moving from a gf3 ti200 to a radeon9500 pro...

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by SafirXP, Jul 1, 2003.

1. SafirXP

SafirXP New Member

i'll be buying it in a couple of weeks maximum! so trying to build up my expectations... hopes... :drool:

so what can i expect? i basically want to play games at 1024x768 or 1152x864 resolution with at least 2xFSAA & 2xAniso. That'd be possible right? Or can i even go higher. I'll be playing mainly FPS & RTS games.

will there be any difference in Windows performance or quality? btw, any speed up in applying Photoshop filter effects?

it all depends on what prices i find.. as i live in bangladesh.. :S very little options here. i'll probably have to choose from a GF4 Ti4200 8X, GF4 Ti4800, Radeon 9500 PRO or a Radeon 9600 PRO. If the Radeon 9500 PRO is over my budget which one of those should I go for the 9600?

2. Dom

Dom New Member

1024x768/2xFSAA/2xAniso should work perfectly.

None noticeable with Windows, but Photoshop should work faster.

I wouldn't settle for anything lower than a 9500P, including a 9600.

3. toddsmack2k

toddsmack2k It Never.....

No matter your budget I would stay with the ATi products. Go either for a 9500 non pro and mod it to a 9700 pro. Or go with the 9500 pro or 9600 pro. All of them would give you a much better FPS and awesome Image Quality. Your expectations will be easily met with any of these choices. By the way what is your budget? If you decide to go ATI make sure you remove anything nividia, your best bet wil be to use spike's Drivercleaner here and maybe a fresh windows install.

4. SafirXP

SafirXP New Member

oh, forgot to ask something! the latest divx player says its ati radeon optimized.. so it'll just lower the cpu usage or somethin?

i'll do a fresh windows install obviously! hell, i reinstall windows once every month! :)

my budget in US currency would be around 250 max! i'm saving up to add a 512MB DDR333/400 stick to my Abit AT7-Max2 board (already got two 256MB sticks, so would there be any compatiblity issues?)

5. toddsmack2k

toddsmack2k It Never.....

IMO it would mean that playback is smoother and better with Radeons. Image Quality is better also.

6. tek

tek New Member

I have a Built By ATI 9500 PRO $180US (catalyst3.5, removed shim, as3, flashed to 9700pro -- I run 4xAA/8xAF 24/7 (I usually do 16xAF but I'm doing some testing right now). Games run smooth as a babies ass, 100fps for CS, 100-180FPS in SOFII (everything at HIGH), Vice City is a dream come true for this video card - everything is so beautiful.

I suggest the Sapphire 9500 Nonpro (you do a mod to make it a 9500pro) - wish I knew how to do this back when I bought my 9500pro, I would've went for the nonpro 3.0infineon ram and I woulda softmoded/flashed it.

Good luck :cool:

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Heh-heh-heh-heh-heh...you're brain will EXPLODE!

I'm not kidding, you're going to blow your cerebellum the day you install it and start playing around with it! :D

See, I know....I made the jump from a vanilla GF3 (well, a 240/530 vanilla GF3 ;) ) to a 9500 Pro and it made my brain pop. It was the one that ATi was kind enough to lend me that I never reviewed, (Again, me apologies and a very sincere "I'm still sorry!" to Z over that one), and it absolutely astonished me! :eek:

I was playing Unreal2 when it came, and it blew my mind that Bubbles (see sig) was able to run it at 4xaa 8xaf SMOOTH! :eek: Not only that, EVERYTHING was able to run like that for me....and the image quality is literally breath-taking the first time you experience it. I swear I was just sitting there saying to myself over and over, "It's like a painting, a bloody moving PAINTING!" because the AA & AF help out SO much in the over-all image quality/immersion factor.

A truly magnificent piece of engineering, truly. :)

I'd advise you to get the 9500 Pro as it's definately the best of what you have listed, unless you're feeling lucky and want to try and make a 9500 NP into a Pro...but do NOT count on it working as there is a good possibility that it won't. :(

If you can't get the 9500 Pro, I've been hearing pretty good things about the 9600 Pro.

My best advice would be to see if you could possibly find a 9700 NON-pro as they're almost the same price as the 9500 Pro if you can find them, but they're pretty easy to turn into a 9700 Pro with just a bit of overclocking. (Plus even if it can't quite hit 9700 Pro speeds, it'll at least come damned close...it's not quite the hit or miss that the 9500 non-pro is. ;) )

8. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

I say you will be happy as a pig in poo, when ya get the 9500Pro. I switched over from a GF4 Ti 4200 and have not regretted it for a second.

9. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

hahaaahaa~LOL.....me too.......used to be an Nvidiot.......this is my first Radeon.....just cant believe how good it is, especially in IQ...

10. Kill-O-Byte

Kill-O-Byte New Member

I upgraded my geforce 2ti to a Built by 9500pro about 3 months ago (my first ati card also) and man, nothing comes close to the IQ. :drool:

I thought (with my old card) the options for AA/AF were there for taunting people cause you sure the hell couldn't turn them on and expect to play any games. Now I run most games with 4aa/8af (UT2003, MOHAA, ViceCity, Mafia). What a difference. I need to sell this card and get a geforce mx or some thing. I keep getting fraged online for stopping to smell the IQ.:w00t: