Motherboard effed. now what? I could use some help

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Geminiwave, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

So after some advice from some DH members earlier I have determined that the caps on my motherboard have blown. it is really subtle but a few are bent to the side and a few more have bulges on top.

anyway here is the problem. it is socket 939. I cannot find a place that ACTUALLY has a socket 939 motherboard except for buy.com. so the problem is that if I don't get socket 939 I have to get a whole new set of ram and a new processor.

what do I do? I don't think processors have gotten that much faster since I have my opteron. it gets well over 3ghz.

Is this a bad plan though? I'm not sure if I should be spending the cash to do an upgrade now or not.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Well, it depends on what you use your system for...

Have you tried Amazon?

3. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

4. Syndicate2083

Syndicate2083 New Member

Not sure what kind of budget your working with, or what your current system looks like.. you may want to just bite the bullet and do a minimal upgrade now to a newer chipset.

Maybe something like..

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - ASUS M2N68-AM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

just fire the imagination anyway. you may not want that option at all, and prefer to just find a 939 board. Either way, those are some of the prices you'd likely run into if you chose to upgrade.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

there are quite a number of places that still have 939... even i can get socket A boards yet.....

ebay is a good start.. and actually some of those are there AREN'T used but are dead stock...