MPG X750 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi - No Post Issue

Discussion in 'MSI UK Forum' started by John3869, Aug 2, 2020.

1. John3869

John3869 New Member

Replaced my old motherboard with the MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi - No Post Issue.

All seemed to be going well until I hit the power button.

Here is the issue. Everything powers up no problem but I get no pot at all.

EZ Debug LED's show no issue, but here is the kicker, it shows no issue despite there being no GPU plugged in.

I have stripped the motherboard back to its bare minimum, shorted out the JBAT1, removed the CMOS battery then performed a BIOS flashback without CPU or DDR4 fitted. All went as it should do.

EZ LED for CPU active after restart, which you would expect as there is no CPU in.

Installed CPU with no RAM, CPU and RAM EZ LED now active, as you would expect.

Installed CPU with RAM in A2, CPU EZ LED is light for a brief second, then all then all the other EZ LED's ripple and then go out. Not what was expected as I had expected the LED for the GPU to stay on, but no, it goes off.

This is the condition I am left in, I get no error at all on the EZ LED's regardless if the GPU is fitted or not.

GPU works fine in old PC.

Current build is:
    • MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi (AMD Socket AM4)
    • AMD Ryzon 5 3600X - No graphics capability
    • Corsair DDR4 CMK16GX4M2d3000C16 (2 x 8G)
    • Corsair RM650 PSU
    If anyone out there can help, give some advice, anything at all I would be very grateful as I am pulling my hair out!

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

There are 2 things that I would look at to start with:

- Check that there are no bent pins on the CPU.
    - Even though the recommend installation for RAM is to put a single stick into A2, or for dual channel A2 and B2, try putting a single stick of RAM in slot A1, B1, or B2. My guess is that the board will post with a single stick in slot B1 or B2, but not A1 or A2.

There is one thing I should mention, and that is that I've found MSI Carbon boards to be a bit finicky. The B450 Carbon drove people crazy, and I've seen the same thing with both the B550 and B570 Carbon boards. So, while some sites list your RAM as being supported by the board (such as Pangoly's site HERE) MSI's site doesn't, or at least not that specific model as far as I can see. This is why I'm suggesting trying a single stick in one of the other 3 slots. Most likely (if it follows the B450 Carbon) you might find that you can run RAM in single channel mode in slots B1 and B2 work, but not dual channel using A1/B1 or A2/B2.

3. John3869

John3869 New Member

Thanks Tipstaff

I have checked the CPU using a magnifying glass, no bent pins.

Single stick of RAM put into B1, no improvement, same for B2.

Starting to regret the upgrade!

4. John3869

John3869 New Member

I have taken a video of the EZ LED's and what they do.

5. Tipstaff

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the X570, I thought you had to plug the secondary CPU power connector? Or is that only if you are running the top end CPU? I ask as the video only shows the primary CPU power connected.

upload_2020-8-3_12-17-31.png

If, after hooking up that CPU_PWR2 connector, it still doesn't boot, try putting in the video card, and make sure to hook it up to a monitor (don't leave it disconnected).

Edit: btw, it might be worth investing in a very cheap PC mainboard speaker similar to this:

[​IMG]

By hooking this up to JFP2 on the mainboard you will be able to hear any error codes the motherboard might be giving off. You can get them pretty cheap (you can even DUI one from a old pair of headphones), or check your old computer for one.

Edit 2: Hmm... seems you don't absolutely need the CPU_PWR2 hooked up, but I see conflicting reports. A lot of people say no, but this is prior to Ryzen 3000 series. One person mentioned that his system wasn't stable with his Ryzen 3600 until he hooked up the CPU_PWR2.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  6. John3869

John3869 New Member

Hi Tipstaff

I also found the same conflicting info. I have had the secondary power connected and disconnected and still the same issue.

I have also had the graphics card in and connected to a PC monitor and also tried it on the TV for good measure, still no joy.

Will order a cheap PC speaker tonight as that is a good thing to have in the arsenal.

Cheers JC

7. Tipstaff

The thing that bothers me is that the CPU led on the EZ panel is lit, then goes off. RAM led never comes on, which is fine as you have RAM installed, but the GPU led is off too. That should be lit in the video you posted as the GPU isn't installed, but it's not lit. So, either the board isn't working, or the CPU isn't. So, let's go back a bit. Let's reflash the mobo:

To rule out the board, let's consider that the bios flash didn't work properly. You could try re-flashing the board again, maybe with a bios version below the one you tried, or the latest (if you hadn't used that one). But, follow this procedure (I'm going to list this as if you hadn't done this before, so bare with me):

- leave the CPU, 1 stick or RAM in A2, and the GPU installed (make sure it's hooked up to a monitor)
    - download the latest, or 2nd latest bios from MSI's site (so either 7B93v17 or 7B93v16.. you could even go back as far as 7B93v10, the first bios), and rename it as MSI.ROM.
    - copy this ROM file to a FAT32 formatted USB drive, and plug that into the first USB port in line with the old style keyboard connector (or specifically, the furthest USB port away from the connector)
    - press in the bios flashback button on the back of the board above the USB port that has the flash drive in it, let go, wait 5 seconds, and the system should come on. If I recall there should be a little LED light come on near the flashback button (between the button the USB port). It should stay lit/flash when you flash the bios, and once the board is flashed it should go out. I don't recall if anything will show up on the monitor though.

Outside of that I can't think of other things to try besides replacing the CPU or motherboard, or finding a mom and pop shop that might have an older CPU supported by the board to rule out the CPU as the issue (if it works with the old CPU it's most likely the board). If it works with the older CPU I'd take the opportunity to flash the bios, and swap to the new CPU).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  8. John3869

John3869 New Member

Thank you, I am going to do a full strip, CMOS clear, BIOS Update and rebuilt step by step, will post results.

9. John3869

John3869 New Member

So here goes, this is what I have been up to:

Computer Rebuild Diagnostics Report
    1. Removed all connections from motherboard
    2. Removed motherboard from case and placed on anti-static surface 3. Updated BIOS
    → Plugged in 24-pin ATX power
    → Downloaded BIOS file
    → Moved BIOS file to root of USB with name “MSI.ROM” → Plugged USB into motherboard
    → Switched PSU on (CPU error present)
    → Pressed “flash bios” button
    → Red light flashed for approx. 5 mins → System rebooted
    → Solid red light for approx. 1 min
    → Red light turned off
    → Switched PSU off → Removed USB
    4. Checked CPU for damage/dirt
    → Small smudges of thermal paste around the edge with none on the pins
    → No pins bent/deformed 5. Installed CPU
    → Lifted CPU socket lever
    → Gently dropped CPU into position ensuring triangles lined up
    → Pushed CPU socket lever down until click was heard
    → Applied thermal paste
    → Mounted CPU cooler
    → Plugged in 8-pin CPU power
    → Attached case panel connector to FPANEL header to enable use of power button
    6. Switched PSU on and pressed power button
    → CPU & RAM EZ debug LEDs lit up and stayed lit
    7. Shut system down
    → Held power button until motherboard shut down
    → Switched PSU off
    8. Installed one (new) stick of 8Gb DDR4 RAM in slot A2 9. Powered system up
    → CPU EZ debug LED lit for approx. 5 seconds → All other EZ debug LEDs flashed
    → No errors present

10. Shut system down 11. Added GPU
    → Cleaned PCIe connection on GPU
    → Installed in PCIe slot 1 (closest to the CPU) → Tested the HDMI cable
    → Plugged monitor into HDMI output of GPU
    12. Powered system up
    → No errors present
    → No POST on screen
    → Waited 30 seconds
    → No POST on screen at any point
    13. Shut system down
    14. Removed GPU
    15. Installed debug speaker
    → Attached speaker to JFP2 header → Removed RAM stick
    → Powered system up
    → Speaker gave 3 loud beeps
    → Shut system down
    → Reinstalled RAM stick
    16. Powered system up
    → No errors or beep codes present

After all of that, no change and still the same fault condition :(

10. Tipstaff

→ Speaker gave 3 loud beeps

Are they consistent? Repeating? Long or short?

Almost all of the above I asked about usually points to a memory error (although some manufactures can alter the beep codes for their own use, such as Dell use 3 beeps for mobo failure, or IBM uses it for keyboard or input device error). Problem is that it could be that the board doesn't recognize the RAM, the RAM is bad (which shouldn't be if you've tried multiple sticks), or the CPU is bad.

Now, you might be saying to yourself, "How does a bad CPU lead to a possible memory error?" In this case the memory controller is built into the CPU, not the motherboard.

So, here are the options I see:
    1) If the parts are new, and you can return / exchange them, do so. In particular, see if you exchange the CPU first, or you could even call AMD, and see if they can exchange it for you.
    2) For the motherboard, you could try calling MSI and get an RMA for the board too.

If it were me, I would try exchanging the CPU with the retailer. Make something up if they give you a hard time (say you tried the CPU on a working system, and it wouldn't work in it). They are in a better position to return something to AMD or MSI than you are (they'll just return/exchange the items with their resellers).

Good luck, and let us know how it works out. I'd really like to know which of the parts it ends up being the issue.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Calliers likes this.