multiple soundcards multiple outputs?

Discussion in 'ASIO' started by danpow, Jun 11, 2013.

1. danpow

danpow New Member

Hi,
    I am trying to us kx to 'combine' 2 sb0220 soundcards, hopefully giving me 12 analog outputs on the minijacks. It is for a multichannel sound installation - no live monitoring, just playback.

After playing with kx for a week now i can't seem to do it - i can route asio to the first cards outputs, but not the second.

Is it possible, or am i attempting something that can't be done?

I don't mind using wdm if necessary, or dx audio if i have to!

Any tips or pointers in the right direction would be very helpful!

thanks in advance,
    Dan

2. cooltouch

cooltouch New Member

I know this is a reply to an old message, but here are my thoughts on the matter:

Question: Are you unable to assign ASIO to the second card? If you are using ASIO4ALL, the control panel should show if both cards are active. If not, ASIO should generate some sort of error message, telling you what the problem is. There is also an ASIO forum that you might want to check out. Someone there may have an answer for you. I have never tried setting up two identical cards in ASIO, so I don't know what problems one might encounter when doing this. The fact that they are on two different bus slots, though, should be enough to distinguish them, or so it seems to me.

You might try another route also: Rather than trying to combine the two cards' OUTs such that the output is like from one large card, it seems to me that it might be easier for you if you ran your OUTs to a small mixer and then ran the mixer's OUTs to wherever they are needed.

3. dldall

dldall New Member

Îòâåò: Re: multiple soundcards, multiple outputs?

I did, with two "kx compatible" cards. The problem is that ASIO kx driver:
    a) has only one instance for all kx compatible cards installed in system;
    b) has no selectable "device" field for "ASIO control panel" (open the panel, you'll see 'text' field type for "device" instead of "combobox" as below or as for kxmixer/kxdsp to select particular card).
    So, you can send/get ASIO for first kx compatible card in hardware card list for some ASIO software, for SyFonOne for example.

ASIO4ALL is allow to select any card, but the card will be used as ordinary windows wave output, without kx driver and hardware acceleration.

Indeed, for static ASIO routes, one can try to switch off (in windows "device manager") first kx compatible card (that is reachable in normal mode) restart and link ASIO to remained card (was unreachable), after that, switch on the first one back and link second ASIO as usually. I did not test the solution.

PS 130714: There is new info.
    In oder to install more kx card in addition to already installed, you need to register kx ASIO driver again (for each new config):
    - close kx mixer (mouse right click KX tray icon, select exit menu)
    - open command line with administrator rights (see 64 bit OS problems ASIO for more details)
    - unregister: regsvr32 /u kxasio.dll (get window ОК)
    - register: regsvr32 kxasio.dll (get window ОК)
    - run kx mixer: kxmixer --startup (get tray KX icon back)

This is my example "kx_asio.reg":
    As i see, the statement "regsvr32 kxasio.dll" makes 8 entries in registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO" and "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{...}\InprocServer32" as if "for future possible use (8 kx compatible cards maximum)". Once installed just unused "kX ASIO Driver" entries are cleared. One can add correct "CLSID" and "Description" strings itself manually for each new card added.

Otherwise, end user ASIO software that gets list of available ASIO devices from [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO] registry do not see any new card added (SyFonOne, for example).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014