My next budget rig

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Randomletters, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

So far this is what im leaning towards:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately its over my budget of 600 i will likely remove the aftermarket cooling and order it at a later date.

I have a f3 1TB/Speakers/Case/Mouse+Keyboard.

what do you guys think. Im usually ok with cheaper monitors and a TN panel is still an option as Ive never had an IPS to compare the two im currently happy with TN panels. and could save $40 to put else where.

Been a while sense ive posted here so if anyone remembers me, Hello :D

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

£365 (roughly) to spend on a PC, including monitor. Ouch.
    What are you planning to do with your PC?

As it stands:
    • Drop the thermal paste. Unless you really need it, the AC cooling will have its own.
    • Change down the IPS screen. See if you can find a monitor with full HD with 5ms or less response time.
    • Consider going down the route of AMD FM1. As it has a decent graphics card built into the system it suits budget builders rather well; the processor and motherboard will be a little more expensive but you can exclude a graphics card.
    • Replace the PSU. Go for a brand like OCZ, Thermaltake, Corsair or another reputable brand. Have a look at the Corsair CX 430W.
    • Do you need a replacement optical drive? I don't know what you have at the moment but it's something to consider if you want to save the pennies.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the specs in your profile are for a PC that you're not replacing as the components that you've chosen wouldn't improve anything.

3. caqde

caqde Active Member

Takaharu FSP is one of the main PSU manufacturer's that make PSU's for rebranding companies like Thermaltake and Corsair so it is reputable.

If you plan on running art applications go for the IPS or if you are very picky about color.

Another thought is if you plan on going to bulldozer in the future I would look into getting a motherboard based on the 970 series chipset (although I know it will cost you more)

4. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Ok, I stand corrected on the PSU. They make up OCZ, Antec & Thermaltake PSUs, to name a few.
    Pain in the rectum originals always make their PSUs look so cheap.

5. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Thanks for the replies. I actually had to sell the rig i listed a few months back.

I think I am going to get a cheaper TN monitor and keep the aftermarket cooler as I enjoy overclocking.

6. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

An am3+ Motherboard would be the smart choice, its only about 30$ more for an MSI 970A-G45.

7. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Just what are you wanting to do with this system? Since you are going with the HD 6770, I'm assuming that you aren't going to do serious gaming with it.

If that's the case, then why not look at the A8-3850 APU, and a decent FM1 MB?

69.99 MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX
    119.99 AMD Phenom II X4 955
    119.99 SAPPHIRE 100328L Radeon HD 6770
    ------

VS,
    129.99 ASRock A75 EXTREME6 FM1 AMD A75
    139.99 AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz
    ------
    269.98 (Savings of 39.69)

That would put you in your $600.00 budget, and still give you a decent performing system, with room to upgrade the graphics.

8. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Nothing super heavy as far as games are concerned. Mostly 1920x1080 at medium settings.

Ive seen some reviews on AMD's apu and its just not good for gaming anything over 1280x1024 and most games are just unplayable at most settings.

That and the cpu is basically an athlon ii x 4 which, while Ive had one in the past and was content with, Id really like my newer computer to have a better (even if slightly) cpu than my last.

I dont remember direct comparisons between the apus 6550d and the 6770 but the win has to go to the 6770 by a decent margin in every category.

I changed the monitor and threw in an AM3+ Motherboard in case I can go with a bulldozer later on. I can also most likely squeeze in an aftermarket cooler on the phenom or go with a slightly better gpu and wait on the overclocking

[​IMG]

9. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

So ill have my rig money tomorrow, currently theres a combo deal for a phenom iix4 955 BE and a MSI 970A-G45 AM3+ for 190 shipped.

Anyone think its worth trying to get lucky unlocking a Phenom IIx2 555BE? If so which chipset should I go with? Would a 770 be ok? Asrock has one for 60 bucks the dual core is 90 bucks. so I would save 40 bucks which would be cool but only if its worth it......

Its tough when you have the cash in hand. Id like to save a few bucks but not if the performance hit isnt worth it. I doubt ill buy another computer in the next two years.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Unlocking the 555 BE is a crap shoot...... I've got three of them, all unlocked with no problems.

(I should start shooting dice for a living)

11. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I'm not familiar with that PSU. Have you checked the rails to see if it's quality?

edit: never mind, I should read through the whole thread first.. disregard my stupidity

12. caqde

caqde Active Member

Switching to a 770 would net you a loss in the speed of the Northbridge to southbridge link, IOMMU (bulldozer feature), otherwise you would lose SATA III in the southbridge, USB 3.0, native gigabit ethernet, and you will lose UEFI which gives support for booting from Hard Drives or Raided Drives that are larger than 2TB. As far as unlocking cores go the chipset really won't matter that much. The main thing for unlocking cores is knowing if the BIOS supports it. I have seen the feature on the last computer I built which was based off of ASUS's cheapest 970 based motherboard.