MSDOS.SYS tweaks(boot time)

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by shai, Jul 18, 2002.

1. shai

shai Banned

1) Open up the file with Notepad.
    2) Under the [Options] section add the following lines (or change the line if they are already there to the value indicated):

BootMulti=1
    BootGUI=1
    AutoScan=1
    Logo=0
    BootMenu=0
    BootMenuDefault=2
    DisableLog=1
    BootDelay=0
    DblSpace=0
    DrvSpace=0
    DoubleBuffer=2
    BootKeys=1
    BootWarn=1
    LoadTop=0
    BootSafe=0
    Network=1

2. shai

shai Banned

Details:

BootMulti- will allow you to press F4 during bootup to load the previous operationg system if equal to 1. I recommend enabling this (1) if you have multiple operating systems, otherwise, disable it (0).

BootGUI- will automatically startup thw WIndows GUI (Graphical User Interface) during bootup when enabled (1). If disabled (0), it'll just go to a dos prompt.

Autoscan- if enabled (1) it'll automatically run scandisk if your computer was shutdown improperly. Disabling this (0) will turn this off.

Logo- if enabled (1), it'll show the Windows startup logo and if disabled (0), it'll ditch this and just show the command prompt until Windows is loaded.

BootMenu- if enabled (1), it'll show the boot menu every time you startup your computer.

BootMenuDefault- err...I'll have to check on what this one does. :)

DisableLog- when enabled, it'll disable the bootup log, thus speeding things up a little bit. Sometimes difficult to diagnose problems if your having trouble booting up your computer however.

BootDelay- sets the boot delay, lower values result in less delay. So I recommend a value of 0.

DblSpace- enables/disables Double Space, a compression tool, you can't compress drives with FAT32, thus I recommend disabling it and speeding up bootup a little.

DrvSpace- enables/disables Drive Space, another compression tool which can't be used with FAT32 drives, thus I recommend disabling it and speeding up bootup a little.

DoubleBuffer- enables/disables double buffering. 0 is disable 1 is enabled for devices that need it (like SCSI controllers). And 2 is for controllers whether they need it or not...

BootKeys- enables/disables bootkeys. Like F8 for the boot menu and F5 for loading widnows in safemode.

LoadTop- tells whether the compression driver is loaded into high memory or low memory. High memory=0 and low memory=1.

BootSafe- forces your PC to boot into safemode if equal to 1. 0 is disabled.

Network- if you have a LAN, set this to 1. Otherwise, set this to 0.

Remember, 1 usually means true or on, and 0 usually means false or off. And 2 is usually the uncommon 3rd option. :)

After doing this, make sure there is no file in C:\ that is called something like..."msdos.sys_fixed". I think this is the name of the file, I'm not 100% sure however. If you find the file, either delete it, or move it to another directory.