My god I think I've fixed it !

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by IEMC, Feb 1, 2008.

1. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

As some of you may or may not know, I had this freezing issue for the longest time with my ~10 month old build, as seen here: http://www.driverheaven.net/hardware-discussion-support/152765-back-freezing-question.html

I tried everything: New graphics card, new hard drive, tested memory, more fans, new PSU, etc. All but the motherboard was changed.

Luckily it didn't cost me much, most replacements were either gifts from Christmas, the graphics card was RMA'd due to a bad fan anyways, and the PSU cost me 10 bucks after a mail in rebate (best deal ever). So I spent about 15 dollars in all.

After all the replacements, the computer still froze.

About 3 days ago I had it and finally got around to taking the motherboard out and having a look-see.

Turns out it's all my fault. See, when I got this computer, it had old stuff in it before I went and bought my own rig. The old motherboard was an ATX like mine and all of the mounting holes lined up so I didn't have to move any of those board riser things on the case, or so I thought.

When I pulled out my motherboard, the first thing I noticed was a screw pin sticking up in my case where no screw hole was on my motherboard. It was sitting right under the Southbridge heatsink.

Took it out, rebuilt my computer, haven't had any problems since. Hopefully it lasts forever and it was, in fact, the main cause.

Can't say I feel dumb, or even relieved, for that matter. When I use my computer I'm so used to the freezing I keep expecting it but it never comes. Hopefully I'll get back into my groove in time.

Just goes to show how careful you have to be when building your rig. Cheers to all the help, anyhow.;)

2. technonerd

technonerd New Member

hehe that damn screw, gratz :)

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

wow your extremely lucky.... usually in those situations.... the motherboard fries.... your lucky nothing else happy...

be pleased to know how lucky you are lol ;)

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

you ARE lucky....... and here i killed my old system with deodorant.........

5. thenewguy001

thenewguy001 New Member

wow, a short that didn't fry your system. You may have just used up all the good luck allocated to you for your entire life time.

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I guess you could say you really DID get screwed. ;)

Seriously, though, I'm glad you got it resolved and can now enjoy using the PC rather than spending so much time trying to fix it.

Enjoy!

7. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

WTF?

8. IEMC

That made me lol. Yah it's nice. I hope this was the real cause, too. And thanks.

Indeed, :|

I am very lucky if it was the problem, I know.

Is there a possibility it wasn't that it was a short, but rather acting as a thing that simply draws the power away from it's intent? Like, not crossing lines, but simply lowering volts? I don't know how else I could explain that, if it made sense.

9. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

If the random freezing has stopped then yeah you've definately fixed it.
    And yeah dude, you must be the luckiest guy in the world for it not to short and kill your board :/
    btw, about Kris's deoderant thing, Maybe he was trying to clean a fan with it?

10. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

well..... that time, my system had no case (i was in the middle of returning my Thermaltake Armor) so the system was laying out iin the open.

well the deodorant stick on the table (which was made of all plastic) fell about 6 inches onto the mobo, killing it permanently, no noticable physical damage is visible though......

11. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

@ kris:
    on the upside I bet the mobo smelt fine...maybe even sexy (according to the advertisements)...though that would depend on your choice of deoderant lol. At the very least it would prevent any condensation build up :D

12. IEMC

That's just a bad idea, lol.

13. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I had a similar issue twice. Once like 15 years ago, PC survived just fine. Another time about 10 years ago, motherboard died instantly.
    You were lucky. Be more careful :p