MS Changes Windows 10 Activation to Allow Windows 7 8 Keys

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by IvanV, Oct 14, 2015.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Talking to the official Windows blog, Windows and Devices Group Vice President Gabe Aul has revealed an upcoming build of Windows 10 will let users register the platform using their existing Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 keys.

For now, MS is testing this feature in Windows Insider program (build 10565), but if all goes well, it is expected that the new activation scheme will come to the "regular" Windows 10 release.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

well that'll be nice and easier

3. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

I thought this was how it was supposed to be anyway, goddamit MS

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

no... they even STATED it in several places that this was NOT how it worked..

Microsoft outlined that in order to upgrade to windows 10.. you MUST upgrade from a genuine version of windows 7 or 8.x that is activated..... this must be done FIRST.... however ONCE the upgrade has completed and windows 10 has been able to activate... then installing windows 10 clean directly can be done without fairlure or issues, one simply only needs to skip the cd key parts (2 or even 3 times it may ask, once at the very beginning of the installation and again after completing the installation, sometimes twice is the system is connected to the internet and does any major critical updates which requires a reboot prior to getting to the desktop).

This new news however suggests that someone could take windows 10.... install it directly onto a new computer or an existing one that doesn't have a genuine copy of windows 7 or 8.x that is activated and never has, and simply punch in any not in use windows 7 or 8.x key. If this actually is indeed true, this would make the transition to windows 10 that much easier, as a person wouldn't be required to INSTALL windows 7/8.x entirely.. update it to meet the prerequisite (which for many people could take ages depending on bandwidth and speed of the machine). This would... at least for me, be able to skip countless hours of wasted time and power going through the process on machines that have been compromised heavily prior to windows 10 being installed/upgraded to. I've had to work on about 5 machines already in which the machine was heavily compromised or corrupted preventing windows 10 upgrade.... requiring me to wipe the drive, install windows 7/8.x .... updating it.... then proceeding with the windows 10 upgrade (IMO upgrades still suck, clean installed always are better), with this, i could have just wiped the drive, popped the windows 10 disk in, and installed it straight away.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

After a bit of time, I'm not 100% true whether this means
    1. you can install a fresh copy of Windows 10 and activate it with a Windows 7/8.1 key, without ever going through an upgrade, or
    2. you need to upgrade a copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10; on subsequent fresh installations of Windows 10, instead on relying on MS to recognize your PC and activate Windows automatically, which has been known to not always work, you enter your old Windows 7//8.1 key and you are good to go.
    I actually think that it is option 2., which isn't nearly as convenient as option 1., but is still a big improvement over the current scheme where you upgrade to Windows 10 and don't get a Windows 10 key of any sort.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like that it should work without going through the software upgrade, provided that Windows 7/8 had previously been activated on the same machine:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015