Motherboard dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Louiemaster, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Louiemaster

Louiemaster Masto Commando

I was installing new drivers for my gfx card and upon restart I got a bsod after the windows loading screen. Tried getting into safe mode, same thing happened. Says something along the lines of "A thread or process crucial to system operation has been unexpectedly exited or terminated". I HAD been getting blue screens while booting up my computer before but sporadically.

Anyway, used vista recovery console to run chkdsk, check files, and everything came out fine. I do however get blue screens sometimes with this as well?? Random ones as well. driver irql less than or equal, a pfn list corrupt one once, but mostly just ones with only a code at the end.

Put in another cpu, another vid card, swapped out ram and psu, and still nada.

Connected an external hd and installed xp on it (running vista on my setup), multiple blue screens when transferring files (took like 5 tries before it could make it all the way through) and then another blue screen at the loading screen.

Seems like the motherboard is the problem (as far as I can tell). Just looking for some suggestions on a fix (besides replacing) or maybe some suggestions on other things to test + methods.

2. roadrunner17

roadrunner17 New Member

Since you've changed everything except the MB that seems likely the problem.
    Just one thing- did you disconnect your primary HD when you tried to install XP on the external drive? A HD that is going out can give allot of problems in anything you're trying to do even if it's not the drive being used at the time.
    If that is not the problem then try changing the Bios in your MB- update to the latest Bios or go back to an earlier one if the latest is already installed. Many times a corrupt or damaged Bios will also give problems that cause people to replace a MB needlessly.

3. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

The only two things I can think of are:

1. the motherboard is going out. Since you've basically tested everything and nothing seems to correct the issue.

2. like roadrunner said it could also be the primary HDD or some HDD in your setup. Try disconnecting all HDDs save for the one drive that you are going to use to test the system. If that works then its just a matter of finding the bad drive. I have had about 5 systems that i have serviced over the year that have had this issue. Basically, the HDD that is going bad will cause the BSODs and they won't make any sense because usually they are different every time and they generally happen right before windows boot up or shortly after you hit the desktop. The bad drive will also cause a perfectly stable computer to BSOD at times so if you isolate a drive that you believe is causing the problem trying putting it into another computer (if you have one on hand) and see if it BSODs.

4. Louiemaster

I tried my setup with another motherboard and the same problem came up :/.

This time it seems like it only has the "A thread or process crucial to system operation has been terminated" BSOD at bootup now. Still can't get into safe mode. Any chance a virus could be doing this?

5. caqde

caqde Active Member

Test your Hard Drives.. I just went through this with my parents computer. Went through a bunch of trouble only to find that the Secondary drive was the issue. (ran a copy from Secondary to Primary problem cropped up, did anything else on the main drive and it was fine, had Winamp search for music on Secondary again problem)... What a pain.. It also caused lockups on boot (isn't boot drive), and kept the computer from shutting off at times.

A few things to note, basic controller drivers for the IDE/Sata Controllers will often keep the problem from cropping up as often as the drive isn't running at its full speed, and I have always found the best way to find a problem is by isolating it as much as possible. (clean install of windows,MB/w only CPU, RAM, VC, one or no HD, and One Optical drive, using a DVD boot disk if possible etc.) Anyways good luck on finding the issue.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  6. Louiemaster

Only have one hard drive running on this setup right now. I installed a fresh copy of XP on an external; it installed fine but I get a 0x0000007B BSOD upon restart (cannot enter xp setup).

Anyway to summarize the symptoms:
    Booting Windows up normally ends up in 0x000000F4 BSOD
    Booting Windows in safe mode ends in 0x0000007B BSOD
    Booting a fresh copy of XP off an external ends in 0x0000007B BSOD.

Any chance a faulty connector somewhere could be the problem?

7. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Have you been using the same cables for all of these installs? If so, try using new cables. Sometimes a bad cble can cause a lot of issues.

8. roadrunner17

roadrunner17 New Member

OMG- If that's it what a torment the guy went through for something so simple-

But after changing everything else, what's left?

9. Louiemaster

Just did a new startup repair off of vista's recovery disk with the new motherboard in place and it said:

Root cause found:
    A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting.
    Repair action: System files integrity check and repair.

Tried using sfc /scannow through command prompt but it says it failed to start?

This might all stem back from that original driver installation lol

10. Louiemaster

Alright, replaced the motherboard and reformatted my hard drive and everything seems alright. Apparently windows does not let you start an os off an external hard drive, that's why I was having problems before.

Still not sure what the problem was, whether it was a corrupt file or a dying motherboard or a combination of both.

Thanks for all the help.