Motherboard recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Ralph_Machio, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Ralph_Machio

Ralph_Machio Like Sleeve of Wizard

Hi,

I'm looking for the best mobo I can find for an AMD Phenom II X4 black or X6 Black, both socket AM3.

I have a Corsair H80, 240gb OCZ Agility SATA III, WD Caviar Black SATA II, and a Corsair 600T case. I haven't chosen a vid card yet (was planing on possibly a GTX 500 card). I'd like to be able to easily OC and run 16gb of memory.

I would be primarily using this for Audio/Video editing and gaming.

I've read a bunch of mixed reviews on several mobos out there right now but would like to hear from you guys.

2. steves6403

steves6403 Active Member

i have an asrock880-le (is a good budget solition)i,m very happy with it maybe worth a look

PS ive had gigbyte and asus and had problems but the asrock no probs at all

3. caqde

caqde Active Member

I like the M5A97 or M5A99X EVO both Asus boards the M5A97 is a 970 based board that I used to build my brothers computer it has an EFI based BIOS but has no SLI or Crossfire support. The M5A99X is almost the same as the M5A97 but has 8x/8x SLI/Crossfire support and two SATA II ports along with the standard 6 SATA III ports but it costs $50 more.

If you want the best overclocking boards consensus seems to be either the Asus Crosshair V or Sabertooth boards as they are 8 layer boards versus 6 of most other boards. These boards might net you an extra ~200Mhz+ depending on the CPU and Memory you have, but as always with OCing your mileage may vary.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I agree with caqde's choices. Both are rock solid boards, and I've had no complaints from clients that have bought them.

One thing you didn't mention was what your audio preference was. Does the onboard audio need to be decent, or are you going with a 3rd party/standalone card? The 2 boards mentioned by caqde both use Realtek HD chips, very good in fact, but if you look elsewhere this is something you need to watch out for. The mainstay for most manufacturers are either VIA HD or Realtek HD (sometimes evem Conexant, mostly on cheaper boards), and I would stay as far away from VIA (and Conexant) as possible. It might be good for movies and general audio, but everything else sucks on it. If, however, it's the opposite, and you're planning on using an add-in card, then you've got more board choices.

5. Ralph_Machio

Ralph_Machio Like Sleeve of Wizard

Thanks guys,

Audio isn't a concern right now. And I did want the possibility of SLI or Crossfire. I was checking out the Sabertooth and the Crosshair. The Sabertooth seemed to get more positive reviews, so I may try my luck on that. Thanks for your help.

6. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

CH or Saber... cant go wrong with either really.

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I would go with the Crosshair over the Sabertooth. The latter is more for stability, while the Crosshair is the overclocker.