My Craziest Cooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by wolf2009, Jul 29, 2008.

1. wolf2009

wolf2009 New Member

I'm just starting out with building PC's so this is the craziest think i have ever done in the short I've built PC's .

This reduced load temps on the 7600GT from 80C to 72C

I didn't do this reduce the temps on the card, I couldn't care less about its temps. I wanted my HDD to stay cool and see what kind on temp drop I can get with these fans . HDD went from 37C to 32C .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

while i applaud your enthusiasm...

my gaud man... you are crazy..

imo it seems more of a mess... and i think the tape is likely to cause some drag lol.

i give it a A-

3. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

that's some good enthusiasm right there!

what about a whole picture of the insides?

and i don't think tape will hold for any long extended periods of time. although the duct tape will hold much longer than the masking tape for sure though.

also, if you were to mod your case to have a top exhaust fan, i'm sure that would also help out your overall cooling of your computer as well.

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Thread moved to proper parts of the forums.

5. psychlone

psychlone M3A32-MVP GURU

Case cooling is just as paramount to a successful overclock as is a good CPU HS/f assembly - most people miss this point and place the entire blame for high temps and unsuccessful overclocks entirely on the CPU's HS/f...but this is taking it to an extreme.

When you think of airflow, there *has* to be an unrestricted flow of cool air IN and an unrestricted flow of warm air OUT - you can have the front as exhaust and the rear as intake, or whatever, but the point here is that if you think of how a vortex looks (like a tornado) - then try to adapt that to the inside of your case, you'll have not only a much cleaner look, but with the unrestricted airflow throughout the case, you'll have better temperatures for ALL the components inside the case as well.

Currently, I have a CM Cosmos S case - this thing is HUGE and has a completely screened front (instead of solid plastic, it's got screen w/ dust filters all down the front)
    I have a 120mm Scythe S-Flex 64CFM fan on the rear pointing IN - right into my ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme (that also has 2 Scythe 120mm S-Flex fans on it, one on each side pointing DOWN) - then I have yet another 120mm Scythe on the top pointing IN (literally directly above the TRUE120's top fan supplying the HS/f assembly with even more fresh, cool air) - and the last 2 Scythe 120mm fans are on the front of the case pointing OUT - drawing all that air out the front, across my 6 500GB HDDs and out into the room)

Now, you'd think that this is the MOST inefficient way to set this system up, but I tested with EVERY possibly combination that could be had, turning fans backwards one at a time, stress testing, etc. until I came up with the perfect setup for my case...point is, don't just leave your fans where the manufacturer puts them, or leave them where your buddies fans are, do some testing
    and find for yourself what the best setup is for you, BUT keep it clean and remember airflow!

Currently, with my setup, my CPU running at 3.5GHz, I have the following temps (according to CoreTemp, Everest)
    CPU: 34*C (full load never higher than 52*C)
    GPU: 52*C (full load never higher than 71*C) - this is stock ATi HD2900XT cooling
    All 6 WD 500GB SATA2 HDDS: 31-33*C (variance in temperatures depending on which one is being utilized - never higher than 33*C - EVER)

My system is on 24/7 with those temps - it's not nearly as loud as you'd think, and it really is well thought through...

Just my suggestions, you can most certainly do what you'd like, but do remember that just a *little* positive pressure inside the case (more CFM coming IN than going out) is always better than any negative pressure...

Psychlone

Calliers likes this.
  6. Judas

excellent psychlone..

i found out some interesting things about the Cosmos cases.... i had flip around the fans at one point and saw a improvement in temps..

but it's quite confusing to know that theres hot air moving out the front lol

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

since you had the fan in that direction by yourself lol, what the confusion is?

8. Judas

well it's not so much as confusing..

just abnormal..

sorry i used the wrong word...

9. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

This is interesting. I have a Cosmos 1000 and have been having horrid problems with HDD temperatures. I may be giving this a try although I have not been very pleased with how isolated the HDDs are in this case so I may just get a Cosmos S

10. Judas

you've been having hd related heating problems?

even with 6x seagate barracuda's.... my seagate diagnostic always reported averages of 40-50ish

11. procupine14

yeah a lot of issues actually. I have been having problems with my HDDs climbing into the upper 50s low 60s :uhoh: luckily i was paying attention

I only have three HDDs too so i don't know what the problem is
    :confused:

In addition I have a fan just laying in my case to maintain 40s and 50s over the HDDs

12. Judas

wow..

what's your abient temp..
    even running close to the 35*C range abient.... they never seem to hit 50*C..

13. procupine14

the ambient room temp at the bottom air intake is 23C

we keep it pretty cool in the apt because of the computers etc (they tend to heat up the place quickly if we don't)

yeah thats my issue. Now that I have a fan pulling air out at the top of the hdd rack I have respectable temps however if i take that fan away my HDD temps quickly climb and become hot to the touch

so i guess the fan stays

14. CDsDontBurn

i don't even know what my HDD temps are. what tools/proggies are out there to tell me this info?

i have a WD raptor and two seagates.

15. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I think even Everest shows hdd temps..

16. CDsDontBurn

but everest isn't free anymore. neither is SiSoft Sandra :(

17. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

whoooh!! I reached a thousand posts!! I'm great :)

what about that hdd test program, hddprobe or something.. to test the write and read speed of your hdd's. Didn't that program show the temperature as well?

18. Sandok

Sandok New Member

REALLY?! Damn since when?

19. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

I use PC Wizard, that displays temps for HDDs, CPU and GPU and it has some benchmarking utilities built into it but they aren't very thorough. That's free as far as i know

20. Judas

your HD's DOS or windows diagnostics software will usually pull up the temperatures.. being current and maximum temps reached.