my motherboard is acting up someone help

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by ZzzombieBunny, Jun 30, 2003.

1. ZzzombieBunny

ZzzombieBunny Cake or Death?

Lately my computer has been acting weirdly, it reboots randomly and games i play crash to the desktop or lock my computer up fairly often. These are games ive plaid without any problems for a long time, infact I cant remember ever having any lockups or crashes before.

I also noticed at bootup sometimes the motherboard skips the cpu and memory detection process. If I go and edit any bios settings it always detects the cpu and memory correctly at the following boot, but after that it skips it at random...

Epox Kha8+ (latest bios)
    xp2400 266mhz bus (no overclocking)
    1x512mb pc2100 2x256mb pc2100
    HIS Radeon 9500Pro (324/300)

system temp at 30-31C and cpu 40-43c (idle) and 45-48 (at load)

2. toddsmack2k

toddsmack2k It Never.....

Hmm it could be your power supply. What type and what wattage do you have? Have you installed any new hardware recently? DO you have the latest drivers for your MB?

Welcome to DriverheavenZzzombieBunny!

3. ZzzombieBunny

I upgraded to a Qtec 450watt psu the other month, had no problems with it. Have latest drives/bios/firmware to all my hardware devices. Even formated and reinstalled windows (xp with sp1a).

It still reboots randomly leading me to think theres something wrong with either the cpu or mem or the motherboard itself.

The other week i dusted of the fans and memory, but ive checked 5 times and everything is secured and as it should be. Even cleared the cmos just incase.

I ran memtest86 to check the memory and it passed okay. The only thing thats changed is that motherboard monitor 5 detects my cpu as 2007mhz instead of 2010mhz as its been before... and my cpu temp has dropped some but it could be the weather for all i know.

4. tek

tek New Member

Looks to me like your overclocking your 9500 PRO - I have a Built By ATI 9500 PRO (276.75/270.00 stock)
    Try taking your mem/core down to stock, maybe even try different drivers?

And yeah, it could be your RAM too, are you running default timings for RAM? Default voltage for VDDR/VCORE?

5. ZzzombieBunny

Ive tried running at default clock and overclock, no difference to stability and the 324/300 has run stable for me for some month or more. no artifacts or anything.

It could be the ram, but i havent changed any settings, they are like they have been for over a year. I did try some more aggressive settings the other day but it gave me some stability issues so i reverted back to the old ones... sometime after that I noticed the bios not doing cpu / mem test at boot.

the mem is running at 2,6 and cpu at 1,66

6. toddsmack2k

toddsmack2k It Never.....

You could stress the memory while alternating between each stick. Put in one stick run the rig hard and see what happens and do it for each stick. Maybe that could pinpoint one bad stick.

7. ZzzombieBunny

Hm, ill give that a try then, although i already stress tested all the sticks at once and it all worked fine...
    My main concern is still why the computer sometimes skips the cpu / mem detection process and only checks the IDE devices, that cant be good...

8. rogeld

rogeld New Member

Concerning the POST not displaying detection, that isn't an uncommon occurence and is nothing to worry about. If you are still having stability issues, remove everything but your boot hard drive, one stick of ram, and video card and try running it like that using safe bios settings to determine if any of your other components could be causing issues. If that helps, put one component or hook up on drive at a time until problems start again. If you can pin point what is causing the stability issues, that will go a long way to stabilizing your computer. Post back here if you have any more problems and I am sure someone around here or myself will be able to help you further. Good luck.

9. ZzzombieBunny

I think i managed to pin point the cause of the random reboots... seemed i had accidently rubbed the reboot button cable when cleaning my chassi so it was going on and off at random :p

But anyway, thanks for the help everyone!

10. rogeld

rogeld New Member

Now THAT is a new one on me. Glad to hear that you fixed the issue. If it happens again, don't be hesitant to post back in this thread. Good luck to you.

11. WildChild

WildChild I'm Still Watching

Sounds like a ram problem to me ....random dumps ...freezes....etc. check your ram:evil: :evil: