MSI K8N Neo Platinum + SATA

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Fatality_, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Fatality_

Fatality_ New Member

I am going to buy that board but i have a SATA hard drive and i have heard that windows is unable to load up with the combination. Is this true? Are there any workarounds? The board looks great but this SATA prob is a real show stopper :dead:

2. WisMerHill

WisMerHill New Member

I think you might have messed up a few things you heard :p

SATA runs great in windows, what you mean is the following i think:
    WinXP doesn't have native SATA support, meaning it might not detect your SATA disks when trying to install windows. Luckily right at the beginning of the windows setup there's an option that comes in to view for a few seconds, it called:

Press F6 if you need to install additionall storage drivers (or something similar)

When using SATA disks you have push the F6 and insert a floppydisk with your sata drivers that came with your motherboard. If windowssetup reads the floppy it'll show you the drivers you can install, click those you want to install go to finished and windows setup will continue as normal but with sata support.

That's all there is to it.

3. Fatality_

Fatality_ New Member

as i said, i am using a sata hd now, but i have heard that the motherboard has problems with sata. :rolleyes:

4. WisMerHill

WisMerHill New Member

Ok, soz m8 think i understood you a bit :)

I asked a few users who have this mobo and while some do have problems (who doesn't) none have the problem you describe. I think it's a save bet to go with it. But you might wanna look at the : DFI LanParty UT NF3 250GB looks like a great board, better than the MSI.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2198&p=1

5. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

if you could give us a link, or copy/paste this information you read regarding a problem, we could better understand exactly what problem the board is supposed to have. and give you an answer accorsingly :)

6. dipstick

dipstick New Member

The only problem I could see you having is that all four ports run off the nVidia chipset which only supports raid arrays. At least thats what I have seen on their website(its the same as my Neo2).

7. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

yes...you have to load the raid drivers whether you run it as raid or single drives