Mozilla Firefox 17 issues

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Tipstaff, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Has anyone else had troubles with Firefox 17.0 deleting cookies or other saved things?

Ever since yesterday, sometime after updating to 17, I've noticed that just about all my auto saved stuff, such as auto log-ins for HH, IGN, DeviantART, Amazon, and so fourth was almost all gone, although my saved passwords is still there, plus all the cookies for the sites are still there too, just that most don't work. Some still do though, like Facebook auto fills my email but not my password, and Gmail still works. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Last time was, I think, with version 15.

I'm inclined to think it's a cookie issue. I don't know if all of a sudden Firefox treated all my cookies as session cookies, and deleted them all after I closed Firefox, or that they got corrupted, or Firefox thought they were no longer valid, and decided to start new ones. Or the cookies.sqlite file got effed up, and it started a new one.... I don't effing know. The good news is that once I put things back in, it stays there, but it's still effing annoying as hell.

Anyone know of a way, other than making a backup, so save this stuff? Maybe a plug-in or utility that can backup this stuff for me after each session?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Tipstaff

I figured out what happened, but still at a loss as to why it happened, or how to prevent this from re-occuring.

I updated Firefox to version 17 on the 23rd sometime around 3am. At around midnight on the 24th Firefox backed up my original cookies.sqlite, rebuilt it, and created a new one. It also re-created my sessionstore.js file. Took me a while to find the backup of the cookie file because for some reason it wasn't in the main profiles folder. The other thing is that I have 2 Mozilla Firefox folders in my Program Files (x86) folder: Mozilla Firefox, and Mozilla Firefox.bak with a time/date stamp of exactly when I updated Firefox to version 17.

So, I was able to get my old file back, but I'm still looking for suggestions or thoughts on this.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I simply did the update to FF 17.0 and haven't had any issues with cookies being deleted. Nor have the forums I automatically log into been any problem.

I don't save passwords but for a very, very few limited situations.

So, I wouldn't know where to begin pointing you for your issue.

4. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

same as Dyre no problems with 17 here

5. Tipstaff

It did it again.

I just got home, booted up Firefox, and again my cookies file is reset. I was just about to buy the contents of my "cart" from NCIX, but couldn't because it's empty. I go onto HH, and I have to login. Goto Amazon, same thing. Sure enough in my profile folder both my sessionstore.js file has been rebuilt, and my cookies.sqlite file has been backed up, and rebuilt. This is getting ridiculous.

Is there a limit to the size of the cookies.sqlite file? Mine normally sits at about 2,048mb, and the rebuilt is 512kb, so I'm wondering if the size is crashing FF.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  6. Dyre Straits

My cookies.sqlite file presently sits at 512 kb, too. Created just 5 min. ago.

7. Tipstaff

I take it you have it clean out whenever you close FF? Or that you run in Privacy Mode?

8. Dyre Straits

Actually, no. I've never gone into the settings to enable that.

I just did go in to see what options are available and it looks like I'm set to manually delete cookies and history.

I just checked again and the file is still at 512 kb.

9. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Not sure if me chipping in helps you but again like Dyre i dont run in privacy mode or clear my cookies and have no issues with the login ...

you running AVG by any chance ??

10. Dyre Straits

On a totally different matter...but related to FF 17:

I was checking for images online for my video capture card and, upon clicking on one image, I got what appears to have been a forced FF 17 SP2 Update....that did NOT want me to close it down!

I force closed it and MSE went into a tizzy. Immediate scan produced some unknown "trojan" files that it was able to quarantine and allow me to delete.

AFAIK, there's not an update to FF at this time. I checked manually for one and don't see any.

So, just be on the alert in case it happens

11. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Tipstaff, why not just change over to Waterfox? I've never heard of anyone having problems like this on Waterfox. And MIG claims Waterfox saves his facebook passwords correctly.

12. Tipstaff

I was using both. For Waterfox I used a completely different profile so as to not conflict with Firefox's (or so that neither would affect the other), but I never used it for important things, however I've switched over to it completely now though. So far the cookies.sqlite file is still 2,048kb, and it's been a couple days now, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've tried to shrink it by clearing out old cookies, but it just won't budge. Also, someone mentioned there is a utility to rebuild the file, but I can't seem to find it

Thing is that Waterfox does have issues, in particular Adobe Flash has crashed for me on a few Youtube videos, and Flash videos on a couple review sites. Very common issue it seems. Not a big deal as simply reloading the page seems to fix it sometimes, or I switch over to IE, and it's fine... just annoying.

13. Tipstaff

ignore... damn Internet decided to flake out, and it posted the same thing 3 times.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  14. Tipstaff

15. Dyre Straits

I got an automatic update to FireFox earlier and it's causing problems. It seems the problem is related...once again...to Flash animations on a page. The more there are, the worse it gets.

Scrolling up or down is very choppy.

I did a quick test with IE and there's no choppiness involved at all.

So, since Tipstaff already posted about Firefox 17 Issues, I'll just add this to it. The version I have is: 17.0.1

16. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Interesting.. considering that when i got windows 8 installed.... Flash was repeatedly crashing on me with IE10 initially.. and waterfox was my browser that i used to watch or view flash stuff..

Still do... it has never crashed on me yet with waterfox.

Kinda pisses me off that microsoft changed the silverlight webpage so that you only get the 32bit download... you have to go through rather rediculious procedure to track down and install the 64bit version of it.

Why do all these companies want to kill 64bit?

17. Dyre Straits

I've done nothing special and haven't even spent anytime looking for a Silverlight update.... This is what I have right now...

[​IMG]

18. Judas

by default silverlight downloads the 5-6mb 32bit file only.... on every install i've had to go diving around and trying to avoid the automatic installer to get 64bit (which is about 12mb in size)

19. Dyre Straits

I don't allow anything to automatically install updates. So, whenever possible, I select the "notify me ... and let me choose..." option.

As I said, where Silverlight is concerned, I haven't even done anything on my end for ages now. And, I do have the 64-bit version installed.

If you need a download option, try the FileHippo site.

20. Judas

No i don't do the automatic..

you go to the silver.net page... you go to download/GET silverlight.. and it proceeds to give you a 6mb file to download and run at your own whim...

Which isn't the right file... the file should be 12mb