My new build (with pictures)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Tril, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

Hi, I finally got all the necessary parts for my upgrade and installed everything yesterday. Here's the build :

• Thermaltake VA8003BWS case
    • XFX 1000W PRO1000W power supply
    • ASRock FATAL1TY X79 Professional motherboard
    • i7-3930K CPU
    • Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU cooler
    • 2x8GB GSKILL F3-1600C7D-16GTX R ram
    • Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 GC video card
    • Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 tv tuner
    • 4 port sata card
    • harddrives in quiet pc enclosures
    • hardrives in a Supermicro CSE-M35T-1B Black 5 bay Hot-Swapable SATA HDD Enclosure
    The ASRock FATAL1TY X79 Professional motherboard and the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU cooler are a bad match. The CPU socket is too low or the CPU cooler is too large. The first video card slot is unusable. The video card is on the second slot in this picture but I ended up placing it in the third one in the end to make the x1 slot usable.

[​IMG]

The Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU cooler and my Thermaltake VA8003BWS case are a very tight fit. The little metal parts protruding from the cooler are actually inside the plastic circle around the fan but they don't touch the fan blades.

[​IMG]

It does not show on any of the pics but I had to remove the top fins on the ram as it was too high to fit under the CPU cooler. Here's what the final build looks like.

[​IMG]

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Lookin' good bro, definitely not too shabby.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Just a thought: would there be enough room to use the top PCIe slot if you trimmed back the aluminum (just before the slot that holds the fans), and switching to a square fan for the centre instead of using the round one?

4. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

I think so. You would also have to do something with the metal wire holding the square fan. It's bent toward the card. The videocard in the third slot is running at x16 link width according to CPU-Z and it's working well in games so it will stay there.

I did a quick test with Prime95 working all the cores at 100% and I hit a maximum temp of 60°C with the core speed at 3500 MHz.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I did the motherboard swap without reinstalling Windows. I just uninstalled the Nvidia drivers before the swap and switched to the standard vga driver (maybe not necessary). I put in the new parts and rebooted. Windows booted successfully and found some drivers automatically. Windows could not find the lan driver so I installed the lan driver manually. Windows could not find some drivers related to the new cpu so I installed the latest Intel(R) Chipset Device Software and then Windows found all the necessary drivers. The only driver still missing is the usb 3 driver. I'll install it later, there's one on the motherboard website. The swap deactivated Windows and started a 3 days countdown. I clicked on activate by internet and it activated successfully.

I also activated the XMP 1.2 profile on the ram in the bios so that it runs at 1600 MHz. The strange thing is that according to CPU-Z, it's not using the values from the profile. Maybe it's normal, I don't know enough about XMP behaviour to be sure.

Here's the profile according to CPU-Z :
    Frequency : 800 MHz
    CAS# Latency : 7.0
    RAS# to CAS# : 9
    RAS# Precharge : 9
    tRAS : 25
    tRC : 32
    Command Rate : 2T

Here's the values used according to CPU-Z :
    Frequency : 800 MHz
    FSB:RAM 1:12
    CAS# Latency (CL) : 7.0
    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) : 8
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) : 8
    Cycle Time (tRAS) : 24
    Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) : 208
    Command Rate (CR) : 1T

I chose that motherboard, not because of the four videocard PCIE slots but because it had 2 PCI slots. I initially wanted to populate one PCIE x16 slot, one PCIE x1 slot and two PCI slots. It's not possible, the two slots wide videocard makes the next slot unusable. I forgot to verify the slot positions before buying. It's not a big loss because I wanted to put in a 4 port sata card but it's not necessary as there's a lot of sata ports on the motherboard.

It really makes a huge difference in games. I had a good videocard but I was CPU bound. I usually had to use a resolution lower than native and lower the settings a little. Now, I can run 2560x1440 resolution with ultra settings. I tried Hitman : Absolution at those settings and I've got good fps. That game was unplayable previously.