no doubt, so i'm patiently waiting for 120hz with far greater FOV and higher resolutions too.

Quest 2 definitely looks appealing but i'm still on the fence, specially in regards to anything from oculus. I'm more inclined to look at HTC or Valve's offerings, and personally i'm A-OK with a wire attached, as all i've done with my PSVR is basically setup the box again the ceiling, then ran the cables through an eyelet directly over head and then setup an outer cable sleeve with a spring so that the cable wants to retract and keep taunt rather than just sag, this allows me to spin around effortlessly without any cables dangling, plus the headset feels light as a feather since the cable kind "pulls" up on it, and if i duck, lean over or move around, i've got about 4-5 ft of free movement. Wireless always sounds perfect but i just don't trust it considering how easily it's fucked up.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  17. Mr Cairo

I would agree on al that especially the PSVR screen dooring and TBH i was never a fan of the Oculus/facebook thing but I wont lie setup was a breeze and virtual desktop to play my Steam games is super simple and works really well over wifi

The controllers are hugely intuitive and being cable free is a bonus the downside is a short 3 hour battery life if you run the headset cable free

having all the sensors built works really well

The game library is expanding each day and I cannot thank my lad enough its taken my VR to a whole new level

The new PSVR headset rumours though make it sound like that will be a winner and I love the new controller design the Move is an incredibly basic controller

a month ago i would have said DONT get an Oculus now I cannot recommend it enough